Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Analysis: Beyond The Walking Dead, No One Has Been Playing Telltale Games

• Posted on 29 September 18 at 18:42
    I never really comment on this stuff, but I feel the need to say something here.

I have played through every episode of every COMPLETE Telltale game in that list. I have not touched Minecraft season 2 or the final season of The Walking Dead. I have loved the stories of all the games. Minecraft story mode even made me shed a tear or two.

I don't like to invest in incomplete games and that is the very nature of episodic games.

And my fear has come to pass. People paid for a season's pass and are not sure of if they're going to get what they paid for. And this is true of the physical versions as well. The first two seasons of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us were available on disc, IN FULL. After that they started releasing season's pass discs, which amounted to being worth even less than the digital because the first episode was on the disc and then you could download the rest but the rest had to be played with the disc in the drive and content downloaded.

And this was the downfall. The disc wasn't locked. I borrowed it from a friend and beat it for free. So did a lot of people. I also borrowed a couple of them from the local library. I would gladly buy them (and I bought the first season of Batman and the first season of Minecraft on the Switch) if they included all of the episodes on disc.

In fact, the most baffling of decisions was Game of Thrones. I believe on PS4 it was just the first episode and on Xbox One it was 5 of the 6 episodes. Why not just wait for the sixth episode to drop and add it to the disc. Or even better, release the full thing a month before episode 6 does digitally to milk people. I'm not saying that I condone the practice, but there were many ways they could have managed it better.

Another factor was they had a bit of success and then decided to go crazy and release all sorts of games instead of growing slowly and build anticipation for the episodes and such.

Finally, they built these games with the promise of having epic decisions with consequences, except that the consequences of all your decisions were nerfed in the next game.

At the end of season 2 of The Walking Dead, you have 3 VERY different outcomes. I won't spoil anything since these games are story-based, but the point is Clem's journey afterwards should be very varied in the following season. This is not the case. Season 3 has Javier as the star and basically fixes what happened to Clem since the end of season 2. This made me feel like I wasted my time making decisions because all of the outcomes aren't even represented. And this was the worst offense. The selling point of these games is totally negated by this mechanic.

Oh well, RIP telltale. I wish the former employees and their families well, and I hope the people who have paid for content will receive it, but Telltale's management have no one to blame but themselves.

Cheers :)
  • Posted on 29 September 18 at 21:04, Edited on 29 September 18 at 21:17 by DementedSnail
    The problem was that their games were boring as hell. Straight up. There are similar games with BETTER graphics, physics & stories than any TTG game. TellTale relied on the notoriety of IP's, not the quality, to sell their product. The fact most of their games come with a garunteed platinum, yet people STILL don't finish it, is a telling sign.

I bet the reason they were giving out so many of their games on PS+ & GWG was because they were in financial trouble a year or 2 ago. Get a big, large lump some from Sony & Microsoft instead of hoping & praying for purchases.

C'est la vie.....
  • Posted on 30 September 18 at 00:18
    Drago_Museveni said:
    I have played through every episode of every COMPLETE Telltale game in that list. I have not touched Minecraft season 2 or the final season of The Walking Dead.
    Minecraft Season 2 is complete, though...

Drago_Museveni said:
    After that they started releasing season's pass discs, which amounted to being worth even less than the digital because the first episode was on the disc and then you could download the rest but the rest had to be played with the disc in the drive and content downloaded.
    Not as convenient, but as you mentioned, they allowed for resale or lending. Personally, I thought that made up for the inconvenience.

Drago_Museveni said:
    Or even better, release the full thing a month before episode 6 does digitally to milk people.
    Telltale didn't have stuff done that far in advance.
  • Posted on 30 September 18 at 05:11
    XxSoWxXJames said:
    From what I can see people have been playing games from Telltale. Otherwise there would not even be a chart.
    Thanks for posting this, Captain Obvious
  • GolfbraniacGolfbraniac174,745
    Posted on 30 September 18 at 12:07
    You guys forgot Sam & Max Series 1 & 2 though, on the Xbox 360/ One..... that was also a Telltale Games series.....
  • Posted on 30 September 18 at 16:00
    Golfbraniac said:
    You guys forgot Sam & Max Series 1 & 2 though, on the Xbox 360/ One..... that was also a Telltale Games series.....
    Those were by Telltale, but those aren't examples of the narrative adventures that have come to define Telltale's games from The Walking Dead forward, and that the post was focused on.

(Possibly from Jurassic Park forward - it's been a while since I played it but I thought it was very much a prototype for their current style.)
  • Jenova_20Jenova_20315,278
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 09:47
    I've played many of their games that i've got free on PS+ and always found them overhyped, poor, and hugely overpriced.

I paid about £5 for chapter 1 of the Walking Dead when it was on Xbox 360, but the new ones launch around £15 each and are not worth it. Add their overpriced confusing season passes in and the studio is just ripping gamers off.
  • Jenova_20Jenova_20315,278
    Posted on 01 October 18 at 09:49
    Actually, looking back - I think i paid £3 for season 1 of the Walking Dead...
  • Posted on 23 October 18 at 19:55
    yannyb83 said:
    I will tell you why I stopped buying Telltale games despite my love for them... PS Plus / Games with Gold. They were giving so many away that I figured I could wait til they were free.

If there are others who share my cynical attitude it's not surprising sales fell.
    Same here
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.