Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Why the Hate for Episodic Games?

AuthorMessage
Punkyliar
46,723
Punkyliar
Posted on 27 March 16 at 09:48
Does HITMAN really deserve the criticism?

Please click here to read the story: Why the Hate for Episodic Games?
Najinceil
416,072
Najinceil
Posted on 27 March 16 at 12:08
Waiting all that time for the games release, then having to wait much longer for its later episodes.
ExtremePhobia
147,099
ExtremePhobia
Posted on 27 March 16 at 13:26
I don't have a problem with the principal of episodic games. My first reaction to the walking dead was a mix of confusion and doubt, but that didn't last long.

From a story standpoint, it isn't really an issue, and it could even benefit complex stories, allowing time for people to mull them over between episodes. And it sounds like this is the goal of Hitman, except on a gameplay front. Master the tools before acquiring more.

I only have two problems with episodic content: 1) I don't think I've ever finished every episode of a season, ever. 2) Hitman was originally conceived as a typical full game, and so a potentially large shift in model should naturally concern me.

That said, my first impression of Hitman in particular is that it could work. It feels a little stiff, thought. The animations and voice acting can feel a little wooden, and the environments (so far) don't feel entirely full of possibilities. It feels a little like Hitman GO. It feels like it was designed for you to have 20 different choices of how to handle it, but every choice feels meticulously thought out with little room for wiggle.

That said, I didn't play much (just a couple hours) and considering how much more is coming, I am feeling optimistic about how much more open and complex later levels/episodes could become
ObliviousSenpai
Posted on 27 March 16 at 17:28
I think the episodic format works very well when there isn't too great a space between episodes and there is a clear release schedule as was the case with RE: Revelations 2. Generally, I'll play episodic games after they've completely released because of this problem of release dates not being clearly outlined or too large a gap in time between each episode.

The only time I've purchased a season pass for an episodic game was with Life is Strange because the game really drew me in from the demo alone. It took about nine months for all of the episodes to release, which was not a problem for me since I really enjoyed the game, but it could be a problem for someone not as invested. There were also times where episodes were delayed by a week or two, which was frustrating at times.

I really feel like season passes are getting out of hand now. Many season passes are charging the price of a retail game for less content and there's also now multiple season passes. Very few developers, CD Projekt Red to name one, are actually offering a great deal of season pass content for a reasonable price.

For a game like Hitman I can see why people would be against the episodic format as it really does feel like it should be a complete game. However, I don't understand the displeasure with FFVII being remade into parts. FF is no stranger to having multiple episodes for an instalment and these episodes are full games in themselves.
Gaelic-_-Flame
Posted on 27 March 16 at 20:09
I don't like episodic format because they just don't suit me too well. First of all, episodic games are usually more about stories, and I generally value gameplay much higher than actual story.

Also if I like the game I want to spend as much time as I can going through it while I'm interested. Unnecessary gaps may make me lose interest in the game while I'm waiting for "more content". It has happened quite a bit for me with DLC's and even some Demo versions, where playing quite a bit of Demo or main game made me want to play more of the actual game or play the DLC right away, however after taking a few months break and actually getting the main game/DLC, I lose quite a bit of interest in it, and it's much less enjoyable.
Gaelic Flame - Hybrid created from Rathalos and Kushala Daora materials. Its cut is a death sentence
Harem-kamisama
Posted on 27 March 16 at 23:06
I think with FF VII, its clearly a case of bs. Given some of the expansive games like Witcher 3, MGV, No Mans Sky, etc. there is no way FF VII is some massive game that can't fit onto a disc, or no one would care if several.

There is also the problem you are taking a game that wasn't episodic and cutting it up.

Not to mention its likely the price will be inflated. There is no way Square releases this in 3 or 4 episodes at 15 20 bucks each. They will probably release at 40-60 each. And lets be real at the end they release one complete set.

For other games like Walking Dead I don't mind it due to the nature of the game basically being an interactive show, but not something like FFVII.
CombatVet_Gaming
Posted on 27 March 16 at 23:29
because they delayed the game 4 months, and they havent released a game in what 4 or 5 years? Thats crappy
TheRage47
66,250
TheRage47
Posted on 27 March 16 at 23:56
Square enix should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking about even releasing another hitman game before reimbursing the thousands of fans who paid £40 for absolution for it to be filled with bugs and cause corrupt data which led to many fans not being able to finish the game, utter disgrace.
Harris59
577,883
Harris59
Posted on 28 March 16 at 01:54, Edited on 28 March 16 at 01:56 by Harris59
Like all practices it's a matter of the right time and the right product. Episodic DOESN'T work for a lot of games and are poorly timed but the practice itself is not the problem. The problem is misuse of it. Like you said episodic games have existed for a long time and up until now I dont recall any majorly poor use of it (at least not for 'bigger' titles, some small time games have misused the practice over the years), I think people who hate it dont actually hate it but hate that it's consuming some larger titles where it just doesn't work.

TheRage47 said:Square enix should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking about even releasing another hitman game before reimbursing the thousands of fans who paid £40 for absolution for it to be filled with bugs and cause corrupt data which led to many fans not being able to finish the game, utter disgrace.Absolution worked fine for me, what version? This is the first time I've heard of this and I follow a lot of forums.
BlueSeptember17
Posted on 28 March 16 at 04:45
Harem-kamisama said:I think with FF VII, its clearly a case of bs. Given some of the expansive games like Witcher 3, MGV, No Mans Sky, etc. there is no way FF VII is some massive game that can't fit onto a disc, or no one would care if several.

There is also the problem you are taking a game that wasn't episodic and cutting it up.
I agree with this. I don't normally do episodic games simply because that's not how I'm wired. I appreciate the hype and build-up, and, yes, I devoured every Harry Potter book the day it was released, but I much prefer to have the whole series and sit and read them all at once - twenty books at a time is fine (The Spook's Apprentice series comes to mind) - to get the whole story. I don't like having it dribbled out in pieces. This is especially true for something like FFVII. Once I get my hands on that, I want to play it all the way through, not make it to the end of disc one then have to wait six months to move forward. Yuck.

And if Square is making that many changes, they should do it right!

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
Nobody but you...
merciful84
469,015
merciful84
Posted on 28 March 16 at 13:08
I think the episodic format is ok for certain genres of games like point-and-click adventures. However for the more action oriented genres/games, it comes off as a lazy approach to development and allows companies to push out incomplete products while potentially making more money off of the entire project than they would've by releasing the entire game at once. Outside of the point-and-click adventure genre, I approach episodic gaming the same as I approach most new releases for games that I want: wait for the COMPLETE edition of the game to be released. If I'm going to pay the full $60 price tag on a game, I want the full experience.
Harem-kamisama
Posted on 29 March 16 at 04:04
BlueSeptember17 said:Harem-kamisama said:I think with FF VII, its clearly a case of bs. Given some of the expansive games like Witcher 3, MGV, No Mans Sky, etc. there is no way FF VII is some massive game that can't fit onto a disc, or no one would care if several.

There is also the problem you are taking a game that wasn't episodic and cutting it up.
I agree with this. I don't normally do episodic games simply because that's not how I'm wired. I appreciate the hype and build-up, and, yes, I devoured every Harry Potter book the day it was released, but I much prefer to have the whole series and sit and read them all at once - twenty books at a time is fine (The Spook's Apprentice series comes to mind) - to get the whole story. I don't like having it dribbled out in pieces. This is especially true for something like FFVII. Once I get my hands on that, I want to play it all the way through, not make it to the end of disc one then have to wait six months to move forward. Yuck.

And if Square is making that many changes, they should do it right!

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
That would actually be a cool bonus, the spoiler I mean. I know the gameshark rumor was always around, but I don't think at this point decades later it would take away if they made that possible.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 29 March 16 at 08:47
Is there really that much hate for episodic games?

I think Hitman should do fine in episodes, the only game I ever played was already split up in distinctively different missions.

I think Assassin's Creed might be awesome with episodic content... You're an Abstergo employee sifting through ancestor memories. This month: Ezio in Rome. Next month: Evie in Delhi. Then: Adam and Eve in "Paradise".
#TurnOffTrophyNotifications
ExtremePhobia
147,099
ExtremePhobia
Posted on 29 March 16 at 12:58, Edited on 29 March 16 at 13:16 by ExtremePhobia
Harris59 said:TheRage47 said:Square enix should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking about even releasing another hitman game before reimbursing the thousands of fans who paid £40 for absolution for it to be filled with bugs and cause corrupt data which led to many fans not being able to finish the game, utter disgrace.Absolution worked fine for me, what version? This is the first time I've heard of this and I follow a lot of forums.Ditto. I was actually surprised to read that. I don't remember anything about any widespread bugs. Then again, that was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm just not remembering.

BillyHorrible said:I think Assassin's Creed might be awesome with episodic content... You're an Abstergo employee sifting through ancestor memories. This month: Ezio in Rome. Next month: Evie in Delhi. Then: Adam and Eve in "Paradise".I love this idea =).

BlueSeptember17 said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
I think that could be interesting. I don't know that I want that, though. It just feels like there are some constants in the universe, and they are intrinsically important. Messing with that just feels wrong. Link always finds the Master Sword (sort of), you never see Master Chief's face, Capcom refuses to make a decent Mega Man or Resident Evil game, and
I guess it's kind of like if there was a new edition of Harry Potter, and Harry's parents make a surprise appearance, alive and well, at the very end of book 7. You'd still always have the original editions, but the only reason to do it at all is to remove a pain that was felt by the reader, which undermines the very nature of it in the first place, demeaning the value of this new edition as a stand-alone item.
Harem-kamisama
Posted on 30 March 16 at 04:32
ExtremePhobia said:Harris59 said:TheRage47 said:Square enix should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking about even releasing another hitman game before reimbursing the thousands of fans who paid £40 for absolution for it to be filled with bugs and cause corrupt data which led to many fans not being able to finish the game, utter disgrace.Absolution worked fine for me, what version? This is the first time I've heard of this and I follow a lot of forums.Ditto. I was actually surprised to read that. I don't remember anything about any widespread bugs. Then again, that was quite a while ago, so maybe I'm just not remembering.

BillyHorrible said:I think Assassin's Creed might be awesome with episodic content... You're an Abstergo employee sifting through ancestor memories. This month: Ezio in Rome. Next month: Evie in Delhi. Then: Adam and Eve in "Paradise".I love this idea =).

BlueSeptember17 said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
I think that could be interesting. I don't know that I want that, though. It just feels like there are some constants in the universe, and they are intrinsically important. Messing with that just feels wrong. Link always finds the Master Sword (sort of), you never see Master Chief's face, Capcom refuses to make a decent Mega Man or Resident Evil game, and
I guess it's kind of like if there was a new edition of Harry Potter, and Harry's parents make a surprise appearance, alive and well, at the very end of book 7. You'd still always have the original editions, but the only reason to do it at all is to remove a pain that was felt by the reader, which undermines the very nature of it in the first place, demeaning the value of this new edition as a stand-alone item.
I could have sworn in one of the halo games if you beat legendary solo, you saw master chief, I know at minimum they show him him without his helmet if not his face.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 30 March 16 at 06:12
Harem-kamisama said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***


I could have sworn in one of the halo games if you beat legendary solo, you saw master chief, I know at minimum they show him him without his helmet if not his face.
Sounds like they made a nod to Metroid, where the 'special' ending was Samus taking her helmet off and revealing she's a woman.
#TurnOffTrophyNotifications
ExtremePhobia
147,099
ExtremePhobia
Posted on 30 March 16 at 11:58
BillyHorrible said:Harem-kamisama said:I could have sworn in one of the halo games if you beat legendary solo, you saw master chief, I know at minimum they show him him without his helmet if not his face.Sounds like they made a nod to Metroid, where the 'special' ending was Samus taking her helmet off and revealing she's a woman.I've beaten all four main entries (can't wait for the fifth! That Halo: Osiris game was kind of trash) on Legendary and don't remember any such thing. We've seen him take off his helmet several times, and we've even seen the back of his head, but we've never seen any part of his face. Unless my memory is totally broken. That's possible too =).
Harris59
577,883
Harris59
Posted on 30 March 16 at 15:10
ExtremePhobia said:BillyHorrible said:Harem-kamisama said:I could have sworn in one of the halo games if you beat legendary solo, you saw master chief, I know at minimum they show him him without his helmet if not his face.Sounds like they made a nod to Metroid, where the 'special' ending was Samus taking her helmet off and revealing she's a woman.I've beaten all four main entries (can't wait for the fifth! That Halo: Osiris game was kind of trash) on Legendary and don't remember any such thing. We've seen him take off his helmet several times, and we've even seen the back of his head, but we've never seen any part of his face. Unless my memory is totally broken. That's possible too =).There's his 'eyes' right? I don't follow Halo at all but a quick Google gave me this.
http://youtu.be/Ryzi55bfiYg
We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
iWantEllenPage
Posted on 31 March 16 at 04:13
I would never play an episodic game like Walking Dead or Borderlands. It's just my choice.
Lispless
89,952
Lispless
Posted on 31 March 16 at 15:39
Half Life 3.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.