Community News

News for and about the commnunity. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

The TrueTrophies Game of the Year 2015

  • Posted on 08 January 16 at 13:01, Edited on 08 January 16 at 13:03 by ExtremePhobia
    BardinAeducan said:MysticalShadow86 said:A shame Fallout 4 won game of the year and best RPG, from what i've played so far i'm not that impressed with it. The Witcher 3 is a far more enjoyable game.From what I've seen over the past several years on numerous sites with awards like this most people only think back on the past 3-4 months when voting. 9/10 it's the game that came out within that time frame before the awards are done that win, at least with the major genre categories anyways.This tends to be the case, for sure. This is also part popularity contest, too, since it's voted on by so many people, and in that regard, I'm also not surprised that it was Fallout. I know that I haven't gotten around to Witcher yet. For me, it was that I haven't played the previous two. I know that I don't have to, but I'd like to because if I don't, I know I'll never go back to them.

    Fallout 4 for best game I can see since it can be so many things, but I definitely expected Witcher 3 for best RPG.

    This list doesn't match my picks at all =).
  • NuPhoenixXNuPhoenixX95,705
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 14:23
    .....I voted for Borderlands 2 from the Handsome Collection....

    Split-screen with my wife was the best gaming experience I had all year. I'm about a solid year behind when it comes to new releases.
  • MayadomeMayadome471,762
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 15:39
    Persona 4 Dancing All Night! I'm glad this game gets the attention it deserves, had a blast with it.
    Feel The Ether
  • Posted on 08 January 16 at 18:21
    FIFA 16 was in top 3 sports but not PES 2016...

    *Munch polishes up his ban hammer*
  • Harris59Harris59975,503
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 18:41
    Predictable GOTY and one I highly disagree with but everything else including all the other sections were interesting to read, a few surprises (many pleasant ones) which I'm glad to see get a mention.

    Just such a shame the Fallout bandwagon is still in effect, would have thought it would have run its course. People need to discover their own opinions instead of wanting to look like the hip gamer that likes the 'cool' games.

    Hopefully we won't have this problem this year (I don't hear news of any bandwagon games for 2016) and thus a truly deserving game can get the title.

    Also... That free Frozen game got some votes?! Haha! Well fair enough whoever voted, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, just a surprise for me lol :P
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Posted on 08 January 16 at 19:15
    Harris59 said:Predictable GOTY and one I highly disagree with but everything else including all the other sections were interesting to read, a few surprises (many pleasant ones) which I'm glad to see get a mention.

    Just such a shame the Fallout bandwagon is still in effect, would have thought it would have run its course. People need to discover their own opinions instead of wanting to look like the hip gamer that likes the 'cool' games.

    Hopefully we won't have this problem this year (I don't hear news of any bandwagon games for 2016) and thus a truly deserving game can get the title.

    Also... That free Frozen game got some votes?! Haha! Well fair enough whoever voted, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, just a surprise for me lol :P
    So if people vote for a game they like that just happens to be popular then they're "wanting to look like the hip gamer that likes the 'cool' games"? roll
    PSN: BardinAeducan
  • MjodrMjodr136,352
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 23:55
    I'm a huge fan of Bethesda, have been for a long long time. Fallout 4 is an amazing title well deserving of it's praise.

    That being said, it didn't hold a candle to Witcher 3, not even close.

    Great list, though!
  • Harris59Harris59975,503
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 00:23
    BardinAeducan said:So if people vote for a game they like that just happens to be popular then they're "wanting to look like the hip gamer that likes the 'cool' games"? rollBut that's not what's happening is it, if you read my post it was entirely referring to the bandwagon and that 'hip gamer' attitude, enjoyment plays no part in around half of Fallout 4 'fans' and that is what I am referring to, now yes, the other half genuinely enthusiastically enjoy the game, the other half however are a fake and it's rediculous that genuine GOTY contenders get plopped down ranks because a somewhat decent game that was well marketed and hyped and with a peer pressure atmosphere and bandwagon effect unjustfully takes the top spot.
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • ArmyVaultArmyVault266,339
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 00:37, Edited on 09 January 16 at 00:38 by ArmyVault
    The way I see it is like this...The Witcher came out in May(?) and Fallout came out in November. Gamers had 6 months to play Witcher and to spread the word on how "good" it is. If the game was actually good, it would have sold more, been played more and been more "popular". But it didn't.

    Fallout is better, plain and simple. I know The Witcher isn't as bad of a game like Hour of Victory or Resonance of Fate, but it just isn't as good as Fallout. No shame in that. It's hard to dethrone a king. It's like Saints Row trying to dethrone GTA. I personally love the Saints games but don't care for GTA. But I admit that GTA is the better of the games. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean that people who do like it are "fanboys".

    Fallout 4 takes the 2015 crown. 2016 has some solid games coming up such as Mafia 3, Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I am very excited for each of these games personally. Do I expect them to take first place in the 2016 GOTY honors here on TT? Probably not. But I won't complain just because it isn't "popular". I just hope these games fill my expectations and continue bringing me pleasure as the games before them did.
  • BarrysamaBarrysama217,954
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 01:38
    Whut? Fallout 4? My greatest disappointment of 2015 wins? am disappoint
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 09 January 16 at 01:45, Edited on 09 January 16 at 01:54 by
    iWantEllenPage said:If the game was actually good, it would have sold more, been played more and been more "popular". But it didn't.The problem is that just isn't how awards work. They are a popularity contest, if it wasn't that way then Just Cause 3 would be in there? it's possibly the best sandbox ever if not the best game. So far in my 32 years of gaming I don't recall any game looking as pretty, feeling as satisfying when you blow things up and being so much fun! (which is what gaming should be about) That's not just my opinion it's many people's on many sites, but here, somehow, it didn't even make the top 10?

    I don't think Fallout is better than the Witcher, it's just by this time in the year people were finished with Witcher and Fallout is still very new and exciting to them.
    You can't fix stupid if it don't broke!
  • hesusPLhesusPL176,085
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 08:41
    Well, Fallout 4 isn't even an RPG. Just a shooter with some character building and that's it - story sucks, there is no depth, as yousual quest from bethesda are MMO/generated style, and for me the thing i loved Fallouts for is missing - multiple ways to finish quest. You cannot talk your way out of anything in F4 and always end up shooting. Charisma/Inteligence build is a waste. I'm not even gonna talk about Sims style building houses... Good game? Probably yes. Good Fallout? No. Good RPG? Hell no.
  • ImFunnyHowImFunnyHow38,474
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 18:03
    That's tough, Bloodborne doesn't even get a badge, despite being the best platform exclusive of the year.
    New category needed for 2016, best Sony Exclusive! Same with TA add a best Microsoft exclusive there.
    Xbox: http://www.trueachievements.com/Everard+Cox.htm
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 19:27
    JoystiQz-_-z said:... Just Cause didn't even make the list that's what I find shocking!!Wow, didn't notice until you mentioned, it looks like so much fun but actually not many people have bought it near launch - even now more than a month later it has less than 1,500 players on TT. JC2 has 150% more than that. Far Cry 3 and 4 both have much more than 5k, and Fallout 4 has just over 6k.

    In fact, if we're talking popularity contest, Fallout 4 is 43rd most played game on the site of all time, after only 2 months, so I think it's fair to say regardless of quality nothing else had a chance. They were simply outnumbered. I'm sure the expensive DLC will be popular too.

    Anyway I wanted to avoid talking about Fallout 4 but it's too late now, moving on swiftly...NuPhoenixX said:.....I voted for Borderlands 2 from the Handsome Collection....
    Split-screen with my wife was the best gaming experience I had all year. I'm about a solid year behind when it comes to new releases.
    It would be nice if there was some kind of consideration for the late-players, rather than tendency towards people rich enough to buy everything at release, especially for games that released late in the year (like Just Cause 3 in December). A system which allowed you to add votes to old games you started this year would be nice, giving an additional (separate) list for 'top resurgent games'.
    Harris59 said:...Hopefully we won't have this problem this year (I don't hear news of any bandwagon games for 2016) and thus a truly deserving game can get the title...I'm going to distance myself from your bandwagon argument just because I could be convinced either way, but as for the optimism that next year won't be exactly the same, I'm glad you're optimistic about it because I'm not lol. As long as the voting system is not weighted in any way, quantity will always beat out quality. It would make sense to have another list for votes as a percentage of game owners, but unless there was some additional balancing condition the niche but well loved games would always win.
    iWantEllenPage said:The way I see it is like this...The Witcher came out in May(?) and Fallout came out in November. Gamers had 6 months to play Witcher and to spread the word on how "good" it is. If the game was actually good, it would have sold more, been played more and been more "popular". But it didn't.
    Fallout is better, plain and simple. I know The Witcher isn't as bad of a game like Hour of Victory or Resonance of Fate, but it just isn't as good as Fallout. No shame in that. It's hard to dethrone a king. It's like Saints Row trying to dethrone GTA. I personally love the Saints games but don't care for GTA. But I admit that GTA is the better of the games. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean that people who do like it are "fanboys"...
    First of all, where exactly are you getting your basis that Witcher is 'not actually good', given that it has 92 on Meta (making it joint-4th on the all-time list for PS4) versus Fallout 4's 87... I don't know. Just wondering. But one thing we can say is that quality and sales are NOT directly correlated, so that claim is out the window.
    Now I'm not going to comment on which one is better, anyone can see they both try to accomplish vastly different things within the genre, it's like comparing Mario and Sonic just because they're both in the platformer genre.

    Similarly I'm going to resist comparing SR and GTA, but one thing we can say for sure is that millions of clueless people buy GTA for reasons they can't fully explain. That's what made it into a monolith in the industry: outstanding marketing and a fanbase that keeps coming back regardless of what's in (or actually not in) the game.
    ImFunnyHow said:That's tough, Bloodborne doesn't even get a badge, despite being the best platform exclusive of the year.
    New category needed for 2016, best Sony Exclusive! Same with TA add a best Microsoft exclusive there.
    Good shout, absolutely agree! (Though I assume Uncharted 4 would probably win it 2016)

    Finally my personal thoughts... glad to see Life is Strange as well as some other smaller names get some recognition in the genre breakdown, that was a really good idea, no idea if it's new or not but it's definitely good. I don't think I ever voted in the TA GoTY awards because they were atrocious thanks to the userbase.

    IMO the trophy awards section is a disaster but it was a good idea at least. Just kind of doomed to fail when there are only thousands of votes among thousands of choices. It's no surprise really that nonsensical obvious-answer votes won, because those are the only ones multiple people would have voted for, instead of the special niche ones people hunted down from memory... perhaps this section should have been shortlisted for a further vote or judged by a panel.

    I won't judge the fallout trophy but the Arkham Knight trophy is just hateful! (And it's one of the few big 2016 games I actually played) because it's not even the right god damn quote FFS! Everyone knows Batman's quote is "I'm Batman!" or "I am Batman!", they even had it in the bloody game (10 second clip I wouldn't call it a spoiler personally)
    So to make the platinum trophy instead the completely unrelated words of Harvey Dent in Dark Knight (he's nothing but a two-bit thug in this game) is just a disgrace in my eyes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaM_tYWBdyU

    p.s. I'm not saying Persona 4: Dancing all night is a bad game, but if anyone's wondering how a dancing game spinoff of an already niche JRPG series is the GoTY on Vita, it's obvious... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFszV_-ETGc&t=99s
    =Semper Fi=
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 10 January 16 at 20:29, Edited on 10 January 16 at 20:33 by
    Spot on Prince and you've hit the nail on the head about how nothing else had a chance. It was exactly my point about contests always being won by the most popular, not necessarily the best.

    Also great post mate, you're back with a bang!
    You can't fix stupid if it don't broke!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.