Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Eight PS2 Favorites Coming to PS4 Today!

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 December 15 at 16:41, Edited on 08 December 15 at 16:42 by
    Harris59 said:Twinkling82 said:I still do not know how people figure out if the games are remasters or ports though..Port - Putting a game elsewhere, Super Meat Boy for example was a port to PS4, this can be done in ANY way including remasters etc. by definition "transfer (software) from one system or machine to another." that's all it is, putting something from PS4 to PC, or PC to XBOX, or XBOX to PS4 etc.

Remaster - A remaster is re-releasing it with additional touches such as improving the textures/resolution, adding online multiplayer to an older game that was local only etc. by definition "make a new master of (a recording), typically in order to improve the quality."

A remaster is a type of port, a port can be many things, a port is simply moving something to another system by any means, including remasters and emulation but if the just do nothing to it and it's not being emulated it's just a simple port by itself.

But to quote Billy...
    BillyHorrible said:I feel like we can't make it clearer than we already have.Sorry :(
    It's fine that you try once more but I feel like we're only repeating stuff at this point.

... Or was that "sorry" not directed at me laugh
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Posted on 08 December 15 at 16:47
    Simply put a remaster would have noticeable improvement.
    Press X to Jason
  • Posted on 08 December 15 at 20:45
    You guys didn't have to repeat yourself. I got it the first time - but you guys sounds so sure, that you must have an official source for what the game is classified as?
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • Posted on 08 December 15 at 21:18
    Twinkling82 said:You guys didn't have to repeat yourself. I got it the first time - but you guys sounds so sure, that you must have an official source for what the game is classified as?well for me it's not a source of fact, it's just memory. I played San Andreas the first time round and nothing has changed at all. Normally on YouTube you can find side by side comparisons of changes but this is just a direct copy. Nothing added, nothing removed.
    Press X to Jason
  • Harris59Harris59974,924
    Posted on 08 December 15 at 21:46
    NUKEDUKEZM said:Twinkling82 said:You guys didn't have to repeat yourself. I got it the first time - but you guys sounds so sure, that you must have an official source for what the game is classified as?well for me it's not a source of fact, it's just memory. I played San Andreas the first time round and nothing has changed at all. Normally on YouTube you can find side by side comparisons of changes but this is just a direct copy. Nothing added, nothing removed.^ Pretty much, unless the changes are fairly major that you can notice like texture upgrades or a boosted frame rate or adding an online portion etc. you can hardly regard it as a remaster by definition (and that'll be my source, the words definition lol), The best way to really tell if it's a remaster or a direct port/emulation is spot the difference, most often it'll be a graphical upgrade like in the HD Remakes that came to PS3 for games like Ratchet and Clank or Jak and Daxter which if you look at side by side have been clearly enhanced graphically, although they of course still look like old games.

From an official stance, even upscaling to a HD screen is enough to label it "remastered" if they choose to, but as you might know, putting a PS1 disc into a PS3 can pretty much do that (If I recall it was an option you can turn on/off in the settings), and that's obviously not a remaster, it's the same damn old disc :P Most companies wouldn't even dare class the equivalent as remasters in fear of being laughed at by almost all gamers xD

So yeah, I'd really be looking for side-by-side comparisons or just using your memory etc. Does it actually look better or have any altered content, simply, has any additional work been put into the game other than making it available on another system? and before you say it, adding trophies doesn't make it "remastered".
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Posted on 09 December 15 at 21:34
    Rogue galaxy hell ya
  • BumbuliuzBumbuliuz265,352
    Posted on 10 December 15 at 00:04
    I picked up GTA: Vice City. It's my favorite game in the series, not a fan of the prices though. Luckily I bought it in the US PSN store and don't have to have the PAL/NTSC conversion issue that Eurogamer mentioned.
  • Posted on 10 April 16 at 17:29
    Now here's to hoping that the .hack// games and Dragon Quest VIII end up being released.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.