In order to keep up with the current number of requests, we're looking to expand the walkthrough team with new volunteers. So if you're interested in becoming an Overseer for the site, read on!
What does the role involve?If you've volunteered to write a walkthrough before, you'll be familiar with what overseers do. Every walkthrough on the site needs to pass through a quality check to confirm it can be used to gain all of the trophies within the corresponding game. Overseers are responsible for this quality check, on top of ensuring that the walkthrough is written in a timely fashion. They work with the writers to correct spelling, grammar, and vocabulary, while also providing advice to create the best walkthrough possible.
To summarize, the role typically includes:
We're not just looking for overseers with the technical skills. We're also eager to find those who are passionate about the role. Much of an overseer's time is spent reading and correcting walkthroughs written by members of the community. And, although having good knowledge in both spelling and grammar is crucial, it's also important to be patient. We often work with first-time writers who are unaware of how to use the editor, and sometimes even non-English writers who need a bit of assistance with the language. Being able to properly – and professionally – communicate with these writers is key, while still keeping up with the standards needed for a proper walkthrough.
- Proofreading walkthroughs that are written by the community
- Keeping track of the progress of assigned walkthroughs and writers
- Assisting writers in the use of the site editor and answering any questions they have in the process
- Staying updated on walkthrough forums and threads and commenting when necessary
- Participating in group discussions about walkthrough standards and possible improvements
What’s in it for me?As said above, the team is made up entirely of volunteers. However, overseers do receive credit for every walkthrough that they proofread on the site. In addition to this, you'll get to interact with other staff members across TGN, as well as introduce your own ideas to the walkthrough system. It's also a great way to simply interact with other members of the site.
How do I apply?In order to be considered for the role, all applicants must answer the following questions below:
- Tell us about yourself! Give your name and age, and anything else you'd like to share.
- What languages are you familiar with? Are you fluent in English?
- What games do you enjoy playing? What genres do you prefer?
- Do you have experience with writing walkthroughs? Do you write reviews, solutions, or anything else on the site?
- Have you previously applied/held a volunteer position on any of the TGN sites before?
- How much time could you commit to the team? Give an estimate for a week.
- How often do you log into the site on average per week? How often do you post?
- How would you choose to check spelling and/or grammar within a piece of writing?
- What methods would you use to discover content that is plagiarised from other sources?
- If you were assigned to a walkthrough for a game that you haven't played, how would you determine whether or not the content is accurate?
- Do you prefer to work alone or in a group? How would you prefer to communicate with other members of the team?
- Do you feel that walkthroughs should be short and simple, or long and detailed? Explain why.
- If you could make any suggestions to improve walkthroughs or the walkthrough team here on the site, what would they be?
- Do you have any questions for us? Feel free to ask about the team! Enthusiasm is always a bonus.
- And finally, proofread the following paragraph, making all necessary changes:
when u arive at the next room open th Chest too get a new item,Up on opening teh Chest. u will get an story trophee.. save now other wise u mite have to restart game if u die. On the nex t area youll fite a boss. IF u beat it with out deaths you will get trophie.but not any morebcause a pAtch broke it henceforth its unobtainable! Unless you have a physicle copie of the Game. If u do, install game offline & u can get it and also the other tropies broke In the patch… thx for using MY walk through and i hope you got all the tt score byeYour application should be submitted via a private message to me, NicoleRenee00. We ask that all applications be submitted by Sunday, July 21st, 6:00 PM UTC at the latest. Please separate each question clearly in your response.
As always, thanks to everyone in the community and good luck to all who apply! The Walkthroughs Roundup for Q2 of 2019 will be here shortly.