Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Shovel Knight Retail Edition Delayed

• Linkx41Linkx4152,454
    Posted on 12 October 15 at 02:35
    $29.99 CDN, that is twice the price of digital!!! I'm glad I only shop in the $20 or less bin now. Greedy assholes...
    The King of Hyrule
  • Posted on 12 October 15 at 05:26
    I've been holding off getting this until the retail and I was going to pick up the retail copy for potential trade in, but at also being Canadian & our increased prices, I'm going digital for this one.
  • Posted on 12 October 15 at 09:27
    Linkx41 said:$29.99 CDN, that is twice the price of digital!!! I'm glad I only shop in the $20 or less bin now. Greedy assholes...They're not being greedy, actually. From what I read they were essentially made to increase the price by their publishers because of the way godforsaken corporate America works. This image, which they used in their original update, pretty much sums it up: http://yachtclubgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ba....png
    If you're interested read the original article, it's not long but it does an earnest job of explaining themselves, which is quite rare from devs these days: http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/10/retail-update/

1) The delay is due to the desire to include the DLC in the disc version, so blame the late DLC, not poor management
    2) The price increase was for marketing reasons (yes an economy is truly broken when a regular good sells better when made more expensive, "biggest economy in the world" my ass), should be limited to USA only, but could affect Canada too (I don't know how their retail market works, but as I recall their shopping environment is culturally very similar), but should not affect rest of world.
    3) The price increase is counter-balanced to some extent by now giving away the digital soundtrack for free- it's not worth much per se but since they're already putting the DLC in, there's not much else they can give you as consolation.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 12 October 15 at 13:06
    This post is contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 16:35
    Prem-aka-Prince said:yes an economy is truly broken when a regular good sells better when made more expensive, "biggest economy in the world" my assThat's a bit exaggerated. It selling better may be indirectly affected by being more expensive, but it's not the cost itself that sells. It's the fact that cheaper products are seen as lesser products, and get displayed as such (the infamous "bargain bin"). Products don't sell because they are more expensive, they sell because they are displayed better and are made to look like they are worth buying. Cost may play a part in whether a retailer decides to display them well, but it isn't what actually causes the sales.
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 17:33, Edited on 13 October 15 at 17:37 by Prem-aka-Prince
    alklein92201 said:Prem-aka-Prince said:yes an economy is truly broken when a regular good sells better when made more expensive......cheaper products are seen as lesser products...
    ...Cost may play a part in whether a retailer decides to display them well, but it isn't what actually causes the sales.
    The first part: you don't see this as a false economy? If people won't buy the cheaper options, they must be buying the more expensive options instead, so people end up spending more because of this.

For the second part: Maybe the retailer is to blame, but it's still a disaster situation. The idea that the exact same good is going to sell better because it's priced up (if it's displayed better because of that, it's still because of that) is the underlying problem: for all the ignorant consumers out there who don't know the true value of the good, it just incentivises retailers to up-price things out of the bargain bin ... I can't imagine a lot of worse retailer abuses than jacking up the price purely for retail margins. They can take the price increase purely as additional profit margin, because it's pretty doubtful they're going back to the producer and saying 'oh hey we managed to gouge more for your product, here's your cut of the extra'.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 18:16
    Prem-aka-Prince said:The first part: you don't see this as a false economy? If people won't buy the cheaper options, they must be buying the more expensive options instead, so people end up spending more because of this.What I'm saying is that your first post, to me, sounds like you think people are actually seeing the price and deciding more expensive is better. If that's not what you were going for, then OK. If it was, my point is that flashier, more important looking displays are goin to attract more attention and buyers than a mix and match bin labeled simply as "$20 and below". It's not the price, it's the display. If Gamestop starting displaying $15-20 games like they do everything else, and instead had a box with a bunch of randomly thrown in games labeled "$45 and up", I can almost guarantee the cheaper games will sell more.

Presentation is important. That's human nature.
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 18:41
    alklein92201 said:...sounds like you think people are actually seeing the price and deciding more expensive is better.
    ...my point is that flashier, more important looking displays are goin to attract more attention and buyers than a mix and match bin labeled simply as "$20 and below". It's not the price, it's the display.

If Gamestop starting displaying $15-20 games like they do everything else, and instead had a box with a bunch of randomly thrown in games labeled "$45 and up", I can almost guarantee the cheaper games will sell more.

Presentation is important. That's human nature.
    Sort of. I mean the notion offends me. You touched upon it yourself with "cheaper products are seen as lesser products", which inversely suggests they think more expensive is better.

Yeah, I get that flashier displays attract attention, but if they're only going on the displays because of the price then the root cause is the same.

Ha, I would like to see that. Because people should probably stop buying so many "$45 and up" games unless they're specifically looking for them. They're rarely worth all the hype, they're too often concealing extra DLC charges once you go home, and can you imagine how much more we could get spending the same amounts on games a third of the price.

Maybe presentation is important to the average mooks who like the pockets of the scandalously overpriced physical games stores, but the last TT poll showed 57% of people saying covers "never" affected their purchasing decision (and obviously that's more than all the other three options combined), which suggests to me that informed people like the users of this site wouldn't be swayed by which shelf the game goes on, especially if they're going into the shop for specific games...
    but that's just me getting carried away
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 19:32
    Presentation isn't quite the same as the cover poll though. Think about it. If your average person walks into a store and sees a huge poster for Call of Battlefield 74: Kratos' Fortune, they're more likely to whip out a smartphone and look up info on that game then some random one tossed in the bargain bin. When it comes to buying a game, presentation may not be considered, but when it comes to looking into a game more, I'm pretty sure that affects the vast majority of customers at least subconsciously. Usually there is a reason for a game being in the bargain bin. It wasn't good, it's old and doesn't have the latest features, etc. There's a lot of reasons games drop in price. This is the first time I've actually seen it be a problem, because a popular new release would be thrown in there, instead of where any new game should be -- displayed in the same place as everything else.
  • Posted on 13 October 15 at 21:38
    alklein92201 said:...Usually there is a reason for a game being in the bargain bin. It wasn't good, it's old and doesn't have the latest features, etc. There's a lot of reasons games drop in price.
    This is the first time I've actually seen it be a problem, because a popular new release would be thrown in there, instead of where any new game should be -- displayed in the same place as everything else.
    ...but, unless it's last year's FIFA or the Aliens: Colonial Marines everyone realised they didn't want, is any reason for a price drop any good reason not to buy it? Surely it's a simple logical conclusion that if you can get good things for cheaper you win? All other things being equal, if we saw a price-drop banner in Milk and Bread isle, would a rational person then go seek Soy and Pita instead? o.O

I don't think you're mad, but I think it's mad that we're even debating this!
    Retailer policies are causing a clear detriment to the consumers! (As if they weren't already doing that in so many other ways!)
    It's just wrong, ideologically, morally, economically.
    I agree with your conclusion though, but it just exemplifies my point: some seriously stupid nationwide (i.e. the big chains) policies has screwed up the pricing for this game, so anyone who blames Yacht Club Games instead of the American retail environment is, dare I say it, part of the problem. Capitalism, ho!

...unless, of course, these guys at Yacht Club Games secretly do all have Yachts, and this kind of Patsy is exactly how they got their money wink
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 14 October 15 at 14:04
    Prem-aka-Prince said:alklein92201 said:...Usually there is a reason for a game being in the bargain bin. It wasn't good, it's old and doesn't have the latest features, etc. There's a lot of reasons games drop in price.
    This is the first time I've actually seen it be a problem, because a popular new release would be thrown in there, instead of where any new game should be -- displayed in the same place as everything else.
    ...but, unless it's last year's FIFA or the Aliens: Colonial Marines everyone realised they didn't want, is any reason for a price drop any good reason not to buy it? Surely it's a simple logical conclusion that if you can get good things for cheaper you win? All other things being equal, if we saw a price-drop banner in Milk and Bread isle, would a rational person then go seek Soy and Pita instead? o.O

I don't think you're mad, but I think it's mad that we're even debating this!
    Retailer policies are causing a clear detriment to the consumers! (As if they weren't already doing that in so many other ways!)
    It's just wrong, ideologically, morally, economically.
    I agree with your conclusion though, but it just exemplifies my point: some seriously stupid nationwide (i.e. the big chains) policies has screwed up the pricing for this game, so anyone who blames Yacht Club Games instead of the American retail environment is, dare I say it, part of the problem. Capitalism, ho!
    Oh I'm definitely not saying it's not a problem. I wish the whole idea of a Bargain Bin didn't exist, at least in its current state. It's definitely the retailers, not YCG.

As for the Milk / Bread example, I say no, because no one rational ever buys soy, period.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.