BillyHorrible's Super Fun Time Polls Deluxe

What PS2 games to play on PS4?

• Posted on 25 November 15 at 23:10
    They are not the exact same thing at all. Now you're just snowballing into some hyperbole.
    Nintendo has rereleased a lot of classics. But they are not profiteering by releasing them at £40, they're releasing them at dirt cheap prices.
    Looking at this last week, you could get Double Dragon 3/Ninja Gaiden 2/3 for £3.50.
    Do Sony even release classics anymore? When was the last time, and what were they priced at? Can you even find them on the store?
    Tell me they're the "EXACT SAME THING" one more time.

Now that you've all calmed your breathing, I'd better state the bloody obvious. Do you remember what backwards compatibility is? No, it's not that shambles the goons over at xbox promised! No, it's not that PS Now subscription they're toying with!
    Nintendo has had backwards compatibility on every major modern release, home console or handheld, where it was possible. NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii all jumped media types, but the Wii brought backwards compatibility with cube's small-sized discs nonetheless, and also had most of the hardware ports, which was followed up by the Wii U being almost entirely backwards compatible with Wii and its infinite peripherals.

By the way, you might want to keep up the illusion by pretending you've never heard of nintendo handhelds. GameBoy, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, all successors that were backwards compatible. 25 years of the backwards compatible chain and sony can't even pull it off once. YOU HAD ONE JOB.
    Tell me how they're the "EXACT SAME THING" one more time.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 November 15 at 23:16, Edited on 25 November 15 at 23:21 by
    Harris59 said:BillyHorrible said:Really though, If you already have bought a PS2 game you can just play it on a PS2 console. How come Nintendo can release a tidalwave of games from previous consoles/handhelds digitally and nobody cares, but when it's Sony then it's suddenly a problem?I don't like Nintendo doing it either but you have an interesting point there. The internet generally approve of so many things if certain companies do them, like stuff on Steam or Nintendo stuff but if another company does the EXACT SAME THING, they get hated on like it's the worst thing in the world! Nintendo has dumb practices too, it's true! D:

I swear both Nintendo and Steam are immune to criticism, don't you dare say legit criticism for either or you'll be bombarded with hate :/
    I can't even fathom how Super Mario Maker gets lauded with rave reviews when it's basically just what the ROM hacking world has been doing for decades. They're just trying to make another buck on a franchise that has been dead for a while. Since Super Mario World in 1990, only three games in the main franchise worth noting have been released: Super Mario 64 and both Mario Galaxy games. Four games if you count Yoshi's Island since it's real title is "Super Mario World 2", but still only three games worth talking about since the turn to 3D in 1996. Those "New Super Mario Bros" games were awful. Can't stand them. They don't know what to do with the series anymore so they just try to cobble stuff together and people eat it all.

Nobody dares ask why the 3DS doesn't have a GameBoy Advance slot like the DS had. No, they'll just re-buy them in the store. Nobody gives a shout when the Wii U, unlike the Wii, can't read GameCube discs, or why SNES and other Virtual Console games bought on the Wii have to be re-bought on the Wii U. Yet everyone expects Sony to keep giving us the same games we bought once over a decade ago for free.

Nintendo does it: Yay, they care for us that they make the SNES games available again! Let's give them too much money for it!

Soney does it: Boooh! Money-grabbing company! How dare they make PS2 games available on PS4 and not accept my disc version!

I guess that just because Nintendo is aimed at kids (wasn't exactly true two decades ago but definitely true now) they can get away with more. Sony is almost exclusively an adult's console company and thus gets way more criticism for exactly the same moves.

Prem-aka-Prince said:Nintendo has rereleased a lot of classics. But they are not profiteering by releasing them at £40, they're releasing them at dirt cheap prices.... Nope. Super Star Wars, Jedi Starfighter and the likes would go for $10 on Nintendo's Virtual Console. Super Star Wars at least is $10 on PS4 and it seems that the other Star Wars games would get this price as well.
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Harris59Harris591,196,185
    Posted on 26 November 15 at 01:18, Edited on 26 November 15 at 01:22 by Harris59
    Whoops, it happened, I predicted it, say anything bad about Nintendo and you'll get bashed for it.

Simply put Prem, I don't care if Nintendo "isn't as bad", they still have some BS practices which they get away with while other companies get hated to death over it. Nintendo aren't perfect, get over it. We were obviously just being clear that Nintendo doesn't get a free pass, regardless how cool their games are.

They did do backwards compatibility, but so did Sony in the same time period, so I don't see why their past is even relevant, Sony and Nintendo pretty much killed backwards compatibility at the same time but Nintendo have been around for longer and had more consoles... How does that mean they're "Better" at backwards compatibility. All game companies have realised that nostalgia sells, REALLY WELL, cut off the backwards compatibility and re-sell the games = $$$

BillyHorrible said:Nintendo does it: Yay, they care for us that they make the SNES games available again! Let's give them too much money for it!

Soney does it: Boooh! Money-grabbing company! How dare they make PS2 games available on PS4 and not accept my disc version!
    Best summary ever.

However, I will say this, I saw a video where a guy modded his PS4 system software and was able to run PS1/PS2 discs, so the hardware is physically able to while Nintendo doesn't have a physical SNES slot, that's the only comparison I'll give in favor of Nintendo, at least they're less able to add the function, what is Sony's excuse?
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 26 November 15 at 08:00
    Harris59 said:However, I will say this, I saw a video where a guy modded his PS4 system software and was able to run PS1/PS2 discs, so the hardware is physically able to while Nintendo doesn't have a physical SNES slot, that's the only comparison I'll give in favor of Nintendo, at least they're less able to add the function, what is Sony's excuse?Well, Wii U should be able to handle GameCube discs, though I'm prepared to give you the older consoles.

My guess has always been that making the PS4 able to read PS2/PS3 discs takes away power from the processing unit, so the games will run less smooth. I've been thinking that the reason X1 is so much worse than PS4 in terms of power and graphics handling (while their actual processing core is not that different, it's basically the same thing but PS4's is a teeny bit bigger) is that the X1 tries to do a lot of different things at once while the PS4 is just a game station. "This is for the players", such a true marketing slogan.
  • Posted on 26 November 15 at 18:44
    I don't know why I clicked on this topic again I must have a head injury but here goesBillyHorrible said:Nobody dares ask why the 3DS doesn't have a GameBoy Advance slot like the DS had.You can ask rhetorically (if you DARE angry) but the answer is obvious. It's a physical hardware slot. Why increase the price and bulk of the system for something that's literally a decade old? That was two generations ago and there are literally millions of working devices that can play them, why do you need another. So many 3DS buyers already had a DS.
    BillyHorrible said:... Nobody gives a shout when the Wii U, unlike the Wii, can't read GameCube discs,Again, physical components. For a 10 year old console.
    For starters there is no longer a set of GC controller slots nor Memory Card slots, but the bigger problem is the discs. My research tells me that the Wii U's disc drive is not physically able to read gamecube discs, feel free to find any kind of source that says that it can
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2r7mdc/so_why_cant_th...
    BillyHorrible said:...or why SNES and other Virtual Console games bought on the Wii have to be re-bought on the Wii U. Yet everyone expects Sony to keep giving us the same games we bought once over a decade ago for free.First of all, lack of unified account system is one of Nintendo's biggest faults to this day, everybody knows that. But you only have to pay a small fee to "upgrade" (or more accurately re-license) and then you can use all new features on the new hardware. It's not a subscription it's an one time enhancement fee. Someone had to do the work to make it compatible and it's not unreasonable for Nintendo to pass on some of those costs. And I couldn't find european prices but the USA upgrade was only $1 NES/$1.50 SNES, that's tuppence.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/69488775
    Oh, and BY THE WAY, you can still play them on Wii U without paying a dime, so this whole section of your argument is moot. If sony charged $2 for trophy patches on PS2 games that would be equivalent, but since the PS2 games are not still playable by system transfer, it's not.BillyHorrible said:Nintendo does it: Yay, they care for us that they make the SNES games available again! Let's give them too much money for it!$1.50 is "too much money"? Hyperbole?BillyHorrible said:Soney does it: Boooh! Money-grabbing company! How dare they make PS2 games available on PS4 and not accept my disc version!See above, but tl;dr Wii U physically can't read Cube games, SNES cartridges are physically incompatible with disc slots, AND Wii U does play Wii VC games for free. In other words go back to the drawing board.BillyHorrible said:I guess that just because Nintendo is aimed at kids (wasn't exactly true two decades ago but definitely true now) they can get away with more. Sony is almost exclusively an adult's console company and thus gets way more criticism for exactly the same moves.Double take, did you just literally belittle your opposition, or was it accidental? That's quite witty.BillyHorrible said:Prem-aka-Prince said:Nintendo has rereleased a lot of classics. But they are not profiteering by releasing them at £40, they're releasing them at dirt cheap prices.... Nope. Super Star Wars, Jedi Starfighter and the likes would go for $10 on Nintendo's Virtual Console. Super Star Wars at least is $10 on PS4 and it seems that the other Star Wars games would get this price as well."Good for them"? "It's about time"? "That's more like it"?
    Pick one
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    Harris59 said:Whoops, it happened, I predicted it, say anything bad about Nintendo and you'll get bashed for it.
    ...Nintendo aren't perfect, get over it.
    Show me one part where I claimed or demonstrated that nintendo are perfect and I will literally jump from the roof of your house and die.Harris59 said:They did do backwards compatibility, but so did Sony in the same time period, so I don't see why their past is even relevant, Sony and Nintendo pretty much killed backwards compatibility at the same time...What. WHAT. Oh my God. Oh my God I'm going to haemorrhage.
    Breathe. Breathe.
    Prove me wrong: Sony ended integrated BC with the launch of the 2007 wave of PS3s.

Nintendo ended integrated BC with the oh that's right no they still do it.
    ...Don't even try to prove me wrong on that obvious fact I will literally take a webcam and record both Wii U and 3DS playing last gen physical games.Harris59 said:However, I will say this, I saw a video where a guy modded his PS4 system software and was able to run PS1/PS2 discs, so the hardware is physically able to while Nintendo doesn't have a physical SNES slot, that's the only comparison I'll give in favor of Nintendo, at least they're less able to add the function, what is Sony's excuse?After all that huffing and puffing and patting each other down is there finally some sliver of logic in this thread...? You mean SNES cartridges physically can't work on Wii U, while PS1 and PS2 discs can work on PS4? Isn't that right where we started?
    ...nah, can't be. Crazy talk.BillyHorrible said:Harris59 said:...while Nintendo doesn't have a physical SNES slot, that's the only comparison I'll give in favor of Nintendo, at least they're less able to add the function, what is Sony's excuse?Well, Wii U should be able to handle GameCube discs, though I'm prepared to give you the older consoles.BillyHorrible said:... Nope.
    =Semper Fi=
    Posted on 26 November 15 at 19:45
    Prem, don't even try to deny a fact, I don't care how much fan-love you have for Nintendo, the cold hard fact is that Nintendo and Sony ditched backwards compatibility at approx. the same time, give or take a year, just because they had MORE consoles and are OLDER does not mean they did backwards compatibility 'better' than Sony, both are exploiting the 'buy retro games' cash-grab these days, deal with it roll .

But hey, how dare I criticize Nintendo, I'm going to drop it now before it gets silly, there is no conversation to be had with people in denial with Nintendo, it's like trying to talk to Steam fanboys, no logic or reasoning to be had. Just keep thinking Nintendo are the glorious kings who have never made any mistakes and never practice the things that other companies are criticized for.

I don't see why Nintendo defenders get so heated over it, calm down, your post is filled to the brim with aggression just because someone disagrees in a practice that Nintendo does because they're not a hypocrite laugh .
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 26 November 15 at 20:59
    Prem, I don't know if you've really got a headache or if you're just trying to give me one but I'm not going to answer on that post, writing replies on everything I think was wrong with that wall of text would take much more time than I've got right now. Maybe next week.
  • Posted on 06 December 15 at 10:10
    biff_beefcake said:One game I've personally always wanted to play but never have is Dark Cloud, so I would enjoy seeing that one in the lineup.Huh, it looks like Dark Cloud -did- make it to PS4 after all! I'm sure everyone's already seen the news article, but I'll post it here just in case. :) I definitely wasn't expecting anything so soon, though.

Eight PS2 Favorites Coming to PS4 Today!
  • Posted on 06 December 15 at 11:43, Edited on 06 December 15 at 11:52 by Prem-aka-Prince
    Harris59 said:Prem, don't even try to deny a fact, I don't care how much fan-love you have for Nintendo, the cold hard fact is that Nintendo and Sony ditched backwards compatibility at approx. the same time, give or take a year...Harris59 said:Sony and Nintendo pretty much killed backwards compatibility at the same time...Prove me wrong: Sony ended integrated BC with the launch of the 2007 wave of PS3s.
    Nintendo ended integrated BC with the oh that's right no they still do it.
    Can we skip past the broken record phase? Prove it and I'll give you my house keys.
    Because here's mine: Wii U: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLQ6YvmzTc0
    and 3DS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHn6BCxkMM
    Now have you got some basis in reality or are you just all talk?
    Harris59 said:But hey, how dare I criticize Nintendo, I'm going to drop it now before it gets silly...people in denial with Nintendo...no logic or reasoning to be had. Just keep thinking Nintendo are the glorious kings who have never made any mistakes and never practice the things that other companies are criticized for.Prem-aka-Prince said:Harris59 said:...Nintendo aren't perfect, get over it.Show me one part where I claimed or demonstrated that nintendo are perfect and I will literally jump from the roof of your house and die.Again with the broken record routine, I never said any of the things you claim, but if you want to abandon your made-up point then good, that's better for all of us. I have provided both logic and numbers for my point, where's yours? Give us one fact which you can prove.
    Harris59 said:...calm down, your post is filled to the brim with aggression just because someone disagrees in a practice that Nintendo does because they're not a hypocrite laugh.BillyHorrible said:...writing replies on everything I think was wrong with that wall of text would take much more time than I've got right now. Maybe next week.I did need to calm myself down because to quote a greater man before me I am impatient with stupidity, but if you think that was aggression then you have no idea, for your own safety please stay indoors, if you go outside people may say things that disagree with you.
    Billy yes I realise it is hard to reply to but it was also hard to compile. You don't have to reply but I wanted to reply point by point so it would be crystal clear what I was saying and why and no excuses could be made.
    =Semper Fi=
    Posted on 06 December 15 at 16:32
    Prem-aka-Prince said: I have provided both logic and numbers for my point, where's yours? Give us one fact which you can prove.I have never seen you use and logic of facts this entire argument, but okay let's just pretend you did buddy, good job :D

You can't just self-claim you've made a good argument, especially when you haven't actually made any argument, you disagree with our opinion on Nintendo, you're pushing your opinion, you supply no facts, you get heated and angry that we disagree... For god's sake, people are allowed other opinions, it's not like we're claiming things that are false.

Prem-aka-Prince said:I did need to calm myself down because to quote a greater man before me I am impatient with stupidity, but if you think that was aggression then you have no idea, for your own safety please stay indoors, if you go outside people may say things that disagree with you.
    Billy yes I realise it is hard to reply to but it was also hard to compile. You don't have to reply but I wanted to reply point by point so it would be crystal clear what I was saying and why and no excuses could be made.
    You need to give this high and mighty attitude a rest, you act like some kind of "intellectually superior" being yet all you do is post walls of nothing with that attitude, just rambling on and on with no facts or proper argument at all... Oh, we're all stupid are we? That's your big counter to any facts we place in front of you... Okay then, good luck with that, you should take your own advice and stay indoors, because clearly it's YOU who has the problem with people disagreeing with you, we have a valid opinion on how we view the practices based on some ofthe facts, by all means disagree, but trying to spin it as we're "wrong" or "stupid" just makes you look a complete fool.

Thanks for taking the time to write another one of your rambling responses though.
  • Posted on 06 December 15 at 17:05, Edited on 06 December 15 at 17:26 by Prem-aka-Prince
    Fact: Wii U plays Wii games
    Fact: 3DS plays DS games
    =Semper Fi=
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads