With the release of KINGDOM HEARTS III almost most upon us, it would appear that new information regarding the game's content continues to circulate. Subsequent to last week's trophy leak and keyblade reveals, a rather more peculiar announcement has just been made - Kingdom Hearts III will be launching without its epilogue. However, it won't affect people for very long.
Confirmed through a series of tweets, Square Enix have stipulated that Kingdom Hearts III's epilogue, presented as a video after one completes the game's story, will unavailable on the day of release. Although the developer's decision to not include the game's ending scene on launch is rather puzzling, it is not a question fans will have to ponder for long, as it is planned to be patched in the very next day (January 30th). Square Enix have taken this opportunity to confirm that various other free post-launch updates will also be available very soon. For ease of access, we have re-formatted the tweets into a chronological release schedule, which can be seen below.
Given the fact that it is unlikely (perhaps impossible) for those without pre-launch access to complete Kingdom Hearts III before the patch is released, the omission of an epilogue until the day after release should have little to no impact on any player's experience. Still, it is a rather odd thing for Square Enix to exclude so close to launch, and having to download a patch to experience the game's true ending may sit uneasily with some.
Tuesday, January 29th
- Update 1.01 (several data fixes) Memory Archive (videos)
- The Memory Archive option will be added to the game’s title menu and can be viewed at any time.
- The Memory Archive is a digest of the Kingdom Hearts story in the series up to this point.
Wednesday, January 30th
- Epilogue (video)
- Players will need to have completed Kingdom Hearts III and seen the ending to view this video.
Thursday, January 31st
- Secret (video)
- Players will need to have completed Kingdom Hearts III and seen the ending, as well as fulfilled certain criteria during play to view this video.
- The criteria vary depending on the difficulty level selected.
- The epilogue and secret movie are video content that will enhance player’s enjoyment of the world of Kingdom Hearts.
- These pieces of downloadable content are additional elements for Kingdom Hearts III
- The main game allows players to proceed to and view the ending without the need for an internet connection.
Are you excited for Kingdom Hearts III? Lets us know in the comments.
Get the biggest PlayStation news delivered straight to your inbox every week.