While Battlefront II has been stealing the loot box headlines most recently, EA has actually had another title vying for your loot box dollars that has also been alienating fans. Of course, we're talking about Need for Speed Payback. In Payback, EA opted to remove the standard tuning and parts store and replace it with cards. That card system was accompanied by random loot boxes containing those cards. With a tightly-tuned progression curve that could end up requiring grinding for some, it's easy to see why fans were upset. I'll take 40 loot boxes, please.
Luckily for them, the developer took to reddit today to discuss some changes to the game:
It's also important to note that two changes have already been made previously since the game premiered in EA Access. Those changes reduced the rollover time for new cards while shopping in the tuning store and also increased the rewards from ranked speedlists. These changes should certainly make the game better, although only time will tell if they're enough to satisfy fans. As soon as we know what phase two is to which the reddit post alluded, we'll let you know.
If you're currently playing the game while reading this, please restart in order for the changes to come into effect.
- Increased the amount of REP awarded by taking part in events.
- Increased the amount of Bank awarded by taking part in events.
- Bait crates now reward increased REP.
- Bait crates now reward increased Bank.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased REP.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased Bank.
- Air Suspension will now appear more frequently within Shipments.
- Slightly increased REP and Bank for finishing an event outside of first place.
Today’s changes are just phase one and we have further tweaks coming. Coming shortly will be some changes to the way tune-up shops work, especially around the quality / level of parts they stock. More on that soon.
It is worth noting that we do encourage you to recycle your speed cards for tokens. Targeted rolls are a very good alternative to tune-up shops. Definitely worth buying out the parts from the tune-up shop and recycling them.
We've got the full list of Need for Speed Payback trophies - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
Check out our Best PS4 Racing Games Available in 2019 article for a compilation of other great games in this genre.