Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Google Stadia Announced, A Universal Gaming Platform without a Console

• merciful84merciful842,168,865
    Posted on 20 March 19 at 13:41
    meh, I don't buy into the GaaS (gaming as a service) delivery model. Owning the games that I play gives me the ability to control their availability to play. Not to mention how this would only further encourage the release of day one trash (Anthem, Fallout 76, etc).
  • strifekunstrifekun239,340
    Posted on 20 March 19 at 15:08
    Not a huge fan of this. There are still places where internet is absolute shit. When everyone has internet at the same speed without paying exorbitant prices, then something like this might be good. But until ISPs stop capping data when they 'say' they don't . . . yeah, hard pass.
  • Posted on 20 March 19 at 15:11
    Will try it for free to play games but i stick to PlayStation and Nintendo :)
    Panache! - Reincarnation!
  • mysticmoshmysticmosh1,066,859
    Posted on 20 March 19 at 16:45
    Not interested at all.
  • Posted on 20 March 19 at 22:10
    I'm with all of the people above - no thankyou. Zero interest.
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Posted on 21 March 19 at 03:41
    Not Interested in this at all, I have my PS4 and my Nintendo Switch.
    these are all i need.
    https://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Aetheria3D.png
  • EmiinahEmiinah332,079
    Posted on 21 March 19 at 04:34
    I hope this won’t be the future of gaming. I prefer physical copies of my games.
    Well, you see, she’s not exactly my daughter, per se...but she does like to call me her “daddy,” so...
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET577,067
    Posted on 21 March 19 at 05:00
    If it has a mandatory universal achievement system in place day 1 or so, I would be willing to try it; otherwise it's not something I'd be interested in.
    TT Administrator and Moderator - https://www.truetrophies.com/stafflist.aspx
  • ScottishNubScottishNub1,963,187
    Posted on 21 March 19 at 11:19
    All streaming good way to cut down on using plastic, but I'm not interested until they have some brilliant games
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 21 March 19 at 12:55
    Not interested, the internet in my area hasn't got a good enough infrastructure to support it.
  • CAE9872CAE987246,047
    Posted on 23 March 19 at 17:50
    I find it strange that gamers immediately turn-up their collective noses at this. I think it is absolutely the future - one I do not necessarily want but have to accept. Games have (are) becoming just like music and movies now - having access to it is far more important than owning it, being beholden to one device, etc.

My son, 11, could not care where he can play Fornite on as long as he can play - equally so on Minecraft. That generation is growing up, whether we like it or not, without restrictive boundaries like we have.

So yeah I think its both an exciting but also very scary proposition. Having all my gaming in Google? Well not so sure - but hell if it works, and its likely to, then I will become an outlier if I dont at least concede certain benefits to it.

Yip I love owning my games and discs - and theoretically being able to put game in and play - but in reality that died a long long time ago. Almost every game, without fail, requires updates meaning I sit waiting around as much as I play sometimes.

But at the end of the day its simple - gamers will gravitate to where the good games are (or most popular).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads