Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Eight PS2 Favorites Coming to PS4 Today!

• Posted on 06 December 15 at 21:13
    Would love to see Gladius get ported to PS4. That's one of my all-time faves. Skies of Arcadia too, but that was GameCube.
  • GodDogs83GodDogs8380,417
    Posted on 07 December 15 at 00:29
    will War of the Monsters and Twisted Metal have online play?
  • Posted on 07 December 15 at 01:54
    Glad to see there's others that have never even heard of half of these games. I too, am only familiar with the GTA games and Twisted Metal redface
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Harris59Harris59974,924
    Posted on 07 December 15 at 02:40
    WolfSpiderMonkey said:will War of the Monsters and Twisted Metal have online play?Since they're just emulated titles I doubt there's any changes like that, sadly.

But that being said, if they somehow have added online play I would be willing to re-purchase War of the Monsters again.
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Posted on 07 December 15 at 10:38
    Question: How do people know if the games are ports, emulated or remakes?
    Editor-in-chief of Gamin' Girl - gamingirl.com
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 December 15 at 11:25
    Twinkling82 said:Question: How do people know if the games are ports, emulated or remakes?Technically speaking emulation is just a form of porting, since porting means making a game available for a platform it wasn't for. So the games in this thread run on a PS2 emulator on PS4, which makes them PS4 ports of PS2 games. Remakes are something entirely different.

You can only call something a remake if it's actually a new game/movie and not just the old one improved. Just improving on something old would be a remastered game, a director's cut of a movie, et cetera. A remake needs to be a new entry that follows the old one, like the new Point Break film being a remake/revision of the old film. What is a remake can often be blurry as well, since it could also be a reboot or a revision.
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Posted on 07 December 15 at 14:02
    ROUGE GALAXY! Yes definitely getting that! Was one of my favorite games back in the day would love to replay it though i did hope for a remaster.
  • Posted on 07 December 15 at 15:37
    Billy:

So ports = emulated?

How do people know if these games are remasters or ports?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 December 15 at 15:49
    Twinkling82 said:Billy:

So ports = emulated?

How do people know if these games are remasters or ports?
    Nope. Emulations are ports but ports aren't necessarily emulations. To use a simple metaphore: a cow is an animal but an animal doesn't have to be a cow. Emulations are a way of porting, but there are more ways of porting than emulation. Consider Mass Effect, which was ported to PS3 without the PS3 needing a Windows or X360 emulator.

For a remaster there's usually more going on than simply going to HD but there's nothing stopping Sony from calling these ports "remastered" versions. That would be very lazy remastered versions though, Usually with remasters the actual textures get updated, instead of just the HD view.
  • Posted on 07 December 15 at 15:56
    So no one knows if these GTA games are remasters or not. Right.
    Posted on 07 December 15 at 16:26
    Twinkling82 said:So no one knows if these GTA games are remasters or not. Right.None of these PS2 titles have been remastered.
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 December 15 at 16:29
    Harris59 said:Twinkling82 said:So no one knows if these GTA games are remasters or not. Right.None of these PS2 titles have been remastered.Exactly. Perhaps I said it not clearly enough in my last post but remastered is really something more than just a port. Technically these games are "remastered for 1080p" but stating it like that is bullshit since nothing happened to the textures themselves.
  • Posted on 07 December 15 at 17:02
    Any idea if these will be available anytime soon in EU?
    Posted on 08 December 15 at 03:13
    BillyHorrible said:Harris59 said:Twinkling82 said:So no one knows if these GTA games are remasters or not. Right.None of these PS2 titles have been remastered.Exactly. Perhaps I said it not clearly enough in my last post but remastered is really something more than just a port. Technically these games are "remastered for 1080p" but stating it like that is bullshit since nothing happened to the textures themselves.Yeah, hardly worth calling an up-scaled port a "remaster" lol.

Anyway, just a thought about the game pricing, although if you already own the game it's obviously NOT a good investment, if you don't have the games it's a good choice because every game on here sells for at least double on eBay or Amazon xD For once a digital game that's actually cheaper that physical xD!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 December 15 at 05:33
    Harris59 said:Anyway, just a thought about the game pricing, although if you already own the game it's obviously NOT a good investment, if you don't have the games it's a good choice because every game on here sells for at least double on eBay or Amazon xD For once a digital game that's actually cheaper that physical xD!Yeah for full games it's a reasonably price. Hadn't commented on your earlier post yet because it was late when I read it but:

Harris59 said:The great thing about them selling PS2 games again, despite me still wanting TRUE backwards compatibility... Is at least people like you who have missing out of this era of gaming and the fantastic titles it had to offer which you haven't even heard of can now go and buy/enjoy them!I was thinking qabout this as well. I missed these titles but they all seem to be 80 or higher on MetaCritic so they're probably actually good games. Never heard of them but I will keep an eye on this, definitely come the inevitable first PS2 sale.

I don't think I have to comment on the rest of the subject anymore because since your post, some more people have come forward about not knowing these titles.

I do have some requests for the port list though:

Burnout 2, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (so I can play Fate Of Atlantis), the original Katamari Damacy, Timesplitters Future Perfect...
    Posted on 08 December 15 at 05:57
    I certainly agree with Timesplitters, I'd also like the various Crash/Spyro games (The Legend of Spyro Trilogy would be ideal) and some earlier WipEout games.
  • Posted on 08 December 15 at 11:13, Edited on 08 December 15 at 11:13 by CassiopeiaGames
    Burnout 2? Yes please, I'll gladly play that one again, this time working on trophies. Crash would be fantastic, and since Sony officially do not own the franchise, we can't expect that to happen.

However, Sony have made hints towards the crash franchise, so we might be surprised.

edit: I still do not know how people figure out if the games are remasters or ports though..
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 December 15 at 16:00
    Twinkling82 said:I still do not know how people figure out if the games are remasters or ports though..I feel like we can't make it clearer than we already have.
    Harris59 said:BillyHorrible said:Harris59 said:Twinkling82 said:So no one knows if these GTA games are remasters or not. Right.None of these PS2 titles have been remastered.Exactly. Perhaps I said it not clearly enough in my last post but remastered is really something more than just a port. Technically these games are "remastered for 1080p" but stating it like that is bullshit since nothing happened to the textures themselves.Yeah, hardly worth calling an up-scaled port a "remaster" lol.These games are not remastered versions, but since they went to 1080p anyone advertising them as remastered would be technically right (but an asshole).
    Posted on 08 December 15 at 16:30
    Twinkling82 said:I still do not know how people figure out if the games are remasters or ports though..Port - Putting a game elsewhere, Super Meat Boy for example was a port to PS4, this can be done in ANY way including remasters etc. by definition "transfer (software) from one system or machine to another." that's all it is, putting something from PS4 to PC, or PC to XBOX, or XBOX to PS4 etc.

Remaster - A remaster is re-releasing it with additional touches such as improving the textures/resolution, adding online multiplayer to an older game that was local only etc. by definition "make a new master of (a recording), typically in order to improve the quality."

A remaster is a type of port, a port can be many things, a port is simply moving something to another system by any means, including remasters and emulation but if the just do nothing to it and it's not being emulated it's just a simple port by itself.

But to quote Billy...
    BillyHorrible said:I feel like we can't make it clearer than we already have.Sorry :(
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.