Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Sony Entering into Agreements to Acquire Insomniac Games

AuthorMessage
BulbAssured
BulbAssured
Posted on 19 August 19 at 20:41
Insomniac Games, the studio behind Spiderman and Spyro, will be acquired by Sony

Please click here to read the story: Sony Entering into Agreements to Acquire Insomniac Games
NxtDutch
NxtDutch
Posted on 20 August 19 at 00:21
Now this is awesome. Spider-Man was amazing. And the Resistance franchise is underrated. I hope we see another Resistance in the future
Xbox is ruining gaming. They have made record profits with no games. Shifting focus on adding more & more subscriptions, with a lack of content.
OnyxVector
OnyxVector
Posted on 20 August 19 at 02:16, Edited on 20 August 19 at 04:15 by OnyxVector
Great move by Sony. A wonderful addition to the Sony stable.
ChiT0wnItalian
Posted on 20 August 19 at 02:54
This is awesome so many possibilities.
ZenRhino
ZenRhino
Posted on 20 August 19 at 07:35
I believe Insomniac also own the IP for Sunset Overdrive....I'd like to see a second game on PS5.
Najinceil
Najinceil
Posted on 20 August 19 at 11:41
I was very surprised that they didn't own them before hand, but nice to see Insomniac officially a part of the family, now!
TinCannEd
TinCannEd
Posted on 21 August 19 at 05:12
I actually don't undrstand the move. They already were working togeather on Exclusives. It's like the old addage, "Why buy the cow when you are already getting the milk....." It's not going to change anything. They will still be making tha same games. The only difference is it will be under the $ony banner.
[URL=http://www.ps3trophies.com/profile/TinCannEd][IMG]http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/11/TinCannEd.png[/IMG][/URL]
Emiinah
Emiinah
Posted on 21 August 19 at 14:26
TinCannEd said:
I actually don't undrstand the move. They already were working togeather on Exclusives. It's like the old addage, "Why buy the cow when you are already getting the milk....." It's not going to change anything. They will still be making tha same games. The only difference is it will be under the $ony banner.
Perhaps they were scared that Microsoft would buy them too for “The Initiative”.
What’s the point of nice days when stupid people are allowed to enjoy them too?
BLAKKNWHYTE
BLAKKNWHYTE
Posted on 21 August 19 at 16:38
This is a savvy acquisition by Sony. With Microsoft buying up so many studios in order to get as many exclusives as they can on the next Gen, Sony needed to start getting their hands on a few and Insomniac is no slouch.

It's going to be interesting next gen with both companies being more even with what they bring out exclusive to them.
Put your hands behind your knees and get down on your head...now!!!
NxtDutch
NxtDutch
Posted on 21 August 19 at 18:44
BLAKKNWHYTE said:
This is a savvy acquisition by Sony. With Microsoft buying up so many studios in order to get as many exclusives as they can on the next Gen, Sony needed to start getting their hands on a few and Insomniac is no slouch.

It's going to be interesting next gen with both companies being more even with what they bring out exclusive to them.
It won't be interesting really. Xbox is only interested in a bunch of smaller titles to fill out the trash, gamepASS. As well as Games as a Service. Xbox has no interest in exclusives, or single player titles. So, yeah. PlayStation will completely crush next Gen as well.

It will be really funny to get a Sunset Overdrive sequel, exclusive to Playstation
Xbox is ruining gaming. They have made record profits with no games. Shifting focus on adding more & more subscriptions, with a lack of content.
Prem-aka-Prince
Posted on 21 August 19 at 19:53, Edited on 21 August 19 at 19:55 by Prem-aka-Prince
NxtDutch said:
Now this is awesome. Spider-Man was amazing. And the Resistance franchise is underrated. I hope we see another Resistance in the future
I'm not the biggest fan of Resistance, but I think the Ratchet & Clank series was direly underappreciated (if not underrated). I don't guarantee it will come back with full force, since it doesn't appear to have been profitable, but more Spider-Man makes a lot of sense for everyone, especially with Sony having other investments in the brand.

What really makes me question this is the fact that Insomniac was at a serious low through most of the 2010's. The Ratchet & Clank series was failing to get substantial sales traction, despite extraordinary reviews and several experimental ventures (with genre, delivery format, and even price bracket).

Sunset Overdrive was their best effort at a lateral move, not only in audience (tone, age target, platform) but also in partnership. Yet it again failed to take off despite strong critical reception. It was only Spider-Man which was a grand AAA-grade success for them, and so...

Well frankly, financially you couldn't pick a worse time for the acquisition.
I never change, except in my affections.
BLAKKNWHYTE
BLAKKNWHYTE
Posted on 22 August 19 at 16:39
NxtDutch said:
BLAKKNWHYTE said:

It won't be interesting really. Xbox is only interested in a bunch of smaller titles to fill out the trash, gamepASS. As well as Games as a Service. Xbox has no interest in exclusives, or single player titles. So, yeah. PlayStation will completely crush next Gen as well.

It will be really funny to get a Sunset Overdrive sequel, exclusive to Playstation
I'm not sure I agree with this. They got trashed this gen and Phil Spencer has made some really good decisions to bring Xbox back into the fight. He's bought studios such as Double Fine which will not be content in just being Gamepass fillers, at least they won't in my opinion.

I hope Xbox does challenge, purely as when there's competition companies fight with deals to get your custom. I guess only time will tell.
Put your hands behind your knees and get down on your head...now!!!
NxtDutch
NxtDutch
Posted on 24 August 19 at 16:20, Edited on 24 August 19 at 16:24 by NxtDutch
BLAKKNWHYTE said:
NxtDutch said:
BLAKKNWHYTE said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. They got trashed this gen and Phil Spencer has made some really good decisions to bring Xbox back into the fight. He's bought studios such as Double Fine which will not be content in just being Gamepass fillers, at least they won't in my opinion.

I hope Xbox does challenge, purely as when there's competition companies fight with deals to get your custom. I guess only time will tell.
Wait... So you think Phil Spencer making the Xbox console unnecessary, a good move? As well as the push to remove the power from consumer with the same vision as 2013 just repackaged as "options". Push for all digital, and cloud. Which again puts the power in MS court. Forcing the consumer to rely on Xbox Live being up, to access their games is a good move? How about everyone else, other than those who bought their console having free access to Xbox Live's features... that's good? That's Double Standards, not good

Double Fine is the epitome of mediocrity, in my opinion. As well as inExile. Ninja Theory, and Obsidian are good pick ups, however, the exec's have said the goal is to push out 1 game every month for GamePass. Sounds like filler to me.

Only Xbox had console hardware sales plummet 48% year on year. And a lot of hardcore Xbox fans are leaving. I have over 300,000 GS on Xbox, so I truly am a unbiased opinion.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.