Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The TrueTrophies Staff Game of the Year 2015

• PunkyliarPunkyliar108,807
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 23:58
    This was because it received a few votes, not because munchmagic1986 threatened to bring TT to its knees by leaving in a huff and not doing anything for a week.laugh laugh laugh
  • D72shadowD72shadow693,201
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 00:24
    Staff didn't like Fallout 4?
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 00:44
    D72shadow said:Staff didn't like Fallout 4?It didn't make top three but did receive votes.

As we said for the honorable mentions, we left out the games that had already won their categories. As Fallout 4 also won GotY as well as RPG, it had already received enough attention there.
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 05:07
    D72shadow said:Staff didn't like Fallout 4?Still playing it quite a bit, actually =). For me, personally, it's one of those cases where it does so many good things but it's not quite a master of any of them. The story was decent but not great, the building stuff is interesting, but has problems, and so on. I'm aiming to get the Plat on it, but I think it fell to third on my personal list.

I do have to give kudos to Rocket League though. It's not really my thing, but it's a special game in a lot of ways. Aside from being fun, it does what MOBAs and shooters have succeeded in, which is making a single player feel like only part of a team. That's why those things are great e-sports when games like Madden and FIFA are not. I don't think it's quite precise enough to make it to the big time for e-sports, but I think it is perfect for sports fans who play games to have some fun.

It's the little game that could =)
  • Rick_NyaRick_Nya1,458,812
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 13:11
    How come Everybody´s gone to the rapture and rocket league are considered better games than Batman Arkham Knight and Until Dawn?
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 14:36
    Rick_Nya said:How come Everybody´s gone to the rapture and rocket league are considered better games than Batman Arkham Knight and Until Dawn?Well, only speaking for myself, as much as I enjoyed Batman, I just preferred Rocket League. Arkham Knight did have a lot of flaws, along with something that absolutely infuriated me and left me in a rage fit. They could have done something that would have blown my mind, but instead they decided to completely screw the absolute crap out of one of my favourite characters -
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

I also haven't played Rapture or Until Dawn though. In the regular GOTY though, Batman was my 2nd or 3rd choice.
  • Rick_NyaRick_Nya1,458,812
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 15:45
    I agree one can think Rocket League is more FUN, but overall you can´t even compare some very simple drive and hit a ball with the whole awesomeness Batman offers.
    But in the end each to their own, right buddy? ;)
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 15:53
    Rick_Nya said:I agree one can think Rocket League is more FUN, but overall you can´t even compare some very simple drive and hit a ball with the whole awesomeness Batman offers.
    But in the end each to their own, right buddy? ;)
    As a huge DC fanboy, I thought this Arkham offering was pretty weak really, but Rocket League has me glued to the screens for hours when I hop on for a quick game. They really are two completely kettles of fish though so comparing them is quite hard. If the Staff ones were broken down into genres then Batman would get a winning vote for me in Action-Adventure.
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 16:37
    I'm pleased that Rocket League has got the recognition it deserved, I loved SARPBC and Rocket League has been the evolution of that.

This years lists have stamped home how many games I've missed this year, I've barely started Bloodborne or MGS V, and have yet to play Until Dawn or Witcher 3.

2016 is gonna be more of the same as I work through my 250+ backlog.
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 20:16
    Holy S**t I thought the true achievements list was terrible with Life is Strange taking first, but this one only has a top 3, it doesn't include Fallout IV or Witcher, and it doesn't have the only exclusive released on either the ps or xbox that was actually a great game, Bloodborne.

Its lists like these that prove "critics/moderators" have about as much credit is deeming what a worthy game is as any random joe schmo.

They didn't even give Soma so much as an acknowledgment.
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 20:22
    Harem-kamisama said:They didn't even give Soma so much as an acknowledgment.Perhaps none of the staff who voted has played it? wink
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 January 16 at 20:41
    Harem-kamisama said:Holy S**t I thought the true achievements list was terrible with Life is Strange taking first, but this one only has a top 3, it doesn't include Fallout IV or Witcher, and it doesn't have the only exclusive released on either the ps or xbox that was actually a great game, Bloodborne.

Its lists like these that prove "critics/moderators" have about as much credit is deeming what a worthy game is as any random joe schmo.

So in order for people to know what they're talking about they must agree with you yeah?
    You can't fix stupid if it don't broke!
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 22:33
    Harem-kamisama said:Its lists like these that prove "critics/moderators" have about as much credit is deeming what a worthy game is as any random joe schmo. ...erm, the title says this is the Staff vote, not the editorial board vote... we're not the Cannes Film Festival, the TT staff are just regular gamers. The vote-based list is clearly front-and-centre, this is just an alternative list, there's absolutely no sense in getting yourself into a huff about it. Although, judging by your wording, it's almost as if you ignored all the signs that this is not the main list, and rushed to the comments to complain incongruously...
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 11 January 16 at 00:19
    Harem-kamisama said:Holy S**t I thought the true achievements list was terrible with Life is Strange taking first, but this one only has a top 3, it doesn't include Fallout IV or Witcher, and it doesn't have the only exclusive released on either the ps or xbox that was actually a great game, Bloodborne.

Opinions, huh?
  • Posted on 11 January 16 at 05:02
    munchmagic1986 said:Harem-kamisama said:They didn't even give Soma so much as an acknowledgment.Perhaps none of the staff who voted has played it? winkI know I didn't! In fact, I didn't really hear much buzz before OR after its release, but having heard some with the GOTY season upon us, it sounds like it might be worth a playthrough.

Also, in the case of Until Dawn, I'm not a horror movie person. I enjoy horror in games because they generally don't make you feel helpless in the same way movies do, but Until Dawn was very intentionally aping horror movies, so I'm definitely not qualified to pass judgement on that (and would likely not enjoy it since I don't know the "language" as it were).

Prem-aka-Prince said:...erm, the title says this is the Staff vote, not the editorial board vote... we're not the Cannes Film Festival, the TT staff are just regular gamers.There's a lot of things going into that as well. Unlike traditional outlets, we don't have a centralized office where the staff could get together to hash it out. Hell, half of the staff is living 5-8 hours in the future!

This was our first attempt at this. As the site grows, and as the staff grows with it, we'll hopefully be able to refine the process some. Just for context, editorial has only really begun to branch out (aside from reviews), starting with the Just Cause 3 spotlight on November 27th. That's only six weeks ago =). We're far from perfect, but we're working.

We're going to do our best to make things better, promise! But feel free to share feedback, because that's how we get better!
  • davem300490davem300490469,378
    Posted on 11 January 16 at 10:35
    D72shadow said:Staff didn't like Fallout 4?Fallout blows quite badly laugh.

Where as, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture was an amazing game smile
    Walkthrough Manager, Newshound, Game Info and gamer. General all round nice guy
  • MonkeyBrad91MonkeyBrad91457,448
    Posted on 12 January 16 at 00:38
    So, I learned today that threads in the staff forums don't come up in the New Threads page. laugh

Lets be honest though, I would have just voted Rocket League three times anyway!
  • CyanaxCyanax180,986
    Posted on 12 January 16 at 06:07
    Rocket League? ROCKET LEAGUE? warning facepalm laugh
    Pretend inferiority and encourage their arrogance.
    Posted on 12 January 16 at 14:37
    MonkeyBrad91 said:So, I learned today that threads in the staff forums don't come up in the New Threads page. laugh

Lets be honest though, I would have just voted Rocket League three times anyway!
    You should have gotten a PM too?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads