Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Activision Blizzard May Cut Hundreds of Staff This Week

AuthorMessage
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 11 February 19 at 11:06
Not a great period for the behemoth publisher

Please click here to read the story: Activision Blizzard May Cut Hundreds of Staff This Week
lumpengott
lumpengott
Posted on 11 February 19 at 12:03
Poor Performance for Overwatch? Really???
Skruff4
Skruff4
Posted on 11 February 19 at 14:42
Poor Performance for Overwatch? Really???
I was wondering the same thing. I would think Heroes of the Storm would be a significantly worse performer than Overwatch, unless OW League has been struggling more than we realize.
AGNOSTICMADBALL
Posted on 11 February 19 at 15:44
Not a good way to start 2019. My thoughts and prayers goes out to everyone who may be affecteted by this. I was under the same impression with OVERWATCH. I thought the game did somewhat well with sales.
DragonessHera
DragonessHera
Posted on 11 February 19 at 21:24
Overwatch is turning 3, and it has no steady source of income flow except lootboxes, which have been demonized and are now banned in Belgium with other countries looking to do the same. Everyone who wanted Overwatch will have it by now, so it is not generating money yet it costs money to maintain the servers and create new events/skins.

A game like Diablo 3 gets very little new content, so it's easy to maintain it even though it's not generating a steady source of profit. World of Warcraft has monthly subs to keep it going and fund new content.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.