GTTSC 2019 – Discussion

• StingX2StingX2840,178
    Posted on 26 October 19 at 17:46
    biff_beefcake said:
    LiquidCode said:
    Im glad its not just me feeling the toll of playing all this shit. I just want to play games i enjoy too. Sorry to see you and biff finishing early but does that mean i dont have to play any more Powgi games? Please Atsuma, im begging you, are we done now? lol
    I ran out of the quick games in my backlog after pushing in the semi-finals laugh I have no idea if any of the other finalists are preparing any sort of "points bomb" or not, but certainly don't feel pressure to play games you won't enjoy on account of us, LC toast
    If my ps3 ever wants to sign in you'll see my one Costume Quest trophy! muhasahahahahah
  • Netguy503Netguy5031,811,881
    Posted on 26 October 19 at 21:33
    I've earned 13 plats today alone and im no longer in the competition....................am i doing it wrong?

Just shows i would of easily made top 10 if i hadn't had someone sneak in at the last minute (the literal last minute) to take my spot only to do absolutely nothing the very next round.
  • LiquidCodeLiquidCode1,110,127
    Posted on 26 October 19 at 22:33
    Netguy503 said:
    I've earned 13 plats today alone and im no longer in the competition....................am i doing it wrong?

Just shows i would of easily made top 10 if i hadn't had someone sneak in at the last minute (the literal last minute) to take my spot only to do absolutely nothing the very next round.
    Although its unfortunate for you that you got knocked out in week 9 it would have took you more than your last 3 months of score combined to have made it to the top 10. Don't forget the people who got through last week to get to the final had to get more than 48k worth of score in a week.

Yea it sucks that you got pipped at the post at the last min in week 9 but are you sure you could have made it past week 10 when the competition was so high that week, especially towards the end of the period?

Btw, i noticed you have a absolute ton of quick easy stack plats with only 1 or 2 trophies in each one. Why didn't you complete some of them in week 9 to stay in?
  • MurphirothMurphiroth471,830
    Posted on 26 October 19 at 22:43
    Netguy503 said:

Maybe you should have gotten those 13 plats that week instead. Or used a bonus like I did.

I'll say it again - I didn't "take your spot" as it's a competition and no one's spot is guaranteed, and I sleep days and work nights so unfortunately for you I was up getting trophies while you were sleeping. There was no "sneaking" as I just played some games and got some trophies, which I thought was the point.

Next time I'll remember the point is to let Netguy win.

Just let it go, dude.
  • Netguy503Netguy5031,811,881
    Posted on 26 October 19 at 23:15, Edited on 26 October 19 at 23:17 by Netguy503
    LiquidCode said:
    Netguy503 said:

Although its unfortunate for you that you got knocked out in week 9 it would have took you more than your last 3 months of score combined to have made it to the top 10. Don't forget the people who got through last week to get to the final had to get more than 48k worth of score in a week.

Yea it sucks that you got pipped at the post at the last min in week 9 but are you sure you could have made it past week 10 when the competition was so high that week, especially towards the end of the period?

Btw, i noticed you have a absolute ton of quick easy stack plats with only 1 or 2 trophies in each one. Why didn't you complete some of them in week 9 to stay in?
    I dont know where i only had 1 or 2 trophies for quick plats and score. the thing was i was 18 spots from the bottom. how did i think i would fall that far in mere hours? I have a a hour or two commute to my job (and a full time job on top of that) i had to get some sleep.And im pretty sure i could crack the top 10 (i think your scores are reflecting the race this week, im talking about the race from 40 to 10 last week). also i earned 13 plats (and remember i said i got 4 plats a day prior so its more like 17 plats for the week and, im not a scoring but thats got to be over 20k alone) this week and thats me not trying because im NOT in the comp anymore. im sure, scratch that i know, if i was in the comp i would of done much more.

and it saddens me more that i lost to people who just did not do anything the exact week after. it would of been much easier to take if that person really wanted the spot and showed it. in fact, and this is just a suggestion, a similar site had a trophy competition and had a "try out" period before the actual comp (the try out period was a few weeks to a month i believe, to try to get a accurate read of who was scoring and who wasnt really interested over several weeks) and then the top competitors of the try outs got in to the actual comp that lasted a few months. it sounds like alot but it made the comp really nice, tight and competitive as the people who made it in REALLY wanted to be there and worked for it. is that a possibly idea for the next go around or would that be too complicated?

Maybe I would of made the top 10 maybe I wouldn't have (i also would have had 4k in bonuses, which would be nice if we could use the bonuses whenever we wanted to like a scan to our profile and not have that "not in the last 8 hours" restriction because rewards for completing challenges shouldnt come with restrictions or it isnt that rewarding imho but i have already suggested that to a mod for a thought for next time) but I KNOW i wouldnt of made it past the top 10 and Ben has my full support taking this thing all the way home. He really is killing it and its impressive to watch (especially knowing he had such a high trophy level going into this (i.e. less choices of games to play). Really good job by everyone in the top 10 and you should be proud.
  • TheNoddyBadgerTheNoddyBadger1,342,979
    Posted on 27 October 19 at 01:27
    LiquidCode said:
    I've just had a look at the period summaries. Atsuma and myself have both got 100k for this month so far. You are a bit higher with nearly 120k. I'm not even going to comment on Ben, i think he is aiming for 200k, lol.
    To make it public, apologies, my previous comment was in reference to this.

I’m certainly not going for 200k laugh. I can’t take much more of this so I’ll go as far as I can, but I’m done with these games for a pretty long while. I have bean dive games to return to and platinum and I’m happy that they’ll take me longer than 10 min!
    Posted on 27 October 19 at 08:39, Edited on 27 October 19 at 08:41 by LiquidCode
    Netguy503 said:
    I dont know where i only had 1 or 2 trophies for quick plats and score.
    OK, for example you have 1 trophy each in 4 stacks of Neon Junctions, 2 trophies in 3 stacks of I Am The Hero, 6 trophies in 4 stacks of Paradox Soul, 1 trophy in 3 stacks of Planet RIX-13, 4 trophies in 3 stacks of Bouncy Bullets, 6 trophies in 2 stacks of Attack of the Toy Tanks, 7 trophies in 3 stacks of Cybarian: The Time Travelling Warrior, 4 trophies in 4 stacks of TETRA's Escape, i could go on. My question was why didnt you finish any of these quick easy games that all take less than an hour to complete to stay in?

Netguy503 said:
    And im pretty sure i could crack the top 10 (i think your scores are reflecting the race this week, im talking about the race from 40 to 10 last week). also i earned 13 plats (and remember i said i got 4 plats a day prior so its more like 17 plats for the week and, im not a scoring but thats got to be over 20k alone) this week and thats me not trying because im NOT in the comp anymore. im sure, scratch that i know, if i was in the comp i would of done much more.
    No, i am talking about last week. You needed over 48k to stay in. You would have needed more than twice the 20k you have earned.

Netguy503 said:
    and it saddens me more that i lost to people who just did not do anything the exact week after. it would of been much easier to take if that person really wanted the spot and showed it
    Some people just wanted to get to week 5 in the competition for the badge, some people just wanted to make it to the semi-finals (like Murphiroth), some people just wanted to make it to the finals. Not everyone is aiming to win the competition.

Netguy503 said:
    i also would have had 4k in bonuses, which would be nice if we could use the bonuses whenever we wanted to like a scan to our profile and not have that "not in the last 8 hours" restriction
    Your upset because someone earned a few more trophies than you a few minutes towards the end of a period. Imagine how you would feel if someone saved their bonuses to use 2 minutes before the end to knock you out of the competition?
  • Posted on 27 October 19 at 08:47
    BenNoddy said:
    To give some background, I’m a software tester for a living. I’m very accustomed to doing the same thing dozens of times. I realize stacking regions like this is the reason the challenge is now run differently on TA and I totally support that. What I’m doing now is pretty much testing my gaming stamina to see how many points I can get and making sure this (probably) one and only time the challenge is run under these rules is memorable.

Literally, this month alone will probably be better than my best year (2018 - 158k)

I’m exhausted, I’m tired of playing crappy games, I’m probably dehydrated, my hands are achey....100k or bust wink
    His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
    There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
    He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
    To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin'
    What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
    He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
    He's chokin', how, everybody's jokin' now
    The clocks run out, times up, over, blaow!
    Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity
    Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
    He's so mad, but he won't give up that easy? No
    He won't have it, he knows his whole back city's ropes
    It don't matter, he's dope, he knows that, but he's broke
    He's so stacked that he knows, when he goes back to his mobile home, that's when its
    Back to the lab again yo, this whole rhapsody
    He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him
  • Nelson-HellierNelson-Hellier1,103,779
    Posted on 27 October 19 at 09:12
    I can kind of see Netguy's point. To have so many people just give up in the final is a little disheartening.

Though obviously that was a failing with the way the competition was set up; i don't think you can blame anyone for not wanting to continue playing low-quality games. Especially in a week that saw Modern Warfare (campaign is great, btw) and The Outer Worlds released.

It's a shame this thing has just kind of petered out. But hey, at least we hopefully have the annual 12 days of Christmas thing to look forward to. I think most people agree that the challenges have been the most fun thing about this.

Incidentally, did anyone get the final team challenge bonus?
    Posted on 27 October 19 at 09:28
    Nelson-Hellier said:
    Incidentally, did anyone get the final team challenge bonus?
    All teams that have used bonuses in the final completed all 5 of the team challenges.
    The Atsuma Code
    You Mean You Have To Use Your Hands?!
    The Sting of the Daemon
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 00:39
    100k completed. Now to wait for the most epic of late syncs where someone jumps to 120k in the final moments! laugh
  • AtsumaKarinAtsumaKarin1,295,590
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 13:11, Edited on 28 October 19 at 13:16 by AtsumaKarin
    The winners of GTTSC 2019 are BenNoddy for the Individual Side and myself and LiquidCode in the team side as The Atsuma Code! smile

A massive congratulations to us, though that feels awkward to say. laugh I was never certain of the win until it was over as I didn't know if Nightwasp in particular would preload or indeed anyone else.

Honorable mentions go to the 2 people that passed me and Liquid and stole our podium spots in the Individual side. laugh freak_a_leak93 (cool reference, btw!) and deadjoe and You Mean You Have To Use Your Hands!? for keeping us on our toes during the week in the team side.

But tbh, everyone who made it this far are worthy champions in their own right, even if 1st place wasn't where they ended up.

Seriously, that was really hard work. Towards the end, even I'd had enough of playing junk for points, I'm glad I can take a break from that now.

Also special thanks on a personal level to my teammate Liquid for pushing on despite not wanting to. I did say to him he could stop if he couldn't take anymore as he'd done a fantastic job for the team but he still continued to gain more anyway. I couldn't have asked for a better teammate. toast
    Game Info/Genre Team Member. :D Enjoys the thrill of the GRP (Gold Rush Plat) and seeing Double (or more) Milestones in his Friend Feed!
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 13:27
    I want o reiterate about the work that was put in, even just to get to the quarter and semifinals - that was INTENSE! Period summaries for October are going to be bananas bc so many people left everything on the table just to fight for spots.

Speaking for myself - I’ve set a new record for best day and best month - and my new best month is now better than my best year by about 30k. I can never do this again unless I hoard Ratalaika and Powgi games for another 2-3 years.

I hope everyone had a great time and is proud of their new spots all over every LB! WE DID IT!! smile
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 13:42
    I would just like to congratulate everyone who made it to the finals. Congrats to BenNoddy for winning the individual competition and a big thankyou to my teammate Atsuma for motivating me in the last few days of the final. Now im just waiting for this 57GB patch to download so i can play Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
  • dwamalikidwamaliki742,809
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 14:33
    Congrats to the winners! We knew who is gonna win on Thursday though smile

Big thanks to staff for holding this interesting competition! I had a really great time!
  • Posted on 28 October 19 at 14:36, Edited on 28 October 19 at 14:38 by Retroclank-R2
    Congratulations to all participants in this year's competition.

(Now maybe my friend feed won't be a sea of Umbrella logos, Egyptian figures, and skulls with overly-accented cheekbones.)

wink
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 16:07
    I’d also like to give a special shout out to biff_beefcake and dvdmanpa. We were encouraging, motivating, and pushing each other throughout the challenge and dvdmanpa helped me figure out the regional vita trick. I appreciate them keeping me sane while doing the craziest thing in a week and month.
  • StingX2StingX2840,178
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 16:19
    Congratulations to everyone in the finals!
  • NightwaspNightwasp1,762,771
    Posted on 28 October 19 at 17:04
    Congratulations to the winners and all who participated, and of course the organizers of the event!

I know I really appreciated the competition giving me enough of a nudge to clear a decent portion of my backlog, and my goal all along was to make it to the final week in both the individual and team.

(And just for the record since it was mentioned above, I only did about 6k points worth of preloading the night before the semifinal week; I was too scared to do any more thinking it may accidentally sync early or something.)
  • Posted on 28 October 19 at 19:23
    Oh my lord is my friend feed going to slow down so I can actually see what I'm doing now?

Massive congratulations to everyone. This competition was a blast, even if I just lazily played RPG's, the adrenaline of last minute points was so much fun. GG to everyone. The winners, the runner ups, the early-on losers, and the spectators. This was a great competition. Bring on next year.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads