Playstation Help

Do you have a problem with your Playstation devices? Post it in here, and someone might be able to help you. Also always make sure to check your regional Playstation website, such as us.playstation.com

PS4 becomes unresponsive when left idle for a long time

• Posted on 10 April 15 at 10:41
    So ive got many, many games to download on my PS4 so I do like I do with my One and leave it on overnight. The PS4 has all the auto shut off settings set to off but when I wake up in the morning the PS4 is on (White light) however the controller has disconnected and when I try to power it on with cn_guide the controller lights just flash for a b it and nothing happens. If I then also try ejecting disc or turning the power off neither buttons on the console do anything.

So whats up with it?
    Find me more often on TA but ill be here, you've been warned :D
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET577,112
    Posted on 10 April 15 at 14:42
    If it started recently, the 2.50 firmware is probably to blame.
    Remember to give credit to the person who got you to join the site!
  • Posted on 10 April 15 at 15:48
    Last 2 days are the most recent time ive played it so must be, guess its one of those things that'll wait for a patch.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 15 at 22:58
    Regardless of how this happened, best thing for your PS4 would be putting it on standby with downloads enabled at a moment like this.

If the controller has disconnected (you left it on overnight?) it probably has no battery left and should be recharged.

That the console buttons don't work seems weirder. Only time I encountered this was during a game freeze. Had to do a hard reboot - hold down both front buttons for a while. This can be very damaging to your memory drive though.
    "Booyah." - Jeff Winger
  • Posted on 10 April 15 at 23:48
    Notice how I mention the controller lights flash whilst it tries to connect to the unresponsive console? Not dead.

I shouldn't have to put it onto standby to keep it on though and in standby the downloads are even slower than the already slow speed (PS4s getting 0.1mb down despite everything else including the PS4 tests at 10mb and gets that speed.)

I think I may of figured out whats causing it though, when I turn off One my hdmi splitter powered by the One also shuts off so I guess the PS4 doesn't like losing hdmi output for a long period, but strange I cant do anything with it once everything else is back on.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 11 April 15 at 05:33
    Spilner1001 said:Notice how I mention the controller lights flash whilst it tries to connect to the unresponsive console? Not dead.

I shouldn't have to put it onto standby to keep it on though and in standby the downloads are even slower than the already slow speed (PS4s getting 0.1mb down despite everything else including the PS4 tests at 10mb and gets that speed.)

I think I may of figured out whats causing it though, when I turn off One my hdmi splitter powered by the One also shuts off so I guess the PS4 doesn't like losing hdmi output for a long period, but strange I cant do anything with it once everything else is back on.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    Actually the controller lighting up for a bit seemed like an argument for it being empty to me - the controller has gone empty, too empty to stay on but there's some residue energy in the battery, so it can light up but can't switch on.

Honestly though I've never tried to turn on the PS4 controller after after it went empty, but all my other battery powered things work like this (X360 controller, mp3 player, phone.. Anything with a "turned on" light really) so I figured a PS4 controller would work like this as well.

I never experienced a slow download during standby myself, though truth be told I have never tried to download a whole lot during standby.

Losing hdmi might just be the problem, though I couldn't say for sure. I remember my X360 refusing to power up if it hadn't been connected to the tv yet. I don't use splitters myself, one of the reasons I bought the tv I have now was because it had so damn many hdmi channels.
    "Booyah." - Jeff Winger
  • Posted on 11 April 15 at 10:21
    The controller flashes for minutes (I said a bit, that was misleading) but the controller is full of charge smile When its dead, its dead.
  • Posted on 11 April 15 at 18:26
    BillyHorrible said:Losing hdmi might just be the problem, though I couldn't say for sure. I remember my X360 refusing to power up if it hadn't been connected to the tv yet.I think you've resolved the core issue in the thread now but since I read everything already I just wanted to comment on this, this was pretty annoying, the thing turns on but doesn't start to actually do anything until it can feel a video output, so then you have to sit through the xbox logo and really slow boot to dash every time -_- every other console I turn it on first and then it's really ready to use by the time I turn on the controller, tv/switch AV etc
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 12 April 15 at 01:05
    Recent cnsole updates that are part of the preview program have given a significant reduction in boot time.

Dashboards loaded by the time ive said 'xbox watch hdmi' and the One's picked up the input.

Will try the standby on the PS4 tomorrow and see if it responds better.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 April 15 at 01:14
    I have no experience withe the X1 but the X360 really has horrible loading times when you boot it up.
    "Booyah." - Jeff Winger
  • Posted on 12 April 15 at 12:18
    Spilner1001 said:Recent cnsole updates that are part of the preview program have given a significant reduction in boot time.

Dashboards loaded by the time ive said 'xbox watch hdmi' and the One's picked up the input
    I was talking about the 360 here
  • Posted on 12 April 15 at 17:08
    Spilner1001 said:Recent cnsole updates that are part of the preview program have given a significant reduction in boot time.
    Dashboards loaded by the time ive said 'xbox watch hdmi' and the One's picked up the input.
    Will try the standby on the PS4 tomorrow and see if it responds better.
    Cheers good to know, I'm guessing it'll be the annual fall update for public release but I can wait, I rarely play it now anyway (it goes on more often for video on demand really).
    Hope the PS4 idea works out for you.
    =Semper Fi=
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 April 15 at 17:12
    Spilner1001 said:Spilner1001 said:Recent cnsole updates that are part of the preview program have given a significant reduction in boot time.

Dashboards loaded by the time ive said 'xbox watch hdmi' and the One's picked up the input
    I was talking about the 360 here
    I must've been confused because in the second sentence you quoted, you went on to talk about the X1.

Anyways even after the updates, my X360 still has horrible boot time.
    "Booyah." - Jeff Winger
  • Posted on 18 April 15 at 09:54
    I finally remembered to try it and the standby seemed to work ok, infact it downloaded the 50gb of data I needed which it had no chance of doing whilst ON O.o

Did notice my hdmi splitter constantly getting input from the PS4 which seemed strange for a device that was meant to be 'off'
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads