Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TT Review - Shovel Knight

• MonkeyBrad91MonkeyBrad91474,044
    Posted on 30 April 15 at 18:09
    I had to open this article just to commend you for the Shovelry pun. Brilliant.
  • TrueTrophyTrueTrophy11,249
    Posted on 30 April 15 at 18:28
    Very tempted to pick this up
    Have you synced your trophies with psn?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 April 15 at 22:37
    I kinda had enough of the games using 8bit to hide they can't code decent graphics. it's been done to hell and back, can't call this retro anymore.
    "I'm Batman." - Batman
  • Harris59Harris59962,981
    Posted on 30 April 15 at 23:15, Edited on 30 April 15 at 23:20 by Harris59
    I love how this is a breath of fresh air to the dwindling and stale platformer genre, and most importantly a retro-style game that doesn't just rely on nostalgia but is a good game in its own right.

BillyHorrible said:I kinda had enough of the games using 8bit to hide they can't code decent graphics. it's been done to hell and back, can't call this retro anymore.This comment clearly shows ignorance to the development process, just because it resembles a retro style doesn't mean it's somehow "easier" than having let say, a paintbrush style 2D game or 3D models in a 2D plane. Now yes, a lot of bad indie developers abuse the "pixels" style to try and get attention from the nostalgia crowd but that is irrelevant and yes it annoys me too, especially when they don't even look retro, just fat pixels (Home I'm looking square at you!)

TrueTrophy said:Very tempted to pick this upYou should do, it's a very solid game.
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 April 15 at 23:19
    Harris59 said:I love how this is a breath of fresh air to the dwindling and stale platformer genre, and most importantly a retro-style game that doesn't just rely on nostalgia but is a good game in its own right.

BillyHorrible said:I kinda had enough of the games using 8bit to hide they can't code decent graphics. it's been done to hell and back, can't call this retro anymore.This comment clearly shows ignorance to the development process, just because it resembles a retro style doesn't mean it's somehow "easier" than having let say, a paintbrush style 2D game or 3D models in a 2D plane. Now yes, a lot of bad indie developers abuse the "pixels" style to try and get attention from the nostalgia crowd but that is irrelevant and yes it annoys me too, especially when they don't even look retro, just fat pixels (Home I'm looking square at you!)
    The ugliest I've seen yet is Monaco. And yes it's not necessarily easier (which is why I called on the other ways of actually making it easy to get good graphics), nowadays it's just a lazy excuse of bad programming.
    "I'm Batman." - Batman
    Posted on 30 April 15 at 23:23
    Do I dare Google Monaco? I think I'll keep my eyes in good condition for now ;)

And I don't see why you're connecting it to a "lazy excuse of bad programming", like maybe that connection applies to some of the games you've played? But I don't see it and I've seen a lot of indies from both inside and outside of the development process :/
    We all serve one master, one king... And his name, is gaming, forever may he reign!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 30 April 15 at 23:50
    Harris59 said:Do I dare Google Monaco? I think I'll keep my eyes in good condition for now ;)

And I don't see why you're connecting it to a "lazy excuse of bad programming", like maybe that connection applies to some of the games you've played? But I don't see it and I've seen a lot of indies from both inside and outside of the development process :/
    I'm talking about programmers who can't keep up with current gen graphics so they just aim for a retro look since they know they're able to program like that, instead of thinking up something new or unique like the Dust paint jobs.
    "I'm Batman." - Batman
  • Posted on 01 May 15 at 07:40
    How're the Trophies in this one?
    Posted on 01 May 15 at 18:46
    dontVanek said:How're the Trophies in this one?I haven't played it on PS4 but I know the game and I've seen the trophies, it's easy and varied (not just boring "complete this level" "kill x enemies" type things), you may have trouble with the speedrun if you're not usually a speedrunner but a streamer I watch casually did a speedrun of the game and managed around 1 hour (forgot if he went sub 1 hour) so it's manageable by even those "lesser" skilled speedrunners.
  • Posted on 01 May 15 at 23:41, Edited on 01 May 15 at 23:44 by RudeManShushing
    BillyHorrible said:Harris59 said:Do I dare Google Monaco? I think I'll keep my eyes in good condition for now ;)

I'm talking about programmers who can't keep up with current gen graphics so they just aim for a retro look since they know they're able to program like that, instead of thinking up something new or unique like the Dust paint jobs.
    Some of us like the retro style. Besides, not everyone has the artistic ability to do something like Dust.

I probably will wait for Shovel Knight to go on sale. Definitely want to play it though.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 May 15 at 07:17
    The_Unbranched said:BillyHorrible said:Harris59 said:Do I dare Google Monaco? I think I'll keep my eyes in good condition for now ;)

Some of us like the retro style. Besides, not everyone has the artistic ability to do something like Dust.
    True. It's just my opinion here. I'm using Dust as an example since it has so few people who worked on it, and an excuse I hear a lot for the 8bit programmers is that they don't have a lot of people so they have to improvise.
    #TurnOffTrophyNotifications
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 May 15 at 10:05
    Looks good and I must say loving the new layout of the tt reviews now
  • RhinoVanDamRhinoVanDam435,390
    Posted on 07 May 15 at 01:10
    Such an amazing game, and to the person who said about 8 bit being easy, you clearly don't understand pixel art, and that the nes would've exploded trying to Handle a game live shovel knight.

Also good review mate.
  • Posted on 07 May 15 at 07:44
    I have enough to play at the moment (P:CARS should arrive tomorrow too) but I'll most propably pick this up some time.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.