Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

GameSpy to Shut Multiplayer Servers

• PunkyliarPunkyliar79,382
  • Posted on 05 April 14 at 00:36
    This will be a real bummer for a lot of gamers. I expect we'll be seeing a lot of boosting sessions go up for many of the games on the list.

Thankfully I think I'm going to be pretty much unaffected, as I've either already played them on Xbox or have no interest in playing them in the future.
  • RuffusRuffus84,443
    Posted on 05 April 14 at 01:56
    Age of Booty's trophies can be obtained with 2 controllers, unsure if the servers would still be required for that though.
    ~Ruffus~
    Posted on 05 April 14 at 09:53, Edited on 05 April 14 at 09:53 by Punkyliar
    Ruffus said:
    Age of Booty's trophies can be obtained with 2 controllers, unsure if the servers would still be required for that though.
    They have two trophies that state that you have to win public matches online. I do seem to think that this can be done with four controllers on the same console, but an online connection is definitely required.
  • mcnichojmcnichoj89,779
    Posted on 05 April 14 at 10:53
    Some notes: CellFactor has been down (had two online trophies) as is 50 Cent (which had a bunch).
    FairyTail Fights HK is no longer purchasable (it violated a PSN rule) and was never possible to complete anyway becuase the trophies after a certain percentage wouldn't sync.

A bigger lsit of GameSpy games that is still being added on to can be found here:
    www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/general-games-discussion/231000-gamespy-services-will-ending-may-31st-2014-assistance-needed.html
  • Posted on 05 April 14 at 14:03
    Mentioned this in Shadow's blog, but whilst this news really doesn't affect me, it is a great shame for gamers hoping to play some of those games, many of which I imagine are gamers either looking to pick up some good bargains, or who might be new to gaming on the PS3.

I think the bigger worry is how more and more servers are slowly been taken down, or running into some sort of troubles, which in a world of strong MP gaming, has to be a concern.
    Posted on 05 April 14 at 14:44
    mcnichoj said:
    Some notes: CellFactor has been down (had two online trophies) as is 50 Cent (which had a bunch).
    FairyTail Fights HK is no longer purchasable (it violated a PSN rule) and was never possible to complete anyway becuase the trophies after a certain percentage wouldn't sync.
    I've changed the article to reflect this information. Thanks!

A bigger list of GameSpy games that is still being added on to can be found here:
    www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/general-games-discussion/231000-gamespy-services-will-ending-may-31st-2014-assistance-needed.html
    I'm a bit sceptical of that list. Rockstar haven't announced anything official, although IGN had "sources" that reckons that their games are safe. Gearbox hasn't announced anything either -- they referred people to 2K who refused to comment. As mentioned above, UFC Undisputed 2010 is already down. Finally, according to GameSpy's own list, they didn't support Battlefield Bad Company 2, Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing, Battlefield 1943 or Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood on PS3.
  • Posted on 05 April 14 at 20:36
    Back in the day, GameSpy used to be the only thing you would load to search for your favorite FPS servers. Of course, back then you also had to convince your parents to send you to college so that you could live on campus and have a 20ms ping time, pretty much everyone playing had 350+ms times :) It was an invaluable tool in finding the lowest pinging servers for the best experiences, and often you would queue up and wait to get into some of the best servers out there.
  • kingbigumskingbigums105,912
    Posted on 05 April 14 at 23:32
    Damn I really wanted to get Fear 2 again and finally get the multiplayer achievements but, i'm way to busy with school and work shit to have to buy it and play it non stop for the next weeks.
  • ashleyj1988ashleyj1988168,907
    Posted on 06 April 14 at 01:25
    Aw looks like I am going to be super busy for a while.
  • Posted on 06 April 14 at 04:47
    what about mortal kombat 9? basic and complete edition?? the back cover says 'Powered by Gamespy.'
    Posted on 06 April 14 at 10:31
    King_Tone924 said:
    what about mortal kombat 9? basic and complete edition?? the back cover says 'Powered by Gamespy.'
    They fell into the other titles from 2011 and 2012 that are also affected but that I'm unaware about. I've added the Mortal Kombats to the list. Now that I have more time, I'm also going to have a look at some other titles too.
  • Posted on 07 April 14 at 03:50
    ^thanks!

also, does anybody know if the borderlands dlc need multiplayer? or would I be able to complete it myself on my own?
  • Posted on 07 April 14 at 09:05, Edited on 09 April 14 at 20:37 by DeathofRats09
    i'll have to play borderlands and red dead redemption online then. thanks thought for the info.

i have heard that red dead redemption should still be online, but will wait and see
    Posted on 07 April 14 at 12:41
    King_Tone924 said:
    also, does anybody know if the borderlands dlc need multiplayer? or would I be able to complete it myself on my own?
    Technically it can be completed on your own, but Crawmerax would be a hell of a fight for one person without the right setup, and Moxxi would be a challenge too.
  • kurt1271kurt127195,889
    Posted on 15 April 14 at 16:56
    Just a heads up. Guardians of Middle Earth is now gone from the PS store, so I think its a safe bet that this is going to shut down on May 31.
  • InFlamez80InFlamez8035,065
    Posted on 02 June 14 at 05:31, Edited on 02 June 14 at 05:31 by InFlamez80
    MkvsDC Universe is Still Online lol
  • Posted on 02 June 14 at 17:41
    Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars just got a patch which, among improvements, transfers the online to their own system. They also removed ranked online so now there is only one standard online, and consequently the descriptions for ranked trophies have been slightly modified.
    http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10133#p...
    =Semper Fi=
  • ZZRsyZZRsy14,576
  • Harris59Harris59975,503
    Posted on 14 May 16 at 15:41
    ZZRsy said:Please sign.
    https://www.change.org/p/monolith-productions-revive-the-mul...
    I'm not signing it because of the reason why people are signing it, it's all about entitlement to trophies, people want to get the trophies now when they had every opportunity to get them beforehand...

I would sign it IF those who signed it actually cared about regularly playing the multiplayer, all that's going to happen if the servers go up is a surge of activity (mostly boosting) then back to a dead multiplayer... There's a reason servers close, usually because the games dead and it's not worth the cost to keep it running.

It's the same for a lot of games people ask to come back, it's always just to get some damn trophies, usually by boosting anyway... There's no real reason to bring the servers back for any of these old games... No one plays them!
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.