BillyHorrible's Super Fun Time Polls Deluxe

What PS2 games to play on PS4?

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 November 15 at 23:25
    As some of us already talked about, the PS4 will be getting a PS2 emulator.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps2-emulation-confirmed-for...

This means that PS2 games can be re-released for PS4 with trophy support. Possibly also PS1 titles...

As part of the Star Wars PS4 release, a couple of PS2 games have already been re-released, though for now only for those who got the Dart Vader PS4:
    Star Wars Bounty Hunter
    Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
    Star Wars: Racer Revenge

Since these three were accompanied by Super Star Wars which has already been released as a separate sale item, we have good hopes that the other three will be available for purchase without too much delay. Personally, I'm mainly looking out for Racer Revenge and Jedi Starfighter, two games I've never played before.

So tell me, which games should I certainly look out for? I've grabbed a bunch of PS2 titles together from the wiki list, feel free to comment in the thread if one or more of your choices aren't in there, or if you want to advise more than one game.

Symbolic closing time of poll is when The Force Awakens will be released, I have a feeling the Star Wars games will be up for sale by then...
    Poll: Which PS2 titles should I look out for when they're available on PS4?
    • 0% - 24: The Game
    • 0% - Any of the Ace Combat games
    • 0% - Battlestar Galactica
    • 0% - Burnout 2: Point of Impact
    • 0% - Dino Stalker
    • 0% - Everblue
    • 9.1% - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    • 0% - Half-Life
    • 18.2% - All of Harry Potter
    • 0% - Ico
    • 9.1% - Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings (for the Fate Of Atlantis secret, fool!)
    • 0% - Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
    • 9.1% - Katamari Damacy
    • 0% - Lemmings
    • 0% - The Matrix: Path of Neo
    • 0% - Max Payne
    • 0% - Metal Slug Anthology
    • 9.1% - Micro Machines
    • 0% - Shadow of the Colossus
    • 0% - The Simpsons Game
    • 0% - Speed Racer
    • 0% - Any of the Star Wars games
    • 0% - Theme Park World
    • 9.1% - TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
    • 9.1% - Nothing, there's much better PS3/PS4 games you haven't played yet
    • 0% - I don't know and I don't know why I answered this in this poll
    • 9.1% - There's too much in there that I love
    • 18.2% - It is clear from this list that you know nothing. I'll write down a list for you in the thread

We had 11 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 November 15 at 23:27
    I myself voted "There's too much in there that I love" since next to the Star Wars games I would love having Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Metal Slug Anthology and Half-Life.
  • Posted on 24 November 15 at 23:33, Edited on 24 November 15 at 23:34 by munchmagic1986
    There are some there that are available with trophies (Ico and SotC also had HD makeover), some that are rumoured to be coming soon (GTA: SA, and if the 360 is anything to go by it will be true).

I went for Micro Machines. I don't actually remember seeing this on PS2 though, only on Mega Drive. We did get a spritual successor with Toybox Turbo but that was lacking a little bit of the charm.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 November 15 at 23:41
    munchmagic1986 said:There are some there that are available with trophies (Ico and SotC also had HD makeover), some that are rumoured to be coming soon (GTA: SA, and if the 360 is anything to go by it will be true).Yeah, I skipped all the ones with HD makeovers which I already own smile
    Unfortunately, San Andreas on the X360 was a lousy phone port (really). Better off with a PS2 port.
  • Harris59Harris591,201,297
    Posted on 25 November 15 at 00:09
    Timesplitters I voted, but there's so many more awesome PS2 games, are they ALL available for emulation or is it like PSNow where we get a selection and have to pay for them again?
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 00:29
    Harris59 said:Timesplitters I voted, but there's so many more awesome PS2 games, are they ALL available for emulation or is it like PSNow where we get a selection and have to pay for them again?Just the Star Wars ones for now. I imagine you will need to pay for them when they do arrive in full though, possibly even lumped into PS Now.
    Posted on 25 November 15 at 00:42
    munchmagic1986 said:Harris59 said:Timesplitters I voted, but there's so many more awesome PS2 games, are they ALL available for emulation or is it like PSNow where we get a selection and have to pay for them again?Just the Star Wars ones for now. I imagine you will need to pay for them when they do arrive in full though, possibly even lumped into PS Now.Well if that's true imagine my vote as "none" lol, I hate when we have to buy our games again to play them EMULATED! I'll stick to the old consoles to play them... They should at least just recognize the disc or something and make games you already have FREE!
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 November 15 at 07:36
    Harris59 said:munchmagic1986 said:Harris59 said:Timesplitters I voted, but there's so many more awesome PS2 games, are they ALL available for emulation or is it like PSNow where we get a selection and have to pay for them again?Just the Star Wars ones for now. I imagine you will need to pay for them when they do arrive in full though, possibly even lumped into PS Now.Well if that's true imagine my vote as "none" lol, I hate when we have to buy our games again to play them EMULATED! I'll stick to the old consoles to play them... They should at least just recognize the disc or something and make games you already have FREE!I don't have a single PS2 game yet (I've been Nintendo only from SNES to Wii) so just digital downloads wouldn't be a problem for me. It's just the Star Wars ones for now (by ways of testing, I guess) but it's likely now that more games will be released in the future.

I have no idea if the disc would be recognised. That's a whole different thing from just digital emulation.

I won't get PlayStation Now though. Nevah!
  • ZoeperJZoeperJ34,461
    Posted on 25 November 15 at 07:48
    I am trying to sell my old PS2... maybe just maybe I could play some more SSX smile
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 09:42
    007 Agent Under Fire
    007 Everything Or Nothing
    007 Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
    007 Nightfire
    007 From Russia With Love
    Black
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Burnout Dominator
    Burnout Revenge
    Crash Nitro Kart
    Gran Turismo 3 A-spec
    Gran Turismo 4
    Smackdown Vs Raw: Here Comes The Pain
    Smackdown Vs Raw: Shut Your Mouth
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
    Tony Hawk' Underground
    Tony Hawk's Underground 2
    Top Spin
    V8 Supercars 3
    Virtua Tennis 2

I'm also saying yes to Burnout 2 and 24: The Game headspin
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 11:45
    I voted for Katamari Damacy, but really I had We Love Katamari in mind when I voted for it. I enjoyed that game a lot. :) Though to be honest, the Katamari Forever game that was released for PS3 has a lot of the levels from both PS2 games and offers a very similar experience. (It was also the reason I even got a PS3!)

One game I've personally always wanted to play but never have is Dark Cloud, so I would enjoy seeing that one in the lineup.
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 11:50, Edited on 25 November 15 at 11:50 by MysticalShadow86
    Oh yeah I forgot about the older Bond games, so much better than the rubbish we have now.

Deus Ex
    Ghosthunter
    Need for Speed - Most Wanted
    Resident Evil Outbreak
    Return to Castle Wolfenstien
    Smackdown Vs Raw
    Star Trek - Voyager Elite Force
    The Simpsons - Hit & Run
    The Operative: No One Lives Forever

Hopefully those Darth Vader PS4 exclusives will come to the rest of us. Also hopefully we will get alot more PS2 classics emulated and with trophies. Be good to get some non-Star Wars games as well.
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 14:50, Edited on 25 November 15 at 14:50 by Prem-aka-Prince
    I'm not sure what your source is because that article doesn't confirm anything, but okay we'll go with it...

I think most of these games are dated and/or forgettable, I think as much as the old Burnout games were good in their time (especially with splitscreen) there are enough spiritual sequels you can find one that focuses on your favourite aspects and makes the old ones redundant.

The 007 games were good but they're out of their time now, and TimeSplitters for its time was one of my favourite games of all time (where the hell is TS2 on your list), but ultimately it's dated now especially if it's not going to have 4-player local multiplayer.

Some games like ICO and SotC you can just play the much lauded HD remaster which will invariably be better quality than an emulator, but for the most part I maintain that there are a ton of better PS3/4 games you should just play instead. I mean just the pure logic of it is obvious, if you think poorly inflated 10-15 year old games are better than games made natively for PS3/4 then put away your PS4 and go play those on your HDTV.

...No?
    I didn't think so.
    =Semper Fi=
    Posted on 25 November 15 at 18:39
    BillyHorrible said:Harris59 said:munchmagic1986 said:Harris59 said:Timesplitters I voted, but there's so many more awesome PS2 games, are they ALL available for emulation or is it like PSNow where we get a selection and have to pay for them again?Just the Star Wars ones for now. I imagine you will need to pay for them when they do arrive in full though, possibly even lumped into PS Now.Well if that's true imagine my vote as "none" lol, I hate when we have to buy our games again to play them EMULATED! I'll stick to the old consoles to play them... They should at least just recognize the disc or something and make games you already have FREE!I don't have a single PS2 game yet (I've been Nintendo only from SNES to Wii) so just digital downloads wouldn't be a problem for me. It's just the Star Wars ones for now (by ways of testing, I guess) but it's likely now that more games will be released in the future.

I have no idea if the disc would be recognised. That's a whole different thing from just digital emulation.

I won't get PlayStation Now though. Nevah!
    The annoying thing is the console KNOWS when you're using a PS1 or PS2 disc as opposed to a regular CD or DVD, it's AWARE that you're putting something of a Playstation format, so surely it should be able to at least read what that game is and allow you to digitally emulate that specific game for free, since you own it... Same goes for the PS3 games on PSNow... ESPECIALLY games you've bought on the PSStore for PS3, they should know for sure that you have those games!

Sony, stop making us buy stuff we've already bought! You already have our money!
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 19:40, Edited on 25 November 15 at 19:40 by MysticalShadow86
    Harris59 said:The annoying thing is the console KNOWS when you're using a PS1 or PS2 disc as opposed to a regular CD or DVD, it's AWARE that you're putting something of a Playstation format, so surely it should be able to at least read what that game is and allow you to digitally emulate that specific game for free, since you own it... Same goes for the PS3 games on PSNow... ESPECIALLY games you've bought on the PSStore for PS3, they should know for sure that you have those games!

Sony, stop making us buy stuff we've already bought! You already have our money!
    Has anyone actually tried putting a PS2 disc in?
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 19:53
    MysticalShadow86 said:Harris59 said:The annoying thing is the console KNOWS when you're using a PS1 or PS2 disc as opposed to a regular CD or DVD, it's AWARE that you're putting something of a Playstation format...Has anyone actually tried putting a PS2 disc in?You DARE doubt Harris!?!?
    ...just kidding, but though I believe him I'll try one now myself just to give you an independent source. I have a copy of Onimusha Warlords (PS2, 2001) here which I have not tested on PS2 but looks scratch-free...
    PS4 simply says Unsupported Disc.
    Shadow of Memories (PS2, 2001) ...same result.
    Wild Wild Racing, The Sims 2 (NTSC), and even OPS2M Demo 2, all same result.
    Therefore conclusion is evidence is not available. dive
    =Semper Fi=
    Posted on 25 November 15 at 20:34
    MysticalShadow86 said:Harris59 said:The annoying thing is the console KNOWS when you're using a PS1 or PS2 disc as opposed to a regular CD or DVD, it's AWARE that you're putting something of a Playstation format, so surely it should be able to at least read what that game is and allow you to digitally emulate that specific game for free, since you own it... Same goes for the PS3 games on PSNow... ESPECIALLY games you've bought on the PSStore for PS3, they should know for sure that you have those games!

Has anyone actually tried putting a PS2 disc in?
    It wont work, neither will PS1 discs, I tried a few different games in the past, a few random ones then a game I would consider "popular" in case only certain games may be supported or something xD (because my PS3 can read a COUPLE of PS2 games for some reason)
  • Posted on 25 November 15 at 20:35
    Prem-aka-Prince said:Therefore conclusion is evidence is not available. diveThats a shame. Thanks for trying anyway.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 November 15 at 21:50
    Prem-aka-Prince said:MysticalShadow86 said:Harris59 said:The annoying thing is the console KNOWS when you're using a PS1 or PS2 disc as opposed to a regular CD or DVD, it's AWARE that you're putting something of a Playstation format...Has anyone actually tried putting a PS2 disc in?You DARE doubt Harris!?!?
    ...just kidding, but though I believe him I'll try one now myself just to give you an independent source. I have a copy of Onimusha Warlords (PS2, 2001) here which I have not tested on PS2 but looks scratch-free...
    PS4 simply says Unsupported Disc.
    Shadow of Memories (PS2, 2001) ...same result.
    Wild Wild Racing, The Sims 2 (NTSC), and even OPS2M Demo 2, all same result.
    Therefore conclusion is evidence is not available. dive
    Conclusion is your PS4 sucks laugh

Harris59 said:Sony, stop making us buy stuff we've already bought! You already have our money!Really though, If you already have bought a PS2 game you can just play it on a PS2 console. How come Nintendo can release a tidalwave of games from previous consoles/handhelds digitally and nobody cares, but when it's Sony then it's suddenly a problem?
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
    Posted on 25 November 15 at 22:38, Edited on 25 November 15 at 22:40 by Harris59
    BillyHorrible said:Really though, If you already have bought a PS2 game you can just play it on a PS2 console. How come Nintendo can release a tidalwave of games from previous consoles/handhelds digitally and nobody cares, but when it's Sony then it's suddenly a problem?I don't like Nintendo doing it either but you have an interesting point there. The internet generally approve of so many things if certain companies do them, like stuff on Steam or Nintendo stuff but if another company does the EXACT SAME THING, they get hated on like it's the worst thing in the world! Nintendo has dumb practices too, it's true! D:

I swear both Nintendo and Steam are immune to criticism, don't you dare say legit criticism for either or you'll be bombarded with hate :/
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads