Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Sony Dismisses Indies, Considers PS5 To Be A "Niche" Product For Hardcore Gamers

• ShadeSplitShadeSplit787,126
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 10:03
    This will probably sound good to many people, but it doesn't sound good to me. Most of my favorite games are not "AAA". Smaller games have already been skipping out on the PS4 this past year or so. Or if they are released, it's often later on as an afterthought. Even a game like Katamari Damacy REROLL hasn't gotten a PS4 release. Also, I would think the "hardcore" would play any game that seems good, rather than just the popular AAA games.
  • Posted on 01 July 19 at 10:56, Edited on 01 July 19 at 10:58 by xONLYINHUMANx
    so they should, the amount of garbage Indie game's that are on the xbox 1 and ps4 are out of control. i would rather quality over quantity
  • Posted on 01 July 19 at 11:09
    To be fair, some indies we get on Xbox and PS are amazing, and top notch. Sure, we get a TON, and a ton of them are below standard, or just.. copy pasted, but what about the serious indie games that are phenomenal?

Imagine never experiencing Crossing Souls, or Desert Child, or Strike Suit Zero. Some 10/10 games.
  • Posted on 01 July 19 at 11:18, Edited on 01 July 19 at 11:29 by LEFT__4__DEAD__2
    Im with PSN, Sony, & SIE all the way especially with saying the worlds not ready for game streaming, I agree because many factors it would be too long to type out like anyones connection being slow or maybe a service being hacked or something else like you shouldnt be forced to have Internet just to play a game even though almost 100% of gamers have Internet it should still be optional 90% to 100% of the time depends if your playing a normal game or an MMO and so on also some indies are fun :)
    Panache! - Reincarnation!
  • Posted on 01 July 19 at 11:24
    Najinceil said:
    To be fair, some indies we get on Xbox and PS are amazing, and top notch. Sure, we get a TON, and a ton of them are below standard, or just.. copy pasted, but what about the serious indie games that are phenomenal?

Imagine never experiencing Crossing Souls, or Desert Child, or Strike Suit Zero. Some 10/10 games.
    there's only a handful of good indie game's though. i own an xbox 1 as well and the amount of garbage that microsoft allows on it is a joke. They should only allow quality indie game's and stop allowing all these crappy steam rejects on the consoles
  • ScottishNubScottishNub1,963,187
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 11:37
    I don't believe this wsj writes fake news
  • UlvenFenrirUlvenFenrir1,144,665
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 12:13, Edited on 01 July 19 at 12:13 by UlvenFenrir
    halleluja

maybe now we can get rid of shovelware
  • MonkeyBrad91MonkeyBrad91457,192
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 12:23
    I really like Indie games. Some of my favourite memories are playing games that aren't AAA. Sexy Brutale, Guacamelee, Tharsis, to name a few. I rarely play any AAA at all, in fact. I understand this focus though, and as it mentions, the ones that are worth it will make it through anyway. I just hope there's still some little gems for me to find there.
  • Posted on 01 July 19 at 12:54
    MonkeyBrad91 said:
    I just hope there's still some little gems for me to find there.
    Exactly. I am slowly falling out of touch with all the constant AAA's, and sure we get a lot of bad indies, and a lot of /okay/ indies, but occasionally you'll get the one special game that'll fall under the radar and be overshadowed by AAA releases, even though it's a gem and worth every penny.
  • Slayer1189Slayer11892,172,350
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 12:58
    What strikes me as odd here is that the words they said contradict the actions they will supposedly be taking.

"Niche Product" aimed at "Serious/Hardcore players" would mean not focusing on AAA games... AAA games are literally the opposite of niche products that are played by the widest audience possible.

There must be a problem with the translation as the two things do not add up.
  • strifekunstrifekun239,340
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 13:23, Edited on 01 July 19 at 13:26 by strifekun
    Woof. Niche product. Serious hardcore gamers. Wow. Way to alienate a huge chunk of your player base. And 8k? 4k is still pretty much in its infancy and a fad item, and Sony wants to jump ahead to 8k?? How much money does Sony think people have??? :|||

Sounds like bad ideas all around. Guess Sony got a bit too cocky with them 'winning' this console gen and lost touch with what the consumers actually want. Seems like the cycle continues.

Man, between this and cloud gaming, the future is looking pretty dang bleak.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 01 July 19 at 13:27
    Sounds like music to my ears. Good on you Sony, you're a bastion for gaming in the dark times of loot boxes, streaming subscriptions, and "live services".
  • richUKrichUK1,189,703
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 13:35
    Bearing in mind that Sony are supposedly working with Microsoft on a could infrastructure and already have Playstation NOW.. I think the angle on this story is a little wrong..?

As ScottishNub mentioned above, I'd always take anything sourced via the WSJ with a very large pinch of salt..

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-05-sony-micro...
    [URL=https://www.truetrophies.com/gamer/richUK][IMG]https://www.truetrophies.com/gamercards/richUK.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • UlvenFenrirUlvenFenrir1,144,665
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 14:25
    Najinceil said:
    MonkeyBrad91 said:
    I just hope there's still some little gems for me to find there.
    Exactly. I am slowly falling out of touch with all the constant AAA's, and sure we get a lot of bad indies, and a lot of /okay/ indies, but occasionally you'll get the one special game that'll fall under the radar and be overshadowed by AAA releases, even though it's a gem and worth every penny.
    naj will always be my gem.
  • Posted on 01 July 19 at 14:33
    UlvenFenrir said:
    naj will always be my gem.
    stop it ulven

not in public redface
  • VigilantCrowVigilantCrow548,586
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 14:34
    ScottishNub said:
    I don't believe this wsj writes fake news
    They have a history of their pundits pushing fake news. The actual reporting tends to be relatively okay, minus the occasional piece of information being left out.

As for pushing AAA, it seems like nonsense to me. People are getting tired of the same boring cookie cutter games with a different skin. It's a consequence of multiplayer games being more profitable.
  • SoragoofSoragoof39,370
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 15:07
    I'll jump in adding that it's gotten tiresome scrolling through all the crapshoots for indie games that are released on the stores between xbox and playstation nowadays. It's almost like a mini version of Steam. Terms of hardware and rumours, don't have much to say here. I'll pick up both new systems when the time is right, but the games are what are going to keep me coming back.
  • DeadStanleyDeadStanley708,207
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 15:13
    This new world has no place for Ratalaika Games.
  • StingX2StingX2840,171
    Posted on 01 July 19 at 15:36
    If we see more call of duty and less Owlboy or Yooka Laylee then I'm out and back to xbox.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads