TrueTrophies Polls

Forum for our TrueTrophies Polls

What game mode do you buy FPS games for?

• Posted on 23 November 15 at 14:45, Edited on 04 December 15 at 00:05 by Punkyliar
    Last week, we asked what upcoming PS4 exclusive you were most looking forward to. There is a lot coming our way in the year or two, but the three games you are looking forward to the most are:
    20.2% - Uncharted 4
    18.1% - Final Fantasy VII Remake
    13.0% - Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Some of you may have heard about the latest Call of Duty title, Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and how the last gen release of it somewhat differs from the current gen. The franchise itself is quite popular for it's multi-player component, but it also features a, most of the time, decent campaign to play through on your lonesome. While the current gen features all of these and more, last gen is a little left out as it does not feature the campaign mode. A move which might not sit well with players who don't touch MP in the games but are fans of the campaigns they provide.

This got one of our TrueAchievement users, HOBO Gord420, wondering what game modes the TGN community buys FPS titles for. Are you a single-player only kind of person? Is multi-player your jam? Do you even play shooters? Let us know below.
    Poll: What mode do you buy FPS games for?
    • 48.9% - Campaign
    • 2.8% - Special game modes ie Zombies/ Horde
    • 9.9% - Multiplayer
    • 22.2% - All of the above
    • 16.2% - I don't play shooters

We had 284 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • BarsoomianBarsoomian329,323
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 15:11
    It depends on the game, and historically how much focus that franchise has had on SP. For instance, Battlefield has typically seen its focus on MP and that's where I've spent the bulk of my time. I would give them a pass for no campaigns. Other games with SP and MP have focused on the SP a lot, like CoD, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, and with those I'd be far less likely to buy if they cut SP. They also can't do what Evolve did: release at full price with light content and a ton of paid dlc at launch.
  • Rick_NyaRick_Nya1,458,696
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 15:23
    Singleplayer. I avoid multiplayer games like the plague.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 23 November 15 at 15:24, Edited on 23 November 15 at 15:34 by
    Campaign, don't need the rest.

20.2% - Uncharted 4
    18.1% - Final Fantasy VII Remake
    13.0% - Horizon: Zero Dawn
    A shame that an original IP is only third on this list when there's so many great new games being developed. Instead, what we as a group apparently want most is sequels and remakes.

On Uncharted: I get it, it's got a nice story but let's not pretend that the gameplay is basically a white guy playing genocide on non-white populations. Looking back I was kinda disappointed with the first three games, expected a lot more after it had been talked up so much.

As for Final Fantasy: big whoop, they've got so many sequels with and without numbers that they themselves barely know how many there are any more. And now they've joined the remake trend. Nice for the fans but I fail to see how this would be the most anticipated game of the year.

Before anyone plays the Assassin's Creed card: Yeah I still play and really enjoy each new installment, but it's never my most anticipated game of the year.

Still, I guess it could be worse. I'll never unlive how hyped people were when they could play Halo 1 for the fourth time. Talk about remakes...
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • MonkeyBrad91MonkeyBrad91457,153
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 15:37
    All of the above for me. Games are about the whole experience, not one specific part of it. :)
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 15:51
    I put multiplayer, but my actual answer is campaign and multiplayer. Not a fan of zombie mode at all so all of the above didn't apply.
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET577,112
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 16:01
    Campaign is my vote. I'll play multiplayer if it's fun and has trophies.
    Remember to give credit to the person who got you to join the site!
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 16:14
    Campaign Co-op probably should have been an option, as stories have deteriorated so much that that is pretty much the only reason I'd get an FPS these days.

Doubt anyone is interested in the personal details but since I just dug it all up for myself I might as well write it down before I forget: I have trophies for only 5 'shooters' on TT (using MGC to filter the tagging on TT which may or may not be correct), and all the worst ones are FPS.
    Modern Warfare 2 and Killzone 2 from '09, decent games but forgettable, and Payday 2 in '14 (which I regret).
    Then the excellent Spec Ops The Line and The Order 1886 both in 2015. These were two excellent games and, though lacking campaign co-op, were all about the campaign. And also both 3PS.

Mostly I played Shooters on xbox 360, which I haven't really played for about 2 years. MGC tells me I have achievements in 13 shooters on there (almost triple as many then), but 9 of those are Halo or Gears of War. I enjoyed Halo 4 but I'm not touching MCC and I don't want an X1 yet. Gears Judgment was pretty bad though.
    Anyway, apart from the excellent campaign modes in these, including a well established campaign co-op of up to 4 players, my favourite was probably Ghost Recon Future Soldier with its excellent 4-player campaign co-operation!! Shame it was online only though. And shame about the grindy multiplayer (in most of the above too). BTW, GR:FS is a 3PS, so another strike against FPS.
    One last thing though, TimeShift was an excellent if flawed game, all about the campaign though lacking any co-op (for good reasons) and having a tonne of flaws. Still, a rare plus for FPS.

So that's why I chose campaign even though there's no campaign co-op option, even though FPS is not always better than 3PS.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 16:47
    GAMERJET said:Campaign is my vote. I'll play multiplayer if it's fun and has trophies.Same for me. I'm not a big fan of zombies though.
    Press X to Jason
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 17:22
    Campaign and Zombies, hate multiplayer.
  • ArmyVaultArmyVault308,230
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 17:47
    I play shooters for everything it has to offer. I am not afraid of multiplayer and that is the main reason I play shooters. I enjoy co-op modes (campaign/zombies) as well.
  • Harris59Harris591,196,912
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 18:06, Edited on 23 November 15 at 18:53 by Harris59
    Shame about the last results, very predictable cry

Anyways, I put 'All of the above', because it's mixed.

Like a lot of genres FPS is broad, there's a huge difference between some types of FPS games and others. While some make great hoard/survival games others have amazing campaigns, then we have games like CoD/CS that are basically only for multiplayer despite CoD still having the other modes. Because of this I don't seek out an FPS games for one particular mode, I seek it out for simply being a good game and having at least one of those modes stand out well.

Typically with FPS games however I do expect a Multiplayer and would probably question buying the game if it didn't but if it is strong in other modes I'd still probably get it.

According to TT I have 17 FPS games (gosh, I didn't realise it was that many lol)

None of them actually stand out that much looking at them haha, Payday 2, Doom 3 BFG Edition and Duke Nukem 3D are probably the most positive stand-out games (and 2 of those are old-school FPS), the Call of Duty series is obviously there up until Black Ops 2, I played for multiplayer back in the day, I even used to be quite 'in' with the community. Black Ops 2 however was really just for the Zombies mode. Killzone 2 & 3 were mostly for the Campaign to be honest, although I loved Killzone 2 Multiplayer, they kinda changed it a lot in 3 so... bleh. Battlefield 3 was a choice I made solely for Multiplayer and I almost always had a squad of mates to play with, it really was a blast with friends (I still treasure some of the memories at that time!).
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Helmaroc_Helmaroc_171,441
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 19:17
    As with pretty much every type of genre, for the single player content.
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 20:52
    NUKEDUKEZM said:GAMERJET said:Campaign is my vote. I'll play multiplayer if it's fun and has trophies.Same for me. I'm not a big fan of zombies though.Same here, will go for any easy MP trophies but that's about it.
    Balls................ Funder....Balls.
  • deutschZuiddeutschZuid669,823
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 21:48
    I rarely play fpses....
  • TheTrueHMDTheTrueHMD120,943
    Posted on 23 November 15 at 22:01
    If There was no campaign I would not be likely to pick up the game. Destiny is an odd exception as the PvE content is multiplayer. But they pulled it off well enough. If there are no trophies in MP or if the trophies will take forever to obtain IE. prestige. or hit a high level I tend to not even touch MP anymore.

Last time I played a game for the MP and enjoyed it was CoD, MW2. Since then I have not found a multiplayer worth playing.
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 22:33
    Its a damn shame that Shenmune 3 and FF7: Remake are being released but all fanboys care about is friggin Uncharted.
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 23:20
    Lead-Magnet_421 said:Its a damn shame that Shenmune 3 and FF7: Remake are being released but all fanboys care about is friggin Uncharted.I was hoping that NieR would have gotten a higher % of votes cry
  • Posted on 23 November 15 at 23:43, Edited on 24 November 15 at 00:18 by NUKEDUKEZM
    Lead-Magnet_421 said:Its a damn shame that Shenmune 3 and FF7: Remake are being released but all fanboys care about is friggin Uncharted.You say that about Uncharted, but the only reason Shenmue is going to exist is due to its fanbase and the only reason FF7 is being remade is, again, due to it's fanbase.
    Press X to Jason
  • Harris59Harris591,196,912
    Posted on 24 November 15 at 03:06
    Lead-Magnet_421 said:Its a damn shame that Shenmune 3 and FF7: Remake are being released but all fanboys care about is friggin Uncharted.I think it's a damn shame that FF7 is also what people care about... It's just a much prettier FF7, the game that everyone already knows inside out.

But hey, can't change what other people think, if people want to get excited for games like Uncharted 4 and FF7 Remake it's up to them, it doesn't change the games I'm excited for and as long as people are excited for SOMETHING then it's good enough xD
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads