The Debating Chamber

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

Poll: Which PlayStation Plus tier have you subscribed to?

• Posted on 25 June 22 at 08:01
    PlayStation Plus has launched across all the major territories: Asia, Japan, the Americas, the UK, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Now it is time to ask: are you an Essential, Extra, Premium/Deluxe subscriber, or not at all?

Please click here to read the full story: https://www.truetrophies.com/poll/21377/poll-playstation-plu...
    Poll: Which PlayStation Plus tier have you subscribed to?
    • 11.9% - Not subscribed at all!
    • 32.7% - PlayStation Plus Essential is my bag!
    • 13.8% - PlayStation Plus Extra is a nice middle-ground for me!
    • 41.7% - PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe gives me the high-ground!

We had 312 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • Sol76Sol7650,253
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 09:56, Edited on 25 June 22 at 09:59 by Sol76
    I just checked and I need to pay just 30€ extra for the next 7 months of premium. So that’s my choice.
    I just have a different question …
    I’ve just bought a ps5 bundle ( finally got one !!! ) but there is a psn card included for 12 months …. What am I going to do with that , it is for the “old” psn … can I redeem it on a later moment and then top up again for the higher tiers ? Do I need to redeem it asap ? Or should I wait until I am at the end of this running period. Or do I need to redeem it BEFORE I upgrade to a higher tier or is it possible to do the same as I need to do right now ( upgrade and pay the difference ) on top of my essential sub?
    I have a subscription and recurs automatically somewhere in January.
    I really like the new tiers , and the upgrade system is nice too , i just missed the information about the “left over” subscription cards , and after they mentioned that you could not add more subscription cards on top of your running sub to “stack” I am not really sure anymore what to do. I don’t want to waste that 12 month ps+ card.
    Maybe stupid questions and without a doubt a lot of answers I can find on the internet but I’d rather ask somewhere I KNOW they are experts about this subject.
  • zaylzayl250,416
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 11:24
    My opinion, I prefer to own instead of pay for a service, i can re-sell a game even though it loses value, how do i sell 2 years of ps plus premium? And probably like netflix the service will most likely go up in price 🤷🏻‍♂️ i just cant be bothered with that... i liked it when you paid for internet and then thats that... oh nope now ive got to pay for ps plus to bow access the internet im already paying for, now lets add a gameing service ontop of this... 🤦‍♂️
  • KGI_KlikoNLKGI_KlikoNL131,130
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 11:47
    None
    I'm not Green, I'm not Blue. I'm Cyan.
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 11:48, Edited on 25 June 22 at 11:52 by KGI_KlikoNL
    zayl said:
    My opinion, i liked it when you paid for internet and then thats that...
    If Sony kept doing that, their would never been a Playstation 5. Outside you not paying to acces internet, but the Sony Servers.
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 11:51
    Sol76 said:
    I just checked and I need to pay just 30€ extra for the next 7 months of premium. So that’s my choice. I just have a different question …
    I’ve just bought a ps5 bundle ( finally got one !!! ) but there is a psn card included for 12 months …. What am I going to do with that , it is for the “old” psn … can I redeem it on a later moment and then top up again for the higher tiers ? Do I need to redeem it asap ? Or should I wait until I am at the end of this running period. Or do I need to redeem it BEFORE I upgrade to a higher tier or is it possible to do the same as I need to do right now ( upgrade and pay the difference ) on top of my essential sub?
    I have a subscription and recurs automatically somewhere in January.
    I really like the new tiers , and the upgrade system is nice too , i just missed the information about the “left over” subscription cards , and after they mentioned that you could not add more subscription cards on top of your running sub to “stack” I am not really sure anymore what to do. I don’t want to waste that 12 month ps+ card.
    Maybe stupid questions and without a doubt a lot of answers I can find on the internet but I’d rather ask somewhere I KNOW they are experts about this subject.
    Often their are a date on those cards, before when it needs to be redeemed. If it is not yet that date, redeem now and if it does not work, contact Playstation Support.
  • Posted on 25 June 22 at 14:04
    zayl said:
    My opinion, I prefer to own instead of pay for a service, i can re-sell a game even though it loses value, how do i sell 2 years of ps plus premium? And probably like netflix the service will most likely go up in price 🤷🏻‍♂️ i just cant be bothered with that... i liked it when you paid for internet and then thats that... oh nope now ive got to pay for ps plus to bow access the internet im already paying for, now lets add a gameing service ontop of this... 🤦‍♂️
    I 100% agree with you on everything you said. I too prefer to purchase hard copy of games, instead of downloading them digitally. Also, I barely have enough time to play all my games, let alone having access to more than likely every single game with PS+ Premium. I am good with keeping my basic PS+ Essential
    AGNOSTICMADBALL
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,818
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 14:21
    I went for extra in the end. I wasn't planning too but I'm going to work my way through the catalogue.
    Congratulations on your platinum.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,818
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 14:27
    zayl said:
    A competitor to GP is what a lot of people were asking for and now we have it, there's still people that moan?
    The PS3's online service was worse than 360's because Live Gold paid for the server upkeep. PSPlus does pay for the server upkeep and it does its purpose. The price won't go beyond what it already is, that's the idea behind the tier system that Xbox doesn't really have.
    Netflix putting their prices up was due to falling demand and cancelled subs, they're greedy and a lot of people have cancelled to go for other services because of it.
    Extra is already £83 for a year, I doubt that'd be in Sonys interest to put the price up from £83.
    Congratulations on your platinum.
  • Posted on 25 June 22 at 17:03, Edited on 25 June 22 at 17:12 by superniceguy_2
    I already was on PS NOW until Oct, and PS+ until Jun 2023, which I bought last year or before on deals, before Spartacus was a thing, now have Premium until June 2023

I can not see myself paying £100 per year for Premium, so will either cut back to Essential or nothing, and doubt I will touch Extra/Premium again from next year. If they added the games, Returnal, Syphon Filter etc to PS NOW, I would have renewed PS NOW in Oct. If PS+ games continued to be rubbish then cancelled PS+.

Especially when the games are not as permanent as what PS NOW was. RDR2 is apparently only available for 3 months, mentioned in some article which I have not seen, but the availability is not as clear as PS NOW. When RDR2 was added to PS NOW before it was clear from when it was added it was only 3 months.

I wish it was not tiered, and you could choose to have Essential, or Extra/Premium, or all of it, and not forced to have Essential just to get Extra/Premium games. This was how it was with PS NOW and PS+. You could have PS NOW and not PS+, and did not need PS+ for online multiplayer for PS NOW games.

To play F1 2020 online multiplayer all you needed was PS NOW. I got PS NOW for just £30 in a deal during Days of Play. Games going into Premium you now need to pay £100

PS+ looked good in 2021, most of the games were day one games you would not have had, which is why I added an extra year of PS+, but the last few months have not been good. I think they were putting in day one games to test the water for day one games possibly going into Premium.

Hopefully they will do deals, but Premium does not seem to be sold at 3rd party retailers, need to buy wallet top ups and buy the subs through PSN store.

PS NOW > Game pass > PS premium.
  • rob25Prob25P842,323
    Posted on 25 June 22 at 21:22
    zayl said:
    I agree with this. With PS+s and Game Pass you also lose control over what games you choose to play and for how long etc.

Will the monthly subscriptions increase? I'm sure it will, probably once every year. The services are good value for those who can play 20 or 30 games in a month but not many people do that.

Personally, I prefer to buy the games I actually want, play them when I want, and own them on disc.
  • Posted on 26 June 22 at 01:57
    Essential, but Extra is looking pretty good.
  • donald047donald0472,471,748
    Posted on 26 June 22 at 04:07
    Premium for now but that is due to buying the PSNow deal they had going last year or whenever(?) where it was like 20 quid. Will probably drop down to lowest tier once that ends(then go by a month-month like I do with Boomerang Rentals) but until we get a clearer picture of the next couple of months it's hard to cement that.
    Donald W Forbes
  • Posted on 26 June 22 at 06:15
    Essential, the prices for the other 2 are a scam lol. 🥰
    ????????????????
  • Posted on 26 June 22 at 06:42, Edited on 26 June 22 at 06:46 by Burkiemeister
    I have tried both PS Now (12 months) and Game Pass Ultimate (30 months) and neither were for me.
    I just did not end up using them enough to justify it.
    I now realise that I prefer to own my games rather than look at a long list of games I will likely never play. Everyone is different, I appreciate that.
    So I personally will stay at the basic level and even then mostly for cloud saves and the occasional online trophies. Also the extra ‘plus discount’ when purchasing certain games - if that continues to be a thing.

Edit, oh yeah, maybe claim 2 or 3 plus games each year that I actually want to add to my collection. And then I would feel like I got decent value for my yearly sub.
  • PLATINBLAZEPLATINBLAZE369,553
    Posted on 26 June 22 at 09:02
    Essential...for now but might upgrade to Premium since it is only additional 90 bucks for my subscription.
    "A person's life is not defined by age, but by the choices they make." - Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5)
  • PXNKCATPXNKCAT332,748
    Posted on 26 June 22 at 10:25
    I’m sticking with Essential for now.
  • ChuckRage77ChuckRage77282,554
    Posted on 26 June 22 at 14:23
    I have essential until August and then I'm gone. I tried to find a PS5, I gave up and bought an Xbox Series S, and there is nothing on the horizon for PS5 that I need it. It's sad because I'm a Sony PS1 day 1 player and this is the first time that I'm out on Sony.
  • SilentJay76_SilentJay76_106,963
    Posted on 26 June 22 at 15:49
    rob25P said:
    The services are good value for those who can play 20 or 30 games in a month
    That's some interesting maths. These services cost less per month than most indie games cost... on sale. Never mind AAA.

Even if you wait 5 years before buying your games at 90% off, you're still only getting about two games for the same price.
  • Posted on 26 June 22 at 16:37, Edited on 26 June 22 at 16:59 by superniceguy_2
    SilentJay76_ said:
    rob25P said:
    The services are good value for those who can play 20 or 30 games in a month
    That's some interesting maths. These services cost less per month than most indie games cost... on sale. Never mind AAA.

Even if you wait 5 years before buying your games at 90% off, you're still only getting about two games for the same price.
    Only if you get Ultimate for 3 years on top of Gold.

The other thing to bear in mind is the DLC, with these services you mostly only get the base game, and buying complete editions is far cheaper.

GP is £7.99 per month, and if you played Witcher 3 in it, you still would have needed to pay £6+ for the DLC, and have no game when it, but you could buy the GOTY edition for £6, giving you the game and all DLC.

The same for Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th edition, just £4 for game and all DLC, Dead Rising 4 deluxe was £7. All pretty much making the base game free.

The base games are mostly worthless, and it is the DLC where they make the most money. Destiny 2 was £50 and was a PS+ game but now free, and Rocket League and Fall Guys has gone free to play.

When GP first started, I played Mad Max in it, and took 3 months and I mostly just played that from GP, costing about £15 in GP fees, it now only costs £2.99. I liked it so bought it still, even though fully completed it, but what a waste of money it was playing it in GP and stressing out about it leaving, or trying to complete it within the month without needing to renew again.

Even if the games cost the same as the paying the subs, at least you still own the games to play again years later.

Overall I find it cheaper to just buy the games and enjoy them, playing loads in these services never gives value for money or enjoyment, mostly stress overall, trying to complete before they leave.

GP gives 10% or 20% discounts, but I reckon they should give discounts based on how much of the game you have completed. If you have not played it then you pay full price, but if you have fully completed the game, then you can claim it for free, and only while games are in the service.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads