TrueTrophies Polls

Forum for our TrueTrophies Polls

Have you ever played a game that was so bad, you actually found it enjoyable?

• Posted on 12 October 15 at 16:11
    Last week we asked if the box art for a game has influence on your decision to purchase a game, A whopping 56.9% of you voted 'Never', much higher than we were expecting it to be, with 18.5% voting 'Rarely'.

This week, we want to know about those "so good they are bad" games. It is a strange thing that, whether it be a good or a movie, we can watch or play something so bad that it becomes enjoyable. Have you ever encountered this? If so what games have you experienced it with?
    Poll: Have you ever played a game that was so bad, you actually found it enjoyable?
    • 60.3% - Yes
    • 39.7% - No

We had 184 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • AhayzoAhayzo66,955
    Posted on 12 October 15 at 17:22
    Deadpool. The only game where, if it were an actual good game, I would have been disappointed.
  • Posted on 12 October 15 at 17:26, Edited on 12 October 15 at 17:27 by Prem-aka-Prince
    For me, probably no. I checked my entire trophy list to try and find exception (I also play Nintendo and Microsoft, but more than 1/3 is a fair enough sample size to be representative though not exhaustive), but I couldn't find any.
    I mean there are plenty of examples of games thought to be bad which I actually enjoyed, e.g. FFXIII, Playstation Home, Linger in Shadows, Ratchet & Clank FFA, Sorcery) but those are all examples of games that are not actually bad, and there's an important difference.

There are plenty of examples of games with minimalistic design which might also be considered bad (due to seeming too simple or even lazy), like Noby Noby Boy, Doki Doki Universe, Voodoo Dice, Thomas Was Alone, Datura, or Linger in Shadows (again), but again, these games are excluded due to being not actually bad.

Then there are examples of the few games I might dare to call actually bad (on a bad day) such as Simpsons Arcade, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Explodemon, Malicious... but though I didn't enjoy any of these games, the more I got to know them the more I realised they're not so bad (well, maybe Explodemon). But whether they're bad or not I didn't really enjoy them so long as I thought they were bad: if I think they are good then it is in concession that I did to some extent enjoy them, which then strikes them from being an example anyway, so it seems like a self-destructive paradox to me.

I can theoretically imagine that it's possible for such a game to exist... after all I can watch funny videos on youtube of Goat sim, but everyone I've spoken to about the game has hated it, so it leads me to believe that it is not actually enjoyable in any meaningful way (like you might get some laughs out of playing catch with knives, but you wouldn't sanely call it enjoyable, because you just know it's bad).

The bottom line is: if you actually enjoyed it, surely it wasn't so bad?
    =Semper Fi=
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 October 15 at 19:20
    Most recently: Until Dawn. I hated the characters but I do so very much love to hate them...

I thought Octodad was so bad it's awesome, but that was the intention with that game.

The Saboteur would be another straight example for me. It's definitely so bad it's good, a poor man's GTA in occupied Paris. I hated Luc with a passion.

"Leuk out, Zjean. Ve hav to take care of ze Nezies!"
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Posted on 12 October 15 at 21:05
    Dead or Alive Extreme 2!
  • Slayer1189Slayer11892,172,350
    Posted on 12 October 15 at 21:45
    Answered No.

I get the concept when it comes to a movie, where the acting is so bad it makes it funnier than it intends to be, but I don't think that translates well into gaming. Most of the time if a game is badly designed across the board IMO, I find it to be an unenjoyable game.

If it has something bad such as voice acting, I can easily overlook that if the rest of the game is good. Then I would say it's a good game with bad voice acting.

I would agree that just like movies, voice acting can be so bad it's good (e.g. Resident Evil, Trouble Witches Neo)

I looked at all of my games rated 3.5 stars or higher (so decent to amazing) on both TA and TT and couldn't find an example.

Like Prem said, I have enjoyed games that many consider bad, much as I have disliked or was meh about games many consider to be great, but in all cases IMO I enjoyed games I thought were good and didn't enjoy games I thought were bad.

That being said, I've always been able to see faults in games I like but I can overlook, much as I can often see why people might like a game i'm not too bothered about more than I am.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 October 15 at 22:03
    I've never played one that I've ended up enjoying so I had to put no, but I've watched (on YouTube) people playing awful games and enjoyed watching them do it. Most recently was Inside Gaming playing Ride to Hell: Retribution. The game was sooooooo bad that watching it bug out had me in hysterics at times.
    You can't fix stupid if it don't broke!
  • ShonicTHShonicTH583,314
    Posted on 12 October 15 at 22:38
    Don't know if I'd consider it "enjoyable", but Sonic 06's bugs have given me a laugh or two.
  • Harris59Harris591,196,223
    Posted on 12 October 15 at 22:40
    Prem-aka-Prince said:The bottom line is: if you actually enjoyed it, surely it wasn't so bad?That's kinda not the point of the question from what I gather, the whole 'so bad it's good' idea is that you're enjoying it because you're laughing at it, not with it. You're enjoying it because it's so bad that it gives you a chuckle. As opposed to enjoying games that are just objectively 'bad'. At least that's what the title and description suggests.

Examples of this would be games that are so buggy and broken that you can sit and laugh at the stuff that messes up, or AI that's so dumb and exploitable that you'll get a chuckle out of that, or maybe really poor dialogue that just hits your funny bone.

This is a hard one for me because I don't tend to get bad games, like sure some are objectively bad but I enjoyed them personally so I wouldn't consider those bad games... and when I do play a bad game usually just want to stop playing immediately and don't really get much out of breaking them for parody purposes.

I suppose Beyblade on PS1 could be considered one for this list because of 1) The dumb dialogue which you can laugh at and 2) The many ways in which you can just break the game entirely, but this is very short lived.

Also perhaps the 2 Crazy Frog Racer games on PS2 because it's like, really... REALLY... You actually decided to make... THIS!? It's really bad and really easy to exploit, and it has so many random characters that have nothing to do with the Crazy Frog at all as the main playable cast xD.

Oh... and Sonic Boom, need I say more, the game is so broken you can just try and fly around and stuff...

Those are the only 3 I think you could get some fun out of the 'so bad it's good' scenario, otherwise, I just don't touch the bad games.
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 08:55
    Rogue Warrior for me. Even the multiplayer boosting was fun, because everyone hated it. Mickey Rourke's dialogue.....Oh man, i was laughing all the way through.
  • OjotangoOjotango57,627
    Posted on 13 October 15 at 10:00
    Nope. I've played bad games that were almost good - if given a bit more time or thought into production, and I've played games that had bad sections, but were ultimately good games, but I have never played a bad game that I enjoyed.

I have certainly enjoyed games that other people thought were bad, but not that I found bad myself.
    So much for pathos...
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 19:39
    Playing goat simulator right now totally hooked.
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 23:54
    Magus
  • RhinoVanDamRhinoVanDam923,940
    Posted on 14 October 15 at 00:49
    My horse & me 2, Hannah Montana game come to mind.
  • daemont101daemont1011,525,810
    Posted on 14 October 15 at 12:31
    Deadly Premonitions, isn't that right Zach?
  • Posted on 14 October 15 at 13:10, Edited on 14 October 15 at 14:33 by MitchCRafT_nM3
    Mirraj_Gaming said:MagusLOL this game seems to be popping up everywhere i look recently, i have not played it though and i am trying to think out of my 30+ years of gaming of a game i found so bad that i laughed at it because that's the only way i would find something bad to be good in the context of the question being asked. If it was intentionally bad to be funny then i wouldn't pick that but if they actually were trying to make a genuinely good game but failed so badly and the fails were bad in a way that they were funny then yes that i would consider a game so bad i enjoyed it because of the laughter i got from it but 30+ years of gaming and i can't think of one. I am sure there will have been but i just can't remember at this precise moment and this is after just buying Goat Simulator last week but i think they made it exactly the way they wanted it to be perceived by everyone and honestly i did not look at it and think the game was bad, i just played it enjoying it exactly for what it wassmile

The only thing i can think of that has made me laugh were bugs in Assassin Creed Unity but i did not play it, 2 Assassin Creed games were enough for me but i can't actually count that as a game i personally played but i did find the numerous videos of the mangled face bug extremely amusing in a hilarious way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNABUo9IiHU

I also found reviews such as the Angry Joe review of Ride to hell Retribution hilarious and i may buy that game for £1 one day because i honestly think i would enjoy that as a game to lmao at because the voice acting and script writing just of what i have seen alone had me ROFLMAO when i watched the Angry Joe review.

Angry Review :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HTKWX15oo

"This uns like a skinny little old baby cow, aint he?" Has to be the best "worst" script writing to make people laugh at unintentionally in any recent game laugh Oh and the voice acting HA HA HA!!!! Brilliant! https://youtu.be/a1HTKWX15oo?t=7m45s
    & https://youtu.be/a1HTKWX15oo?t=10m34s
    Those 2 scenes still crack me up seeing them again just now laugh

So yeah none that i have played that i can think of but 2 things that were certainly bad that made me laugh when watching them. laugh
    IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 14 October 15 at 15:11, Edited on 14 October 15 at 15:12 by
    I've played a few that other people thought were stinky but i enjoyed. Thief was one... that got a slating but i thought there were many far worse games out there.
    Apparently now i can add The Saboteur to the list. Mr Horrible... so wrong sir! OK, the accents were terrible but the game rocked!
    Did you notice the guy who did the dreadful Irish accent in The Saboteur actually got the job of doing the exact same awful Irish accent in Dragon Age Inquisition too?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 14 October 15 at 18:22
    RestlessPilgrim said:Apparently now i can add The Saboteur to the list. Mr Horrible... so wrong sir! OK, the accents were terrible but the game rocked!
    Did you notice the guy who did the dreadful Irish accent in The Saboteur actually got the job of doing the exact same awful Irish accent in Dragon Age Inquisition too?
    I singled out the accents but honestly there was more wrong to the game than that. I could try to write a whole page about it but to keep it short: just about everything in the game felt a bit unpolished to me. It was pretty decent but it could've been much better if they just took a bit more time.

I agree with you that the game was fun but for me it was definitely in a "so bad it's good" kinda way, though it helped that it was in one of my favourite genres. The bad accents, the bad lip synchs (seriously, check out Luc's bullfrog mouth), the overly clichéd story...

And no I did not notice, though I did not play that much of Inquisition yet. I'll check it out when I continue on that one.
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Posted on 14 October 15 at 22:50
    Ride to Hell Retribution was the best worst game I have ever played. It is so bad it is actually funny. I have great respect for the developers though because despite how bad it was all the achievements unlocked properly and some AAA games still seem to have a problem with that. Despite its awful graphics, gameplay, and bizarre sex scenes I had a lot more fun playing it than some other games.
  • Rick_NyaRick_Nya1,459,089
    Posted on 15 October 15 at 11:18
    Voted no, because the bad games I played I did not enjoy at all.
    But there are two games that I absolutelly love and everyone else thinks they are bad, really bad.
    They are G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra and Duke Nukem Forever.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads