Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Microsoft grasses on Sony for being a big Activision deal meanie

• SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,274
    Posted on 25 January 23 at 14:54
    Tadg3r said:
    Richnj said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:
    I think Sony will be alright for a while...
    ...I don't think they'll shift away from that unless one misses like with Days Gone
    Days Gone wasn't really a miss, judgeing by the fact a lot of gamers are questioning why Sony moved Bend Studio on instead of giving gamers DG2, shows it wasn't as big of a failure as Sony think it was. It had it's problems like a lot of open world games do, but it wasn't poor by any stretch of the imagination.
    This practice always bothers me. The first game in pretty much every series is really rough in comparison to the sequel. Halo CE, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Killzone, etc. There's usually a lot of lessons learned on that then go on to massively improve the tech and flesh out gameplay ideas that just couldn't be realised before that first round of development.

There's also the marketing and brand recognition aspect of it. One of the biggest hurdles for new IPs is catching people's attention by being a brand they've already previously heard of. It's why so many publishers will fall over themselves for established IPs, even if cash grab/cross promotional product. More people will recognise your title the second time round because of the marketing and chatter that happened during the launch of the first game.

Second entries in franchises usually end up being the most liked, ones as a result. Honestly, pick 10 random successful franchises, and I bet you about 9 of them will have "peaks" at the second title.

I think it's always worth producing a second entry , unless what you have is something that even the devs don't want to touch again.
    I agree 100% with this. A majority of the games that I love which are part of a series of games had their best entry at 2. Days Gone 2 looking like it won’t happen is such a shame as the first was a fantastic game and Bend did a brilliant job with it. Yes it had its issues at launch but as someone else said, a lot of open world games do.
    I think it had something to do with the devs behind it to. Ghost of Tsushima (Sukerpunch) already had a massive Playstation franchise behind them. Syphon Filter was really only remembered by an certain age group until the classic catalogue came about. Bend didn't really do a lot other than spin offs on Uncharted etc.

I agree with you both that the second tends to be the highlight of a lot of major franchises. I can only think of two where the second was worse off the top of my head. Dead Space and Dragon Age.

But I enjoyed ones like Prototype 2, Mafia II, Gears of War 2, Halo 2, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead 2.
    "Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance" - Sun Tzu. Yes, I'm back reading the classical stuff.
  • ItsKristaItsKrista534,349
    Posted on 25 January 23 at 22:01
    SolaceCreed said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Richnj said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:
    ...I don't think they'll shift away from that unless one misses like with Days Gone
    Days Gone wasn't really a miss, judgeing by the fact a lot of gamers are questioning why Sony moved Bend Studio on instead of giving gamers DG2, shows it wasn't as big of a failure as Sony think it was. It had it's problems like a lot of open world games do, but it wasn't poor by any stretch of the imagination.
    This practice always bothers me. The first game in pretty much every series is really rough in comparison to the sequel. Halo CE, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Killzone, etc. There's usually a lot of lessons learned on that then go on to massively improve the tech and flesh out gameplay ideas that just couldn't be realised before that first round of development.

There's also the marketing and brand recognition aspect of it. One of the biggest hurdles for new IPs is catching people's attention by being a brand they've already previously heard of. It's why so many publishers will fall over themselves for established IPs, even if cash grab/cross promotional product. More people will recognise your title the second time round because of the marketing and chatter that happened during the launch of the first game.

Second entries in franchises usually end up being the most liked, ones as a result. Honestly, pick 10 random successful franchises, and I bet you about 9 of them will have "peaks" at the second title.

I think it's always worth producing a second entry , unless what you have is something that even the devs don't want to touch again.
    I agree 100% with this. A majority of the games that I love which are part of a series of games had their best entry at 2. Days Gone 2 looking like it won’t happen is such a shame as the first was a fantastic game and Bend did a brilliant job with it. Yes it had its issues at launch but as someone else said, a lot of open world games do.
    I think it had something to do with the devs behind it to. Ghost of Tsushima (Sukerpunch) already had a massive Playstation franchise behind them. Syphon Filter was really only remembered by an certain age group until the classic catalogue came about. Bend didn't really do a lot other than spin offs on Uncharted etc.

I agree with you both that the second tends to be the highlight of a lot of major franchises. I can only think of two where the second was worse off the top of my head. Dead Space and Dragon Age.

But I enjoyed ones like Prototype 2, Mafia II, Gears of War 2, Halo 2, Saints Row 2, Left 4 Dead 2.
    I’ve been frustrated with this too for a long time. Even though Days Gone would have been deemed a success by most studios it’s clear that Sony thought it was a failure so almost shut up shop on Sony Bend.

I wish so many games got a second chance. Like Ryse Son of Rome, the Order 1886, Alien Isolation and so many others. While they are debatably 7/10s to 8/10a because they missed the mark critically they were one and done. If they all got a second chance to refine what worked and want didn’t we’d potentially have some awesome franchises. It’s just frustrating that the industry is so expensive and fragile now that you have to almost strike lightning first time or else.
    What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey.
    Posted on 25 January 23 at 22:12
    ItsKrista said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Richnj said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:

I’ve been frustrated with this too for a long time. Even though Days Gone would have been deemed a success by most studios it’s clear that Sony thought it was a failure so almost shut up shop on Sony Bend.

I wish so many games got a second chance. Like Ryse Son of Rome, the Order 1886, Alien Isolation and so many others. While they are debatably 7/10s to 8/10a because they missed the mark critically they were one and done. If they all got a second chance to refine what worked and want didn’t we’d potentially have some awesome franchises. It’s just frustrating that the industry is so expensive and fragile now that you have to almost strike lightning first time or else.
    Ryse was an exceptional game considering it was basically just a tech demo. MS could have done so much more with that IP.
    The Order was also a tech demo that could have been into something amazing. If MS made a Ryse 2 of some description, I'd get an Series S just to play it. I'm not ashamed to admit that.
    "Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance" - Sun Tzu. Yes, I'm back reading the classical stuff.
  • Amlof1Amlof141,440
    Posted on 26 January 23 at 02:12
    I can't take this site seriously when the article title looks like a 14 year old came up with the name
  • Posted on 26 January 23 at 08:20
    Microsoft are such an embarrassment I swear.
  • Tadg3rTadg3r62,596
    Posted on 26 January 23 at 21:40
    Amlof1 said:
    I can't take this site seriously when the article title looks like a 14 year old came up with the name
    Yeah agreed, the headline of this article 100% gives off that childish schoolyard attitude and is equally reflected in the content of it too.

Articles like this just make the site seem overly biased and immature. Almost promotes the damn fanboyism. I understand it’s a Trophy website and so will obviously lean in Sony’s favour but come on now, hold yourself to a higher standard of etiquette.
  • KGI_KlikoNLKGI_KlikoNL131,127
    Posted on 27 January 23 at 07:40
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:
    Yeah agreed, the headline of this article 100% gives off that childish schoolyard attitude and is equally reflected in the content of it too.

Articles like this just make the site seem overly biased and immature. Almost promotes the damn fanboyism. I understand it’s a Trophy website and so will obviously lean in Sony’s favour but come on now, hold yourself to a higher standard of etiquette.
    Your comment also shows fanboyism.
    I'm not Green, I'm not Blue. I'm Cyan.
    Posted on 27 January 23 at 07:56
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Richnj said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:

Ryse was an exceptional game considering it was basically just a tech demo. MS could have done so much more with that IP.
    Only thing is, Microsoft does not own the IP. It is still owned by Crytek. Crytek wanted a Ryse 2 and Microsoft only wanted to help them out, if they sold the IP to Microsoft and Crytek refused that.
    Posted on 27 January 23 at 10:25
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Richnj said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    ItsKrista said:

Only thing is, Microsoft does not own the IP. It is still owned by Crytek. Crytek wanted a Ryse 2 and Microsoft only wanted to help them out, if they sold the IP to Microsoft and Crytek refused that.
    I'm just saying if MS went for Ryse 2, I'd get the machine to play it. It was that good, the second games in series are normally much better.
  • Posted on 27 January 23 at 12:17
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

They are an Xbox fanboy that wants Microsoft to buy every publisher to keep them from Sony, just block and ignore lol.
  • Tadg3rTadg3r62,596
    Posted on 27 January 23 at 15:32, Edited on 28 January 23 at 21:50 by Tadg3r
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

They are an Xbox fanboy that wants Microsoft to buy every publisher to keep them from Sony, just block and ignore lol.
    Hey I’ll admit I’m a fan of xbox more than PlayStation, however I would have called out an article as childish as this the other way round too.

You cannot honestly say this article is well written piece of gaming journalism? I can accept biased opinions as I stated, but not when delivered in such an embarrassing way. It paints the community in a bad way. And people agreeing with it makes matters even worse 🤦🏻‍♂️.
    Posted on 30 January 23 at 16:18
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

Hey I’ll admit I’m a fan of xbox more than PlayStation, however I would have called out an article as childish as this the other way round too.

You cannot honestly say this article is well written piece of gaming journalism? I can accept biased opinions as I stated, but not when delivered in such an embarrassing way. It paints the community in a bad way. And people agreeing with it makes matters even worse 🤦🏻‍♂️.
    They are volunteers, not journalists. If you can do it better, then volunteer at Rich. But there is already way more news on this site then there was 2 years ago.
  • Posted on 30 January 23 at 18:04
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

They are volunteers, not journalists. If you can do it better, then volunteer at Rich. But there is already way more news on this site then there was 2 years ago.
    So every article can be swooning over Spencer or how Microsoft are the most generous loving company ever? No thanks.
    Posted on 30 January 23 at 18:35
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

So every article can be swooning over Spencer or how Microsoft are the most generous loving company ever? No thanks.
    I think you've intentionally skipped over the point he said he'd call it out if it was them swooning over MS too. It was the tone he had a problem with, not the content.
  • Posted on 30 January 23 at 18:40
    SolaceCreed said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

I think you've intentionally skipped over the point he said he'd call it out if it was them swooning over MS too. It was the tone he had a problem with, not the content.
    Oh I didn't miss it, I just don't believe a word of it.
    Posted on 31 January 23 at 13:51
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

What are you rambling about? Guess you quoted the wrong person, as I'm not the one who made a comment, about that the news on this site is too much pro-Playstation.
  • Tadg3rTadg3r62,596
    Posted on 31 January 23 at 15:32
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

What are you rambling about? Guess you quoted the wrong person, as I'm not the one who made a comment, about that the news on this site is too much pro-Playstation.
    Twilight was talking about me, seems to be under the impression I would be as biased as suggested. As I stated I don’t mind bias in articles, it’s to be expected on TT for PlayStation and on TA for Xbox. I just have a problem with very purely constructed articles that border on childish. Or in this case, step way too far into childish. Most the articles on the site are fab and I love reading them, but this one just felt a little pathetic tbh.
  • Posted on 31 January 23 at 20:30
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

No, I was mocking the Xbox fanboy you were replying too.
  • Tadg3rTadg3r62,596
    Posted on 01 February 23 at 00:42
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    TwilightShadow22 said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    Tadg3r said:
    Amlof1 said:

No, I was mocking the Xbox fanboy you were replying too.
    Dear lord your comments about me are a like a broken record. I get it, you don’t like Xbox gamers, totally understand it. But always having a dig at me, that is also incredibly childish. Now I understand why you find the article entertaining. I think everyone here knows you don’t like me. How about we just keep those spats in the appropriate comments or even better, act like adults. If you are in fact an adult.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads