Playstation 3

Forum for Playstation 3 related things. No troubleshooting or specific game discussion threads here, though. There are forums for those.

PS3 in 2018..

• Posted on 28 December 17 at 12:11
    As the title suggests is it worth getting a PS3 in 2018, and if the PS3 servers will be shut off anytime soon.

As I've got an Xbox 360/One I enjoy achievements I would like to start collecting trophies.
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper314,929
    Posted on 28 December 17 at 21:16
    PS3 is still going strong although individual game servers are being shut off every once in a while. The Killzone 2 and 3 servers are being shut off in March along with a few other games.

I would definitely still recommend getting a PS3, a good amount of games are still last gen only.
  • ArmyVaultArmyVault306,839
    Posted on 28 December 17 at 23:16
    I still have my launch PS3 and I would definitely recommend that you get yourself this awesome console. However, do not overpay for it. It is dated a bit and slowly but surely it is being phased out. If you are not a completionist I highly recommend getting the Resistance series. Fun games (co-op campaign!) with a great story.

Beyond Two Souls is one of my all time favorites as well!
  • LeigrezLeigrez1,698,844
    Posted on 12 February 18 at 01:32
    I would recommend Last of Us and Uncharted Series to jump into. Servers are running still, but if you are a completionist it is time consuming. I would still highly recommend it based on the incredible stories though. Also Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter Series are quite fun and great.
    [URL=https://www.truetrophies.com/gamer/Leigrez][IMG]https://www.truetrophies.com/gamercards/Leigrez.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • bighatpaulbighatpaul131,653
    Posted on 11 March 18 at 18:54
    The PS3 is one of the greatest consoles in my opinion. The menu is slick, the games are fun and it's light years quieter than the Xbox. You can snag a console for cheap and the games for cheap as well. Highly recommended.
    Join us at the TrueConsoles Discord! https://discord.gg/bh2c78a
  • Posted on 13 March 18 at 01:14
    I was exclusively a 360 gamer until the PS4 got announced and I eventually decided to grab myself a PS3 purely for the PS exclusives which I don't regret at all. There are many fantastic games available for very reasonable prices now, so I would say it's definitely worth it if any of the exclusives interest you.

I don't know what genres you're into but some that I can recommend would be:
    Gran Turismo series
    Killzone series
    Resistance series
    LittleBigPlanet series
    Motorstorm series
    ModNation Racers
    PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Posted on 26 June 18 at 09:36
    I bought my first ever PS3 last week, having been on Xbox until now. If there are PS3-only games you want then absolutely it's worth it. I got it primarily for Ridge Racer 7 and Gran Turismo and for those games alone it was worth it for me. (Shame Ridge Racer doesn't have trophies but I knew that beforehand.)
  • Posted on 26 June 18 at 12:17
    scr3amsquad said:
    The PS3 is one of the greatest consoles in my opinion. The menu is slick, the games are fun and it's light years quieter than the Xbox. You can snag a console for cheap and the games for cheap as well. Highly recommended.
    My Xbox 360-E is very quiet. Also unlike the PS3, you can install (almost) any game and other than the initial disc check, it runs off the HDD entirely. Whereas PS3 games still use the blu-ray to some extent even when installed, and far from all games let you install them.

Coming from Xbox, I've found the PS3's menus a bit of a mess - far too many similar-sounding options to scroll through. Also it doesn't auto-sync trophies, which I find incredible when Xbox has always done this with its achievements.
  • davem300490davem300490468,557
    Posted on 27 June 18 at 06:20
    FullNietzsche said:
    scr3amsquad said:
    My Xbox 360-E is very quiet. Also unlike the PS3, you can install (almost) any game and other than the initial disc check, it runs off the HDD entirely. Whereas PS3 games still use the blu-ray to some extent even when installed, and far from all games let you install them.

Coming from Xbox, I've found the PS3's menus a bit of a mess - far too many similar-sounding options to scroll through. Also it doesn't auto-sync trophies, which I find incredible when Xbox has always done this with its achievements.
    When the PS3 launched back in the yester-years, they launched with NO trophies but a year or so down the line they decided to implement trophies to the console which was a great idea. The PS4 now auto sync's your trophies for you.
    Walkthrough Assistant Manager. General all round nice guy
  • Posted on 27 June 18 at 13:05
    davem300490 said:
    FullNietzsche said:
    scr3amsquad said:

When the PS3 launched back in the yester-years, they launched with NO trophies but a year or so down the line they decided to implement trophies to the console which was a great idea. The PS4 now auto sync's your trophies for you.
    Yeah I just wonder why they couldn't have added the functionality afterwards really. I found an auto-sync option of sorts in the PS3's menus but it just lets your console connect at a specified time once a day, and you need to have PlayStation Plus to use it laugh

Hopefully the PS4 is like Xbox and informs the server immediately when you win a trophy, and without needing Plus.
    Posted on 28 August 18 at 11:41
    FullNietzsche said:
    Hopefully the PS4 is like Xbox and informs the server immediately when you win a trophy, and without needing Plus.
    You do not need plus to sync trophies, but it definitely still needs to sync by selecting the trophy tab. You don't have to actually do anything, it will auto sync, but you will have to open trophies to do so.
    There are three kinds of people in this world. People who can count and people who can't.
    Posted on 28 August 18 at 11:45
    FullNietzsche said:
    I bought my first ever PS3 last week, having been on Xbox until now. If there are PS3-only games you want then absolutely it's worth it. I got it primarily for Ridge Racer 7 and Gran Turismo and for those games alone it was worth it for me. (Shame Ridge Racer doesn't have trophies but I knew that beforehand.)
    Good news, bad news... Good news is that Ridge Racer: Unbounded has trophies for PS3. The bad news, the online services have been cancelled nullifying 11 trophies and an unobtainable platinum unfortunately.
    There are three kinds of people in this world. People who can count and people who can't.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 26 September 18 at 09:34
    PS3 is a fantastic console and well worth playing, even if only for the games that are still exclusive for it... however, many of the best PS3 games have been ported to PS4 now and it's hard to honestly recommend getting a PS3 when you can get a PS4 and enjoy an upgraded version of the majority of the games I'd recommend.

If you're on a budget, PS3 is a good option and many great PS4 games that many people think of as current gen games, (like GTA 5 and The Last Of Us), still have PS3 releases that are entirely playable and enjoyable as they are. That's what happens I guess when re-releases and remasters are so commonplace.

I have both a PS4 and PS3 and I play them both almost daily depending on which game I want to play at the time. If you have a Xbox 360, these games are multiplats so maybe not the best suggestions but still. I'd definitely get Red Dead Redemption, Alice: Madness Returns, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, GTA 4, and Fallout 3 are all games I'd recommend that as far as I know have no PS4 re-release

Most of the best loved PS3 games though have PS4 re-releases now. Theres: the Uncharted series, the Darksiders series, The Last Of Us, God Of War 3, DmC: Devil May Cry, the Batman Arkham series, the Bioshock series, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, all the Assassin's Creed games (except AC1), the Metro series, the new Tomb Raider series, Shadow Of Mordor, Persona 5, GTA 5, the Dark Souls series, the Saints Row series, Skyrim, Diablo 3 etc. etc. etc.

The problem with last gen is... it was almost entirely remade and re-released this gen. So there's very little reason to go back to PS3 unless you already own it like I do.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads