The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

November's PS Plus Lineup Today

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 November 14 at 19:00
    BillyHorrible said:
    Blast! You should post these titles when you're aware of them, that would've saved me the hassle of buying First Light!
    I can't post things that aren't set in stone because things usually tend to change last minute due to licensing issues, permissions, deals falling through, etc. Gotta wait until it's confirmed for good, then I can communicate it wink

A_Tennis_Giraffe said:
    I'll be honest and say there's not much here that really interests me again this month.
    Escape Plan for Vita might be ok though, and I may give The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth a try. But apart from that...meh.
    Seriously give Steamworld Dig a shot. It's very enjoyable.

FatSuit said:
    FYI: Luftrausers is currently impossible to 100% because of a glitch. Same with TxK (another PS+ title from a few months back).
    This is important information. Thank you for the heads up.
    You must exceed your limitations if you wish to survive. twitter.com/shadow_enz
  • Posted on 05 November 14 at 19:19
    I'm not a huge fan of this months games, but I understand they can't all be winners.
  • strifekunstrifekun146,802
    Posted on 05 November 14 at 21:22
    Well, nothing for me this month.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 05 November 14 at 21:35, Edited on 05 November 14 at 21:35 by
    I've now played more in SteamWorld Dig on the PS4 than on the 3DS (that is to say I continued for more than five minutes after the tutorial) and I can say that it's a very fun little game. I can see this begin like Angry Birds; just playing for half an hour or so and then getting back to a big long game.
    "Booyah." - Jeff Winger
  • Posted on 05 November 14 at 23:11, Edited on 05 November 14 at 23:15 by LianshiSaonji
    Not sure these will interesting me, but I'll download them anyway.
    Everything you do is a balloon.
  • Posted on 06 November 14 at 06:20
    Ok, so 3 people have told me I should give SteamWorld Dig a try shock Looks like I should download it and have a look then! The reason I wasn't going to bother with it was because I didn't think it's really a "me" genre (I'm pretty fussy about these things! Lol)

But seeing as you're all telling me to try it I definitely will at least have a go smile
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 November 14 at 08:49
    A_Tennis_Giraffe said:
    Ok, so 3 people have told me I should give SteamWorld Dig a try shock Looks like I should download it and have a look then! The reason I wasn't going to bother with it was because I didn't think it's really a "me" genre (I'm pretty fussy about these things! Lol)

But seeing as you're all telling me to try it I definitely will at least have a go smile
    It's especially fun for people who don't want to commit to something like Minecraft or Terraria. This is definitely far more casual and arcadey than that, while not being just a small "quarter-muncher-length" game.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 November 14 at 11:56
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    Am i the only person that realises these games are just graphical improvements of games that were out on the commodore 64 like 30 years ago. Really unimpressed, if i want to play these games i would set up my C64 not buy a PS4 for £350
    Yup.... totally agree!
    So far i've been almost completely unimpressed by PS+ games. Too many rehashes as you say, and far too many shooters. I bought a PS4 for cutting edge graphics not to relive ZX Spectrum memories of yesteryear. Come on Sony, stop ripping us off for a PS+ subscription, you're making me miss Arcade games on my 360! facepalm
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 06 November 14 at 17:32, Edited on 06 November 14 at 17:32 by
    Gamers that want big-budget games for free immediately or shortly after release, consistently, truly have no grasp on the nature of the industry as well as how capitalism works.

It's far easier for a small-budget indie title to be given away for a brand new console than for even a launch title game due to publishers needing to recoup publishing costs for those same titles. The cut they get from PS+ isn't enough.

Still impressed that Infamous: First Light is making it to PS+. That's just great, and a wonderful benefit of being a first party title.

Also, ZX Spectrum > Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed (post-Ezio).
  • Posted on 06 November 14 at 22:12
    Shadow_Enz said:
    Gamers that want big-budget games for free immediately or shortly after release, consistently, truly have no grasp on the nature of the industry as well as how capitalism works.
    +1...

I got a PS4 day 1 and think we've been well looked after with the free games... Some months there's been nothing thats interested me but unfortunately the world doesn't revolve around me lol The only negative I have with ps+ is the whole driveclub issue!
    Are we born not knowing or are we born knowing all, are we growing wiser or are we just growing tall
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 November 14 at 00:32
    PureVapour420 said:
    I got a PS4 day 1 and think we've been well looked after with the free games... Some months there's been nothing thats interested me but unfortunately the world doesn't revolve around me lol The only negative I have with ps+ is the whole driveclub issue!
    +1 completely.
  • Posted on 07 November 14 at 01:05
    I understand those issues but they could do better than just spicing up the gfx of game concepts that have been around for 30+ years by adding something new to them.
    IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 November 14 at 06:44
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    I understand those issues but they could do better than just spicing up the gfx of game concepts that have been around for 30+ years by adding something new to them.
    Many of these are 1-man teams, or a small handful.

Try making a game. You'll realize it's an achievement to even have a sprite display on a screen.
  • ImFunnyHowImFunnyHow38,462
    Posted on 07 November 14 at 07:21, Edited on 08 November 14 at 06:27 by ImFunnyHow
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    Am i the only person that realises these games are just graphical improvements of games that were out on the commodore 64 like 30 years ago. Really unimpressed, if i want to play these games i would set up my C64 not buy a PS4 for £350
    Do you mean to tell us you bought a PS4, but it was really for the PS+ subscription to get free games that are brand new concepts? If you've been gaming since the Commodore 64, you should know that games have evolved just like the technology they play on. Building upon preexisting concepts & architecture.

Two of the freshest games I'm told/hear about lately are;
    Shadow of Mordor, but then it is compared with Assassin's Creed and the Arkham Batman's to exhaustion.
    Sunset Overdrive, where everything I read about says it's Jet Set Radio meets Crackdown.

Do gamers say they are going to buy Sunset Overdrive, or nah I've got JSR on Dreamcast I'm going to play that again? Clearly the majority goes for the newer, as that's the path the gaming industry has taken from the start.

RestlessPilgrim said:
    Yup.... totally agree!
    So far i've been almost completely unimpressed by PS+ games. Too many rehashes as you say, and far too many shooters. I bought a PS4 for cutting edge graphics not to relive ZX Spectrum memories of yesteryear. Come on Sony, stop ripping us off for a PS+ subscription, you're making me miss Arcade games on my 360! facepalm
    You bought a PS4 for cutting edge graphics? What does that even mean? My PC I built a year prior to PS4's launch displays better graphics. *Hint* I didn't buy my PS4 for cutting edge graphics. Better than PS3 graphics? Yes, that's a part of it.

What constitutes a rehash? Does that count any of the sequels on your gamertag? Any of the new IPs? Like Watch Dogs, just another sandbox shooter. The Last of Us Remastered, a rehash of TLoU, built upon the storytelling/gameplay of Uncharted and including the extremely over used Zombie genre. Is another Zombie game, much different then the current fad/trend of 8-bit & 16-bit stylized indie games?

But wait, that's why I bought my PS4, like truthfully most of us with prior consoles did (whether we tell ourselves or not). To play the next Uncharted, the next Infamous the next sandbox game with new mechanics and ideas yet built upon many before it, the next RPG where I will spend hours levelling up same as the rest of them before it.

Let's not beat around the bush. You guys want 12mth or less AAA titles for free. Not happening aside from a couple one offs, until the PS4 library is saturated with AAA titles maybe 3 years from now. It's $50 bucks a year (I'm sure many of us on TT get the $30 Black Friday/after Christmas deals), you need it for multiplayer. If MP is not your thing, all you have to do is consider are the 24 titles/year worth $2.08 (even if you only own the PS4). Maybe whatever those titles end up are not worth it to you, but calling it, Sony is ripping you off, is plain outlandish.
    Xbox Live: Everard Cox
  • Posted on 07 November 14 at 11:13, Edited on 07 November 14 at 11:18 by MitchCRafT_nM3
    Shadow_Enz said:
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:

Try making a game. You'll realize it's an achievement to even have a sprite display on a screen.
    I have , me and a friend used to make our own little games on less powerful equipment, the amiga500
  • Posted on 07 November 14 at 11:16, Edited on 07 November 14 at 11:38 by Prem-aka-Prince
    Shadow_Enz said:
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    As much as I enjoy their work, this is not an effective argument for them. Effort does not equal output. To an end user, mitchcraft's view is not inaccurate. A five-year old child making paper maché is 'an achievement' too, but regardless of the cost to the creator there's no imparted value to the buyer; so it doesn't justify selling it and claiming "appreciate!"
    ImFunnyHow said:
    RestlessPilgrim said:
    You bought a PS4 for cutting edge graphics? What does that even mean? My PC I built a year prior to PS4's launch displays better graphics. *Hint* I didn't buy my PS4 for cutting edge graphics. Better than PS3 graphics? Yes, that's a part of it.

What constitutes a rehash? Does that count any of the sequels on your gamertag? Any of the new IPs? Like Watch Dogs, just another sandbox shooter. The Last of Us Remastered, a rehash of TLoU, built upon the storytelling/gameplay of Uncharted and including the extremely over used Zombie genre. Is another Zombie game, much different then the current fad/trend of 8-bit & 16-bit stylized indie games?

...If MP is not your thing, all you have to do is consider are the 24 titles/year worth $2.08 (even if you only own the PS4). Maybe whatever those titles end up are not worth it to you, but calling it, Sony is ripping you off, is plain outlandish.
    A fair response from you as well. On the one hand, you're right about modern consoles never being the best avenue to the latest tech. But on the other hand, I'm sure you already realise that in the context of console gaming it is of course fit for purpose as the best you can get. If you're choosing between every console available, one of the selling points of spending £200 more on the PS4 is that it's supposed to be far more powerful than everything (except the X1 which is the same price anyway). If you already have a PS3, you're talking about £400 extra with this as one of the primary selling points. And when it comes to retro games (not to be confused with indie games) the difference is virtually not there, so what do you get for your money?
    Would you apply this same conclusion in any other situation? If you only owned a PS3, would you consider buying a 360 for specific games that you could get already but they look marginally better if you spend a few hundred on new hardware?
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/321612/features/4-ps3-g...
    Bayonetta 1 on PS3 was supposedly a much inferior version than on 360, but would you spend hundreds to buy a Wii U to get original Bayonetta that looks slightly better than the one you could already get on 360? In matters of consistency of logic...

Would you be happy if next month's PS+ update consisted entirely of slightly updated 'rehash' versions of games you were already given on PS+, for example Arkham Asylum GOTY, Sound Shapes Ultimate Bundle, Escape Plan Collection, Deus Ex HR DC, Guacamelee STCE, etc etc.
    Marginal value is very small, and the fact that they come in place of what could have been something more appropriate is a fact often ignored by those who defend it. I'm not saying I resent PS+, but a balanced view must come from both sides.

While I agree that big titles from PS4 should not be expected so soon, boiling these down to $2 each does not help- aren't some of them going for about as much in sales and/or on other platforms anyway? The lack of choice in the bundle then is a disadvantage. A tin of beans may be a good buy for 50p, but a hundred for £50 is mortifying.
    I do agree though that people dramatise these things. I don't think they've been at their best lately (that the announcement of an Add-On in the third month forward pleases some people goes to show), and the way they ignore or try to make opaque excuses for their deficiencies is frustrating, but I don't think it's outright unfair.

p.s. I think you have quite badly misjudged TLoU but it is not for everyone so I'm not sure I should try to convince you to see the good in it or just let it go
    [edit for quote attribution fix as pointed out]
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 07 November 14 at 11:20, Edited on 07 November 14 at 11:50 by MitchCRafT_nM3
    ImFunnyHow said:
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    Do you mean to tell us you bought a PS4, but it was really for the PS+ subscription to get free games that are brand new concepts? If you've been gaming since the Commodore 64, you should know that games have evolved just like the technology they play on. Building upon preexisting concepts & architecture.

Two of the freshest games I'm told/hear about lately are;
    Shadow of Mordor, but then it is compared with Assassin's Creed and the Arkham Batman's to exhaustion.
    Sunset Overdrive, where everything I read about says it's Jet Set Radio meets Crackdown.

Do gamers say they are going to buy Sunset Overdrive, or nah I've got JSR on Dreamcast I'm going to play that again? Clearly the majority goes for the newer, as that's the path the gaming industry has taken from the start.

RestlessPilgrim said:
    Yup.... totally agree!

But wait, that's why I bought my PS4, like truthfully most of us with prior consoles did (whether we tell ourselves or not). To play the next Uncharted, the next Infamous the next sandbox game with new mechanics and ideas yet built upon many before it, the next RPG where I will spend hours levelling up same as the rest of them before it.

Let's not beat around the bush. You guys want 12mth or less AAA titles for free. Not happening aside from a couple one offs, until the PS4 library is saturated with AAA titles maybe 3 years from now. It's $50 bucks a year (I'm sure many of us on TT get the $30 Black Friday/after Christmas deals), you need it for multiplayer. If MP is not your thing, all you have to do is consider are the 24 titles/year worth $2.08 (even if you only own the PS4). Maybe whatever those titles end up are not worth it to you, but calling it, Sony is ripping you off, is plain outlandish.
    Please fix who said what when quoting people!, you have me saying something that i never said and are replying to the wrong person!!!

Prem-aka-Prince has answered in great detail what we are talking about and how we feel. Thanks Prem-aka-Prince. He managed to ninja me as i was replying to shadow_enz lol

Quotes fixed in my post btw.

Oh and to add, i find re-skins of games boring too, a concern of mine was that we would only see better gfx of AAA games also so this does not only apply to indie titles but to AAA games also. I really hoped for some new genre of games but guessed that when the next gen came out we would have only graphical improvements and start to see what pc gamers have had for years, more MMO which i can't complain about as i actually would like more MMO for consoles but as for games being made yearly like Assassins creed, i played 2 of them and felt bored with the 2nd and enjoyed the first. So to answer yes it applies to all genres.

Watchdogs was god damn boring, as for the reason i bought The Last Of us my PS3 was stolen and was a digital download and i loved the game so much i bought it again. Do you see any other remakes of old games mentioned twice on my tag? No because i have no interest in buying old games that i have already played that just look better.

The only time i would buy remakes other than TLOU is if i have not played them before, hence Tomb raider and AC4 are only mentioned once on my gamertag because i never played them before.
  • Posted on 07 November 14 at 11:49
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    Please fix who said what when quoting people!, you have me saying something that i never said and are replying to the wrong person!!!
    ...I really hoped for some new genre of games but guessed that when the next gen came out we would have only graphical improvements and start to see what pc gamers have had for years, more MMO which i can't complain about as i actually would like more MMO for consoles...
    I'm sure it was just an innocent mistake, as he was quoting RP quoting you and appears to have just misplaced the order while tidying. The words are not altered after all, so I just fixed my post which accidentally carried it forward.
    Now, I'm no creative genius, but I'm not sure if we will see any more new genres... combinations and alterations yes, but I don't think there's enough new left to create a whole new genre. Personally I think the only dramatically new directions can come from a hardware level, with the much maligned kinect and the altogether abandoned Move not faring so well as the Wii U's Gamepad and still-compatible MotionPlus controllers. But perhaps that is going off topic a bit too far.
    I'm not much a fan of MMOs myself, but haha, nobody expects Destiny on PS+, so I guess I have nothing to worry about xD
    =Semper Fi=
  • Posted on 07 November 14 at 11:54, Edited on 07 November 14 at 11:58 by MitchCRafT_nM3
    Prem-aka-Prince said:
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    ...I really hoped for some new genre of games but guessed that when the next gen came out we would have only graphical improvements and start to see what pc gamers have had for years, more MMO which i can't complain about as i actually would like more MMO for consoles...
    I'm sure it was just an innocent mistake, as he was quoting RP quoting you and appears to have just misplaced the order while tidying. The words are not altered after all, so I just fixed my post which accidentally carried it forward.
    Now, I'm no creative genius, but I'm not sure if we will see any more new genres... combinations and alterations yes, but I don't think there's enough new left to create a whole new genre. Personally I think the only dramatically new directions can come from a hardware level, with the much maligned kinect and the altogether abandoned Move not faring so well as the Wii U's Gamepad and still-compatible MotionPlus controllers. But perhaps that is going off topic a bit too far.
    I'm not much a fan of MMOs myself, but haha, nobody expects Destiny on PS+, so I guess I have nothing to worry about xD
    Sadly i have to agree with you, i was once however told we would see great new things with next gen, i can only imagine that that person was talking about project Morpheus though.

I think the next big step will be more VR and will move to a level where you are the game, a bit like the hollodeck on Star Trek TNG or Existenz lol but i am sure we will be long gone by then, or maybe not as they seem to be working on the idea already.

The big issue with it is that they would need to make sure you can not die in real life because your brain could interperate you as dying in that world as real. I do think that will be the future one day though.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 November 14 at 21:15, Edited on 07 November 14 at 21:16 by
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:
    Shadow_Enz said:
    MitchCRafT_nM3 said:

I have , me and a friend used to make our own little games on less powerful equipment, the amiga500
    I'm getting kind of bummed by 8bit graphics these days actually, there's just way too many "indie" developers out there thinking it's "edgy" or something. It works for Fez and Super Meat Boy; it's annoying for Monaco and countless games I won't even bother trying anymore.

By the way Enz, the small team argument doesn't work here. Dust was made by a single person and that looked awesome (and it's definitely a style of game graphics that wasn't possible twenty years ago). For me it doesn't have to be cutting edge 3D; fun 3D like Octodad or Flower and awesome 2D like Dust or Child Of Light or SteamWorld Dig or Sound Shapes or Pix The Cat or Velocity or Road Not Taken are cool too.

I've just had enough of the using 8bit as a style choice, it's been done to death. I know that's not exactly Mitch's point but it's where his opinion and mine intersect.
    "Booyah." - Jeff Winger
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.