Red Dead Redemption 2 has been in the hearts and minds of the gaming industry for quite a while now. With its seismic anticipation pre-launch, and universal acclaim from critics after its release last month, Rockstar's latest sandbox adventure has already cemented its place as one of the true classics of this generation. With more and more players now approaching the conclusion of the game's gargantuan single-player campaign, Rockstar has begun phasing its beta rollout for its multiplayer component "Red Dead Online", whilst also providing information on what to expect.
Firstly, all gamers can expect to be playing the beta by Friday. For people with the Ultimate edition, or who played Red Dead Redemption 2 on 26th October (launch day), you can play right now. For others, please see the below schedule.
Beta Rollout Schedule
- Tuesday, November 27th: All Red Dead Redemption 2: Ultimate Edition owners. Please note, players who purchased the physical Ultimate Edition must redeem the Ultimate Edition code in the packaging to be eligible.
- Wednesday, November 28th: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 on October 26th according to our data.
- Thursday, November 29th: All players who played Red Dead Redemption 2 between October 26th to October 29th according to our data.
- Friday, November 30th: All players who own Red Dead Redemption 2.
Rockstar has also confirmed a plethora of Red Dead Online details, and what outlaws can experience with friends in the Wild West. Firstly, Red Dead Online will be getting continuous additions and updates, even whilst in beta. As soon as players have finished creating their own unique character, they are free to ride in posses with friends, embark on co-op story missions, and play head-to-head competitive modes. Players will accumulate XP in a traditional fashion, and will be able to take on "reward challenges" in 12 categories such as combat, hunting, and survival.
Honor also plays a big part in Red Dead Online, with a player's honor shifting between high and low depending on their decisions, from life and death choices to tending to their horse. Specific free roam missions will also become available depending on honor state, and a new multi-part series of co-operative missions, called "A Land of Opportunities", will be available exclusively through Red Dead Online. How these missions play out depends on how honorable (or dishonorable) players choose to be.
Finally, it should come as no surprise that Red Dead Online is stacked with new competitive game modes. The beta itself includes 5 new modes, with more to be added later. Check out the list below to see which one you want to try your hand at first.
Competition and Showdown Series Modes
Shootout & Team Shootout
- Classic gunfight modes with unlimited lives. Compete to rack up the most kills before the timer runs out. Sudden death will trigger in the event of a tie: whoever gets the first kill wins.
Make it Count
- A true test of resourcefulness in two game modes: use nothing but a bow and a handful of arrows or throwing knives to be the last one standing. With a gradually shrinking player area, there’s nowhere to run.
- A tactical race to the top. Every kill pushes you up the scoreboard, but watch out: the closer to the top you are, the more points everyone else gets for killing you.
- Work in teams to control the land. Capture a territory to start racking up points: the team with most points wins - or you can win outright by capturing every territory.
Name Your Weapon
- Demonstrate your personal specialty in this free-for-all or team-based match: the trickier the weapon you use to land the killing blow, the more points you get.
Are you excited to jump back into Red Dead Redemption 2 with this expansive online experience? Let us know in the comments.
We've got the full list of Red Dead Redemption 2 trophies - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
This game was featured in our Best PS4 Third-Person Shooters Available in 2019 article. Why not check it out to see what else made the cut?
Get the biggest PlayStation news delivered straight to your inbox every week.