Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Report: PS5 Will Have Exclusive Titles at Launch Unlike Xbox Series X

• CanezzaCanezza74,208
  • RedthefirstRedthefirst134,902
    Posted on 13 January 20 at 15:41
    Gaming would be better off if there were less exclusives and more multi platform games. Microsoft is doing it right.
  • ZenRhinoZenRhino75,279
    Posted on 13 January 20 at 15:50
    Redthefirst said:
    Gaming would be better off if there were less exclusives and more multi platform games. Microsoft is doing it right.
    You might be better off, but Sony certainly wouldn't be!

PS4 is a run away success largely due to it's stellar line up of exclusives.

Personally, I like console exclusives. They give the boxes a personality of sorts. Otherwise, what is to really differentiate them other than the UI?
  • Posted on 13 January 20 at 17:17
    This generation has suffered from a lack of quality AAA titles, so i think more exclusives is the way forward for gaming, especially at launch. Looks like Sony are starting strong from the off...Again!
    Are we born not knowing or are we born knowing all, are we growing wiser or are we just growing tall
  • Posted on 13 January 20 at 18:21
    Redthefirst said:
    Gaming would be better off if there were less exclusives and more multi platform games.
    There's already minimal amount of exclusives, compared to the days of past. I think having a couple more wouldn't hurt gaming at all. Having exclusives gives a certain flavour to each platform, which I think is good.

Also exclusives tend to be high quality games precisely because they are exclusives and publishers give their developers plenty of freedom and time in developing and polishing their product, instead of rushing it for a quick money grab, because they know that since it's an exclusive, the better the game is, the higher chance that more people will not only buy the game itself, but also buy a respective console to play that game.

So yeah, it may not be the best for people, but I actually think it's pretty good for gaming as a whole to have these exclusive gems, as I'm pretty sure that some of these gems wouldn't be as great as they are if they wouldn't be exclusives.
    Gaelic Flame - Hybrid created from Rathalos and Kushala Daora materials. Its cut is a death sentence
  • Posted on 14 January 20 at 10:34
    While exclusives won't ever get me to buy a console at launch, they do influence my decision down the track as to whether or not I'll get "the other consoles" once I've already decided and bought my "main one".
    If there are enough quality exclusives that I am really interested in then I can justify getting another console from that generation.
    If exclusives didn't exist and everything was available on every console then I'd have no need to get more than one from that gen.
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Posted on 14 January 20 at 13:31, Edited on 14 January 20 at 13:35 by Frankie_Drums_
    PureVapour420 said:
    This generation has suffered from a lack of quality AAA titles, so i think more exclusives is the way forward for gaming, especially at launch. Looks like Sony are starting strong from the off...Again!
    A_Tennis_Giraffe said:
    While exclusives won't ever get me to buy a console at launch, they do influence my decision down the track as to whether or not I'll get "the other consoles" once I've already decided and bought my "main one".
    If there are enough quality exclusives that I am really interested in then I can justify getting another console from that generation.
    If exclusives didn't exist and everything was available on every console then I'd have no need to get more than one from that gen.
    This announcement isn't that the games will only be on Sony consoles, but rather they will be on the PS5 and NOT the PS4.

I'm guessing Horizon: Zero Dawn 2 will be one of these games. Horizon: Zero Dawn sold over 10 million copies worldwide so there's high demand for a sequel. It really showcased the power of the PS4 Pro so I'd imagine Sony will use the series for the same purpose with the PS5.
  • ZiGfrid13ZiGfrid13284,657
    Posted on 14 January 20 at 15:07
    Побольше бы игр с Сингловым режимом.
  • PSfanSPPSfanSP131,098
    Posted on 14 January 20 at 17:50
    Tell me something new please.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 14 January 20 at 20:18
    PSfanSP said:
    Tell me something new please.
    A parrot is a type of fish
    When an Xbox breaks down a PS4 opens its doors.
  • Posted on 15 January 20 at 11:00, Edited on 15 January 20 at 11:08 by superniceguy_2
    ZenRhino said:
    Redthefirst said:

Personally, I like console exclusives. They give the boxes a personality of sorts. Otherwise, what is to really differentiate them other than the UI?
    The PS4 did not have a stellar line of exclusives until about a year or so after launch.

The only exclusives PS4 had on launch day were Knack, Killzone and Resogun, almost Driveclub but got delayed and delayed and delayed, not enough worth getting a console over, whereas Xbox ONE had about 9 exclusives, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Zoo Tycoon, xbox Fitness, Killer Instinct, Lococycle, Crimson Dragon, Fighter Within. None of these were on PS4 or PC at the time.

The thing that made the PS4 the success it was, it was more powerful than Xbox ONE and cheaper, plus MS reveal at E3 2013 was off putting. Only in the end the exclusives kept it on top.

I chose the Xbox ONE at launch in 2013 over PS4 due to its high number of exclusives. I thought if they can release this many at launch then there will be loads more to come, but how wrong I was.

Following this experience I have no desire rushing to get any console at launch, although I do intend on getting PS5 day one if its BC with PS4, as my Pro gets too annoyingly noisy, and will play the PS4 games better and not hopefully not ruin the experiences by a noisy fan. Considering the PS5 is more powerful then the fans may not be needed unless running a PS5 game!

BC still not finalised and last news said Sony still working on it, and it may only be partially BC with PS3. If the PS5 is not fully BC with PS4 and only some games BC and they release a newly designed Pro which is quieter then I may buy that instead of PS5.

The PS4 needed more exclusives day one than the PS5 will do if its backwards compatible, with it being a fresh start. If you can play PS4 games on PS5 then it won't gather dust while you wait for the PS5 games to come. In the first year or so in 2014, I mainly played on my Xbox 360 over Xbox One and PS4.

On that theory there may only be one exclusive day one for PS5.

I also think that if the PS3 games were playable on PS4, games like the Last Guardian which was going to be a PS3 game would still have been a PS3 game, but it only got updated to PS4 as by the time game was ready to be released the PS4 would be in full swing and it would not sell well if on PS3 and not playable on PS4.
  • ZenRhinoZenRhino75,279
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 12:27
    superniceguy_2 said:
    ZenRhino said:
    Redthefirst said:

The PS4 did not have a stellar line of exclusives until about a year or so after launch.

The only exclusives PS4 had on launch day were Knack, Killzone and Resogun, almost Driveclub but got delayed and delayed and delayed, not enough worth getting a console over, whereas Xbox ONE had about 9 exclusives, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Zoo Tycoon, xbox Fitness, Killer Instinct, Lococycle, Crimson Dragon, Fighter Within. None of these were on PS4 or PC at the time.

The thing that made the PS4 the success it was, it was more powerful than Xbox ONE and cheaper, plus MS reveal at E3 2013 was off putting. Only in the end the exclusives kept it on top.

I chose the Xbox ONE at launch in 2013 over PS4 due to its high number of exclusives. I thought if they can release this many at launch then there will be loads more to come, but how wrong I was.

Following this experience I have no desire rushing to get any console at launch, although I do intend on getting PS5 day one if its BC with PS4, as my Pro gets too annoyingly noisy, and will play the PS4 games better and not hopefully not ruin the experiences by a noisy fan. Considering the PS5 is more powerful then the fans may not be needed unless running a PS5 game!

BC still not finalised and last news said Sony still working on it, and it may only be partially BC with PS3. If the PS5 is not fully BC with PS4 and only some games BC and they release a newly designed Pro which is quieter then I may buy that instead of PS5.

The PS4 needed more exclusives day one than the PS5 will do if its backwards compatible, with it being a fresh start. If you can play PS4 games on PS5 then it won't gather dust while you wait for the PS5 games to come. In the first year or so in 2014, I mainly played on my Xbox 360 over Xbox One and PS4.

On that theory there may only be one exclusive day one for PS5.

I also think that if the PS3 games were playable on PS4, games like the Last Guardian which was going to be a PS3 game would still have been a PS3 game, but it only got updated to PS4 as by the time game was ready to be released the PS4 would be in full swing and it would not sell well if on PS3 and not playable on PS4.
    I didn't mention launch...nor did the guy I was replying to.
  • D72shadowD72shadow694,000
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 14:41
    I switched from xbox to ps this generation because of exclusives. Launch exclusives mean little. The huge difference in fantastic exclusives over the life of the console is huge. It is really the only factor in buying a console now with the introduction of cross system play. You dont even have to buy the same system your friends play. Exclusives are the selling point unless you really have an obsession with a specific controller.
  • daemont101daemont1011,525,810
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 21:47
    Personally I think multiplayer games should be crossplay, and both companies should focus on stellar exclusive single player games.
  • Posted on 16 January 20 at 17:03
    I bought the PS4 Pro for exclusives. I have the Xbox one X as my main system. I don't regret it at all. I will be getting both systems when they come out this year too.
  • Posted on 17 January 20 at 17:07
    I see most people misunderstanding the word exclusive here.

The news is that while all Xbox Series X first-party titles will be playable on Xbox One as well for the first year or so, most PS5 titles will NOT be available for PS4 and Sony has little to no plans on making PS4 games come November 2020.
  • MayadomeMayadome523,354
    Posted on 19 January 20 at 04:35
    Knack 3 baby!

In all seriousness though, I don't really care either way. Launch titles have always been middling AAA experiences rushed out to meet console launch dates. I'd prefer "enhanced" current gen games like Halo Infinite, The Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Cyberpunk, etc, and then devs can get more time to fully harness the power of the new systems for new exclusive games.
    Feel The Ether
  • HakuMH4UHakuMH4U443,071
    Posted on 21 January 20 at 22:00
    I'll probably get the PS5 in 2022, when there are actually some games worth playing on it. I'll only get the Series X if Phantasy Star 3 comes out and is exclusive to it.
  • Posted on 28 January 20 at 05:25, Edited on 28 January 20 at 05:27 by FinderKeeper
    I can see why Sony wants to nudge PS4 gamers to buy the PS5 sooner, but I think most PS4 gamers (especially those with a PS4 Pro) would appreciate that exclusives in the first year of PS5 are released for both PS4 (or PS4 Pro) and PS5.

After a year or so PS5 will have (hopefully) had at least one holiday sale discount and a growing library of available titles, and (only) then it would make more sense to stop releasing exclusives on PS4.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads