Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Playstation VR Priced And Dated

• Cobalt_1983Cobalt_1983416,872
    Posted on 16 March 16 at 23:18
    Costs as much as the damn console. Pass. I'll take the money and spend it on games.
    My kind transcends your very understanding. We are each a nation - independent, free of all weakness. You cannot grasp the nature of our existence.
  • Posted on 16 March 16 at 23:19
    Ouch! That is definitely too pricey for me at this point.
    Ha Ha, charade you are
  • Harris59Harris591,196,320
    Posted on 16 March 16 at 23:44
    These 'new' techs always launch with hefty price tags and most importantly nothing really to use them on, it's why it's best to wait. It's always the same, look at TVs for example, HD came and there were little to watch in HD at the time and the price tag was huge, 3DTVs as well.

Patience is the key to these 'exciting' 'new' endeavours. Sure, PSVR has some stuff coming at launch or announced to be shortly after but it's not really that much, certainly nothing worth over £300, give it a few years and you'll have more usage out of it and it'll drop to under £200 or something.
  • Posted on 16 March 16 at 23:59
    There is no way in hell that I would be willing to pay $550 for this. I don't see VR being essential to gaming until the next generation whenever that will be.
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 00:43
    I'm not really interested in VR to be honest. I'd be willing enough to try it but I wouldn't actually invest money into it. Especially not $550. That said it could be $50 and I still wouldn't bother. I just don't see it taking off. Good for a gimmick but that's about it IMO.
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • MonkeyBrad91MonkeyBrad91457,192
    Posted on 17 March 16 at 00:47
    Sadly too much for me. I'm still so excited for VR, and if they'd put it at like, 200 quid, I think I would have bought it day one. £350 is just such a heavy financial commitment that I don't think I can justify. Perhaps one day. :)
  • Cwells21Cwells21256,753
    Posted on 17 March 16 at 00:55
    I'll be picking this up day one, I had a feeling it would be $400 so I've been putting away money for months now. I already have the Camera, and i just picked up two move controllers for around $30 so its just $430 for VR.
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 02:30
    I'm super on the fence about cancelling my Oculus Rift shipping in July for this or staying with the Rift.

One thing I am sure of: VR is not a gimmick, it's incredible and you should make an effort to try it even if you don't want to buy it.
  • daemont101daemont1011,525,925
    Posted on 17 March 16 at 03:11
    Str8Flushin said:I'm super on the fence about cancelling my Oculus Rift shipping in July for this or staying with the Rift.

One thing I am sure of: VR is not a gimmick, it's incredible and you should make an effort to try it even if you don't want to buy it.
    Well the only reason kinect and playstation move became gimmicks are because nobody bought them. So as long as people buy this, it should stay relevant.
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 05:07
    I plan to get this at some point, but I will probably wait, until there is at least a bundle. Plus I want to see what comes out, I would love to see some indie horror games come to the ps with this being a use able feature.
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 06:36
    Excited but also scared!! headspin
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 08:29
    Don't own a camera so it would cost more. Don't own move controllers which I have read will improve some games, so that would cost even more.

This has the potential to be too expensive to take off. Lot of people will wait for the price drop and that time could be enough for Sony to kill off the device.

It seems most VR headsets are pricey, so it is a wait and see game of if it will succeed.
    My name is commander Shepard and this is my favourite trophy site on the internet
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus247,511
    Posted on 17 March 16 at 09:14
    I have no interest in this. I prefer my games on a large tv screen.

Maybe this gimmick will become a success.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 March 16 at 10:54
    I'll only get it if there's awesome games for it. Adding move is not good for me since I game in my mancave, which has barely enough room to sit in between LEGO sets.
    http://starwarsrpgrecaps.blogspot.com
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 13:09
    Kornfan2007 said:This has the potential to be too expensive to take off. Lot of people will wait for the price drop and that time could be enough for Sony to kill off the device.

It seems most VR headsets are pricey, so it is a wait and see game of if it will succeed.
    This was a bigger concern when the price for Oculus Rift was announced at $599, not to mention the pretty massive PC rig you'd need just to run the thing. I think the price point for PlayStation VR is a nice sweet spot aimed entirely at PlayStation fans who already have a PS4 and camera (which I happen to be in such a crowd). I see this more as another PS3 situation: Sony takes a huge hit in profit for the gamble of it taking off in the future.

Also, for every new technology you will always have early adopters that believe in it. VR is coming, it won't happen overnight, but it's not going to be like motion controls.

Frankly, because I have the camera and PS4, along with Move controllers already being in my wishlist for a year or so, I'm actually considering buying it. Problems are the lack of games I'd care about and how much better spent that $399 would be. However, that's just me.

To all the early adopters, I thank you!
    “Dreams are important... never underestimate them.” -Fifth Doctor
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 13:50, Edited on 17 March 16 at 13:52 by ExtremePhobia
    $399 was way better than I was expecting. I've been seeing more and more actually games being revealed over the past 24 hours, and they look compelling. Right now, I'm pretty stoked and I've already got the camera.

I could realistically be getting this at launch. I'd like to try it first, and I certainly want to see some serious gameplay footage, but that's an incredibly reasonable price point considering A) The competition's price, and B) that this is a first wave consumer product. Unless Sony screws this up, count me in =)

P.S.
    Considering what I would generally think of as a hardcore audience, I'm surprised by the number of "no's" in the comments. Nothing wrong with that, I just expected more reckless abandon I think wink
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 13:57
    The UK prices for PS4 are terrible at the moment compared to last month, but even now you can buy a new model new for not more than £260, which makes this more than 30% more expensive than the console itself... on a good day you can even get the console for £230, especially if you get a good bundle and deduct for savings, which means that for the more prudent current shopper this is a whopping 50% more expensive than the console itself!!
    I'm sure I had a signature before...
  • ArmyVaultArmyVault306,835
    Posted on 17 March 16 at 15:10
    I just bought a house so I won't be joining this crowd for probably 2 years.
  • Posted on 17 March 16 at 19:18
    While it does seem expensive at first glance, when you consider that Oculus Rift (and the rig you would need to use it) would run you into the thousands, this isn't a bad entry price into VR at all.

That being said, I am a little disappointed that they aren't doing a bundle with all the required peripherals right from the get-go. For people not in the know, this will just be all the more confusing when they take the VR leap, only to get it home and realize they can't use it without another trip back to the store.

As much as I'd like to try it out, I'm going to wait for them to get a decent bundle or two going before I think about buying one.
    "Be firm, but gentle; determined, but kind."
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads