Site News

Forum to discuss TT news items. Only TrueTrophy can post here

Multi-Genre System Voting

• ArmyVaultArmyVault306,839
    Posted on 11 May 16 at 19:19
    Wow. Good effort on this. Hopefully tonight I can dive into this deeper.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 May 16 at 21:50, Edited on 11 May 16 at 21:51 by
    Multiple genres, awesome! Dunno how I feel about there being a vote though. An option getting a majority in voting does not necessarily make it true.
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Harris59Harris591,196,223
    Posted on 12 May 16 at 01:18
    BillyHorrible said:Multiple genres, awesome! Dunno how I feel about there being a vote though. An option getting a majority in voting does not necessarily make it true.I'd like to think that someone will be checking, or else it's easily abused to put games like Call of Duty as 'Dance' or something...
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Posted on 12 May 16 at 01:29
    Harris59 said:
    I'd like to think that someone will be checking, or else it's easily abused to put games like Call of Duty as 'Dance' or something...
    There will indeed be checks - so don't worry about things like this. If certain people are found to be abusing the system then they'll lose the ability to place any votes at all (hopefully that's a toggle we won't have to use though smile).
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 May 16 at 06:12
    WebChimp said:
    Harris59 said:
    I'd like to think that someone will be checking, or else it's easily abused to put games like Call of Duty as 'Dance' or something...
    There will indeed be checks - so don't worry about things like this. If certain people are found to be abusing the system then they'll lose the ability to place any votes at all (hopefully that's a toggle we won't have to use though smile).
    I was talking about wrong voting due to ignorance. Calling Far Cry Blood Dragon a sandbox just because it has an open world, for instance, or games from Telltale action just because they have a few QTEs.
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET577,067
    Posted on 12 May 16 at 07:55
    BillyHorrible said:
    WebChimp said:
    Harris59 said:
    I was talking about wrong voting due to ignorance. Calling Far Cry Blood Dragon a sandbox just because it has an open world, for instance, or games from Telltale action just because they have a few QTEs.
    I'm curious about this as well. Some of the racing games we have listed as simulation I would vote as arcade and some other games I would vote perhaps a bit outside the box. I'm guessing abuse would be just picking a single item like collectable card game on first person shooters, etc.

Perhaps we should define abuse a bit more so we don't have any unnecessary problems down the road?
    Remember to give credit to the person who got you to join the site!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 May 16 at 08:05
    GAMERJET said:
    BillyHorrible said:
    WebChimp said:
    Harris59 said:
    I'm curious about this as well. Some of the racing games we have listed as simulation I would vote as arcade and some other games I would vote perhaps a bit outside the box. I'm guessing abuse would be just picking a single item like collectable card game on first person shooters, etc.

Perhaps we should define abuse a bit more so we don't have any unnecessary problems down the road?
    I'm less concerned about abuse (those will probably not be the majority genre votes anyways) and more about wrong voting because the user really doesn't know the difference - in your example, I'm sure that talking about The Crew, amongst other games, there will be fights about if it's simulation or arcade racing. Those lines tend to get blurry. Not to mention that under current guidelines, the Borderlands games are somehow dungeon crawlers... There's plenty of games where what many people think the genre is, won't be the correct genre.
  • Rick_NyaRick_Nya1,459,089
    Posted on 12 May 16 at 12:27
    I just hope that we´ll finally see some justice and RE 5 and 6 will be removed from survival horror and put under action- third person shooter genre.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 May 16 at 13:36
    Rick_Nya said:I just hope that we´ll finally see some justice and RE 5 and 6 will be removed from survival horror and put under action- third person shooter genre.Well, this multigenre change opens the way to new genres and I'm a strong advocate for adding horror as a genre. There's so much horror that isn't survival...
  • TrueTrophyTrueTrophy13,467
    Posted on 12 May 16 at 14:05
    BillyHorrible said:Rick_Nya said:I just hope that we´ll finally see some justice and RE 5 and 6 will be removed from survival horror and put under action- third person shooter genre.Well, this multigenre change opens the way to new genres and I'm a strong advocate for adding horror as a genre. There's so much horror that isn't survival...Horror is a theme rather than a genre
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 May 16 at 14:20
    TrueTrophy said:BillyHorrible said:Rick_Nya said:I just hope that we´ll finally see some justice and RE 5 and 6 will be removed from survival horror and put under action- third person shooter genre.Well, this multigenre change opens the way to new genres and I'm a strong advocate for adding horror as a genre. There's so much horror that isn't survival...Horror is a theme rather than a genreHorror is a genre of fiction. It's true that horror of its own is not a video game genre but then neither is action or adventure - they are stricktly speaking not genres on their own but rather a collection of sub-genres.

Thinking about it, I would love to see the overarching fiction genres - science fiction, horror, comedy, drama et cetera - as genres on here, makes it much quicker to understand what kind of game something is.
  • Posted on 12 May 16 at 14:42, Edited on 12 May 16 at 14:46 by Prem-aka-Prince
    As much as I love ambitious scope, this digression sounds variously pedantic or superfluous. You don't need this site to tell you the overall tone or theme of a game, nor do you need a filter for that. Just look at it.
    From my point of view I'm pretty impressed with the new architecture and I hope it works out well.

On that note thank you to the team for bringing it to TT. Reading the comments in controversial TA articles always feels like watching the interviews of BNP or Trump supporters, and makes me worry what the hasty multitudes could vote for if left to their own.

I did my votes on TA previously, but unfortunately I have 16 more now on the TT list, which is quite a daunting number since most of them are not simple and I played them many years ago.

By the way, I don't know if anyone would read this, but I think it would be quite nice to have a total bar at the bottom like we get on the MGC page. Just so I don't have to count them to know how many are left in the current filter.
    I'm sure I had a signature before...
  • Harris59Harris591,196,223
    Posted on 12 May 16 at 21:25
    I agree with Horror being on its own, there's LOADS of games that are Horror but NOT Survival Horror. People seem to blanket every Horror game as 'Survival Horror' when it isn't. Thinking about it, I don't think there's many Survival Horror games lately or even last gen, I don't think many games fit that genre but it'll be a genre with a lot of games voted under it because people have nowhere else to put their vote on a pure Horror title.
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • MonkeyBrad91MonkeyBrad91457,192
    Posted on 13 May 16 at 01:03
    Thank you for bringing this in. Will be keeping up with this weekly. :)
  • KinglinkKinglink254,901
    Posted on 13 May 16 at 17:53
    BillyHorrible said:Multiple genres, awesome! Dunno how I feel about there being a vote though. An option getting a majority in voting does not necessarily make it true.Exactly.. this didn't need to be a vote, but what ever, I could imagine how much data work it would take to deal with all of these.
  • ImFunnyHowImFunnyHow40,624
    Posted on 26 May 16 at 16:19
    Perhaps a link under Community tab should be added directing right to the genre voting page, whilst voting is ongoing.

Navigating
    Main menu > Site News > Date Range (once the quarter ends) > Click Genre Votes
    or
    Home page > Community News select this page > Click Genre Votes
    Seems a bit unnecessary
    Punctuality is the thief of time...
  • Posted on 26 May 16 at 16:21, Edited on 26 May 16 at 16:21 by WebChimp_UK
    ImFunnyHow said:
    Perhaps a link under Community tab should be added directing right to the genre voting page, whilst voting is ongoing.
    Ah, I actually added a link under the main menu on TA the other day. I'll add one to here for the next site update. toast
  • Posted on 26 May 16 at 18:02
    WebChimp said:
    ImFunnyHow said:
    Ah, I actually added a link under the main menu on TA the other day. I'll add one to here for the next site update. toast
    Cheers, I was hoping this would make it across! I always had to look for this article to find the link
    I'm sure I had a signature before...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads