Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Let's Talk About Neo

• Posted on 18 July 16 at 12:43
    Let me try to assuage your fears about the end of gaming as we know it

Please click here to read the story: Let's Talk About Neo
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET577,067
    Posted on 18 July 16 at 16:26
    The thing I've always like about consoles is their simplicity. You buy a single device and it's supported for a number of years and you know that you can buy a game for it and it works out of the box. With PC gaming, it was always a little more complex and I feel like the Neo (and Xbox Scorpio) are trying to be more PC than console. I love PC gaming, but having to upgrade a rig every now and then, gets expensive.

I still think the longer than usual generation of 360 and PS3, surprised the 2 companies and their were a lot other factors that contributed to that longer generation. Anyways, I think the PS4 and XB1 were likely rushed to market as under-powered devices; and this an attempt to prolong the generation until the PS5 and next Xbox arrives.

Conspiracy theory perhaps, but its a change I don't want or like.
    Remember to give credit to the person who got you to join the site!
  • CormyreCormyre41,052
    Posted on 18 July 16 at 16:56
    The new iteration is needed if consoles have any chance at VR. I think VR took the console makers by surprise, and they want in the game, and realized they were under-powered.

Which makes me question the schedule of releases, PSVR comes out before the Neo, so we're either looking at "lighter" games that the current system can handle fine and keep at 60FPS with "heavier" games perhaps in development being asked to hold back for the moment; or Sony will release the PSVR with no restrictions and face the consequences of a probable bad experience for some games (and tarnish it's reception) until the Neo is released.

At any rate, ready to strip the 1TB SSD from my current PS4 and throw it into a Neo, bring it!
  • Posted on 18 July 16 at 18:10
    Shorter console cycles are now a necessity otherwise mobile devices will overtake them in power within a few short years.

I'm all for it.
  • LordNimon99LordNimon99512,736
    Posted on 18 July 16 at 21:57
    If the base experience with an original PS4 is adequate, there is no reason to think that this will be the end of console gaming, but it certainly is a change to console gaming as we have known it. Do I have a problem with someone putting down more money and having a better console gaming experience than me? Definitely not! I like the fact that there are will be options. I don't have to spend extra money to continue console gaming, but if I want the next level of performance, there is something out there to buy.
  • strifekunstrifekun239,340
    Posted on 19 July 16 at 03:40
    I agree with Cormyre - the only reason they're doing a new console, is for VR. VR was all but dead, but out of the blue something happened and it suddenly became the 'it' thing. Now everyone is on the VR wagon, but the problem is that it's difficult to keep up.

If VR had become popular before the new consoles, then obviously, the new consoles would have been integrated with VR capabilities, but because VR was so slow in its development, it took longer. And because it took longer, 'new' consoles.

This isn't anything like the 3DS to the New 3DS where you /had/ to buy the New 3DS in order to play the new games or you couldn't play them period. No one should be worried about this - especially on Sony's end. I feel like Sony's been honest about what they're doing, so if they say that it's only going to be minor upgrades and the games can be played on both consoles - then that's what's going to happen.
  • mysticmoshmysticmosh1,066,936
    Posted on 19 July 16 at 07:07
    I don't want or need VR. Gaming is meant to be an escape from reality, a release from pressures of normal life. The last thing I would want or play is a virtual extension of reality. I don't want to feel like I'm there, it just does not appeal to me at all. I wouldn't even consider buying a Neo or a Scorpio just for a faster frame rate or prettier looking games that I think look pretty amazing already on a console I've owned for nearly 3 years. The next console (if it is a console) I buy would be a ps5, not an extension of something I already own. And please, enough of the phone stuff. I shut my smart phone down months ago after looking at the human race walking around oblivious to one another just looking down at a screen akin to a hoard of electronic zombies. I'm going back to my cave now to draw what I think about all this on the wall!.smile
  • Posted on 19 July 16 at 14:17
    Just another way of pinching consumers and making money! Not going to work with me. I am perfectly fine with my PS4 and XBOX 360. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the current state of console gaming. I don't agree with trying to upgrade consoles to work similar to PC gaming.
  • Posted on 19 July 16 at 15:22
    "Considering Sony's generally great track record with supporting its hardware..." like Vita, Move, PSP, PS Camera, Wonderbook, PS Eye, Life with playstation... (the last one's software, but still sad about it).
    They have a history of putting their money into their main hardware like PS2, yeah, but as soon as something's expendable to them you can forget about it getting real support.
    LordNimon99 said:
    If the base experience with an original PS4 is adequate, there is no reason to think that this will be the end of console gaming, but it certainly is a change to console gaming as we have known it. Do I have a problem with someone putting down more money and having a better console gaming experience than me? Definitely not! I like the fact that there are will be options. I don't have to spend extra money to continue console gaming, but if I want the next level of performance, there is something out there to buy.
    I agree with this comment point after point. The closing comment of the article, "...it could benefit you immensely, even if you don't partake in it yourself." I don't think the article has anywhere explained what benefit there is for people who have a base PS4- and the ability to play future games is not a benefit. PS4's not even 3 years old, so the ability to play next year's games is not anything less than to be expected. PS1, 2, and 3 were all in the region of 6 years launch-to-launch, 7 for PS3.

The tangent about glorifying phones was completely irrelevant, but it's a good article overall, thanks.
    I'm sure I had a signature before...
  • Posted on 20 July 16 at 00:00
    Benefits
    What such a system provides is choice. A BG (Beyond Generations) console provides the ability to play any game past or future provided that the system is powerful enough to run it. There would no longer be an excuse for leaving games behind, spending years researching emulation, or spending extra money on remasters. Older games would be able to function as a matter of course (for the most part), and newer games that don't require a lot of horsepower have an opportunity to play on older hardware that didn't exist before. Simply put, you may be able to play some of the games designed for whatever hardware comes after the Neo on the base model PS4 that you already have.
    Uh bollocks. This would only cause more confusion and frustation for buyers that aren't gamers themselves, or buyers who don't read up on this stuff beyond the console and number. Yes, fine, it can play BC games from years back, but seriously. This is what I hate about this idea of making the consoles more like PC. I've hated the idea of upgradeable console since day 1. There's a frikking reason I play console over PC and that's because it works out of the gate and I don't have to tinker with the software or hardware to make it work.

strifekun said:
    VR was all but dead, but out of the blue something happened and it suddenly became the 'it' thing. Now everyone is on the VR wagon, but the problem is that it's difficult to keep up.
    Oculus Rift happened.

strifekun said:
    This isn't anything like the 3DS to the New 3DS where you /had/ to buy the New 3DS in order to play the new games or you couldn't play them period.
    Please know your stuff before using it as argument - the thing about the 3DS to the new 3DS that there were only less than a handful games that couldn't be played on the 3DS.
    This is my signature.
    Posted on 20 July 16 at 02:48
    Twinkling82 said:
    strifekun said:
    VR was all but dead, but out of the blue something happened and it suddenly became the 'it' thing. Now everyone is on the VR wagon, but the problem is that it's difficult to keep up.
    Oculus Rift happened.
    Not big into VR, not really keeping an eye on it. So when VR suddenly becomes the 'it' thing - not sure what happened, also, don't really care? I can't afford it.

Twinkling82 said:
    strifekun said:
    This isn't anything like the 3DS to the New 3DS where you /had/ to buy the New 3DS in order to play the new games or you couldn't play them period.
    Please know your stuff before using it as argument - the thing about the 3DS to the new 3DS that there were only less than a handful games that couldn't be played on the 3DS.
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/5-upcoming-exclusive-ga...
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1177455

The new 3DS has only been out for about a year now (for the US). So the amount of exclusives to it aren't high in number, but they are coming. And anything that adds new or extra content to a game that can be only access on a certain system, certainly makes the game feel like it has exclusive DLC; at least that's how I feel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Posted on 20 July 16 at 04:16
    I am sorry, but 8 exclusives games over a year is not many. However I am not arguing with you that it is a problem, and the console should have gotten a (another) new name with the note being able to play all 3DS games.
    This is my signature.
    Posted on 20 July 16 at 05:23
    Twinkling82 said:
    I am sorry, but 8 exclusives games over a year is not many. However I am not arguing with you that it is a problem, and the console should have gotten a (another) new name with the note being able to play all 3DS games.
    Wasn't trying to be argumentative, sorry if it seemed that I was. You are right though, 8 isn't a lot; even with more coming. But yeah, Nintendo has a pretty bad history of marketing their products.
  • Posted on 20 July 16 at 08:08
    strifekun said:
    ...This isn't anything like the 3DS to the New 3DS where you /had/ to buy the New 3DS in order to play the new games or you couldn't play them period. No one should be worried about this...
    nothing wrong with this statement actually
    I'm sure I had a signature before...
  • Posted on 20 July 16 at 10:43, Edited on 20 July 16 at 10:45 by ExtremePhobia
    Twinkling82 said:
    Uh bollocks. This would only cause more confusion and frustation for buyers that aren't gamers themselves, or buyers who don't read up on this stuff beyond the console and number. Yes, fine, it can play BC games from years back, but seriously. This is what I hate about this idea of making the consoles more like PC. I've hated the idea of upgradeable console since day 1. There's a frikking reason I play console over PC and that's because it works out of the gate and I don't have to tinker with the software or hardware to make it work.
    Just a counter argument, if I may.

If I give you a free Neo, would you REALLY expect to do anything more than sync your controller, update the firmware (which is automatic, and already part of the PS4), and log in to your PSN account?

Without hyperbole, buying a mew microwave is going to be more complicated than buying a new PlayStation. Target has 75 different models of microwave. How many watts? What size? Will it fit on the counter where the last one did? How long will it take to adjust to the new cooking times?

When you go to buy a PlayStation: Do you want the 2013 model, the 2017 model, or the 2021 model? And your games will just say "Runs on PS 2017 or later, 2025 capable" if it has extra textures on the newest/upcoming model.

It's still plug and play. It just provides options. If you didn't buy a PS4 at launch, you can CHOOSE to buy either the base model or the Neo depending on your finances and your particular needs. That choice didn't exist before.

toast smile
  • Posted on 21 July 16 at 01:44
    Prem-aka-Prince said:
    strifekun said:
    ...This isn't anything like the 3DS to the New 3DS where you /had/ to buy the New 3DS in order to play the new games or you couldn't play them period. No one should be worried about this...
    nothing wrong with this statement actually
    Nothing wrong with the statement, but I wouldn't be surprised if happened to get Neo-only non-VR games in a couple years - or games that can play on the regular PS4, but dubbed down. Enough to feel like they dubbed it down more than they had to instead of optimizing? Time will tell.

ExtremePhobia said:
    If I give you a free Neo, would you REALLY expect to do anything more than sync your controller, update the firmware (which is automatic, and already part of the PS4), and log in to your PSN account?
    Not saying the Neo will be the console to fulfill my fear, but this large update just lay out a way for a slippery slope - console makers will try to test consumers to see how much money they can get. Especially MS want to fight against PC, and Sony will just have to go along in order to fight alongside MS. My fear is upgradable consoles, which means with time there will be new games where I have to get new hardware for the machine to run - and even longer down the road, I might have to change hardware to the older version to play older games.

The reason I am so against this is that grannies buying games for their grankids or just non-gamers are confused enough as is. Kid is asking for a Wii Spiderman game, but owns the Wii U. Which games do you think granny is gonna buy? Spiderman for the regular Wii, that's what.

Kid: "I want a game for my Neo!"
    Granny or mother, whatever, buys a game. Game can't run on the machine because it is too old or too new for the hardware in it.

Currently, all granny and non-gamers need to know is the console number, ei. 360 and 3, 4 and One.

This is not what I want. Also... splurging money out for new insides? If I wanted to do that, I'd be on frikkin PC.

Now... let's sit back and see what happens instead of looking at worst case scenario.
    This is my signature.
  • GreenMekonGreenMekon760,453
    Posted on 23 July 16 at 05:38
    Iam personally looking forward to any improvements the new machine will bring. I appreciate that it could confuse the market, but as an owner of a 4k TV I am ready for a step up.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads