Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Sony's PlayStation Hits Range Provides Modern Classics At Reduced Prices

• StuTheChiefStuTheChief4,096,566
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 19:45
    Good price for the Yakuza games if you're a collector of physical copies.

All the other games not so much
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 21:33, Edited on 19 June 18 at 21:35 by Teh_Paralyzer
    I don't recall Platnium Hits on PlayStation. That was an Xbox thing.

PlayStation had Greatest Hits and Nintendo had Player's Choice.

Was EU different than America?
  • darkchris23darkchris23552,646
    Posted on 19 June 18 at 21:48
    yakuza 0 definetly going to pick up already own the other one and bloodborne
  • Posted on 19 June 18 at 22:11
    Teh_Paralyzer said:
    I don't recall Platnium Hits on PlayStation. That was an Xbox thing.

PlayStation had Greatest Hits and Nintendo had Player's Choice.

Was EU different than America?
    Seems like there was a whole bunch of names depending on the time and place you were playing in - this is from the wikipedia entry for the range:

"Essentials is the Sony PlayStation budget range in the PAL region, which covers Europe, the Middle East, Asia-Pacific and Africa. It was launched in January 1997 as the Platinum range[1] but was later renamed for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. Similar budget ranges from Sony include the Greatest Hits and The Best labels for the North American and Japanese markets, respectively."

I only remember the Platinum name so strongly because it was around when I was first old enough to buy my own games!
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 00:03
    Heh interesting.
  • PuchtecaPuchteca216,616
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 00:57
    well, most of those could be found for $19.99 at walmart/target anyway. Nice to make it official I guess.
  • strifekunstrifekun168,027
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 08:42
    Very nice. I actually want several of those titles, but none of them were ever considered priorities as I was more interested in other games. Seems like an ideal time to pick a few up.
  • Posted on 20 June 18 at 10:54
    Excellent! I feared that the growing popularity of digital releases had doomed the "Greatest Hits" re-release of physical games. Moar plz!
  • boldfox85boldfox85524,947
    Posted on 20 June 18 at 13:51
    No silver boxes. Joy :D

Seriously though I hated them. And some games are quite tough to find in their black/blue cases. Call me picky or OCD but I hated how the silver cases clashed with the originals.

But it is nice to see this format return. It's a nice way to drop the price and make the game feel kind of new again.
    GT: boldfoxrd
  • Posted on 21 June 18 at 19:46
    Essentials / platinum
  • Posted on 21 June 18 at 22:08
    Any word on if these prices will be the same on the PSN Store?
  • Posted on 22 June 18 at 07:47
    I really hate the essentials/platinum/classic/selects covers that Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo use! I always avoid buying these if possible, and will even pay a bit more to have the "good" covers.

That said, due to the fact the "good" covers then become collectors items, they often go for ridiculous prices compared to these crap covers, so unfortunately none of my game collections for any system are perfect, since sometimes I'm really left with no choice but to get the ugly ones facepalm
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Posted on 27 June 18 at 05:19
    @ A_Tennis_Giraffe - I feel the same way man, in US ps1 era was Neon Green label, ps2 era kept balck cases but red label, ps3 had red case and red label and bigger label that shrunk artwork even more(terrible). Honestly if i cant find an original label game i just find a Iso and play that untili can finally find a pure oringal copy.
    Edward Temple Jones
  • ccfman2004ccfman2004137,045
    Posted on 18 September 18 at 08:47
    Depending on the game I prefer the "Greatest Hits" edition as it fixed any game stopping bugs like Jak X's game save bug which would corrupt your save anytime the game froze during saving. In this game finding the Greatest Hits version was extremely hard.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.