Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Sony is going hard on live-service games

• Posted on 26 May 22 at 10:24
    Sony has released its financial reports for PlayStation, revealing that the PS4 and PS5 can expect to see many live-service games in the future. It even looks like there will be two more unannounced games this year.

Please click here to read the full story: Sony is going hard on live-service games
  • Posted on 26 May 22 at 11:22
    12 more live services just means 12 more minimum viable products like the rest that have been coming out lately.
  • Xadro_Xadro_71,232
    Posted on 26 May 22 at 11:22
    I wonder if they are going to fail as hard as Ubisoft with their desperation to get a live-service game that sticks.
  • zaylzayl250,572
    Posted on 26 May 22 at 11:46
    No thank you, will pass on that
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,274
    Posted on 26 May 22 at 12:11
    Live-service is pointless at this time. I wish more companies would do CDPR's approach to Witcher 3 and give us small free DLCs whilst we wait for meaningful content, rather than live service SP games like Ubisoft are somehow managing to churn out.
    Congratulations on your platinum.
  • VigilantCrowVigilantCrow552,019
    Posted on 26 May 22 at 14:52
    So the plan is pushing nothing remotely fun or entertaining and wanting us to move elsewhere, such as Steam. Gotcha.
  • Posted on 27 May 22 at 07:32
    I hate live-service type of games.
  • NaberiosNaberios275,698
    Posted on 27 May 22 at 13:43
    It'll only work, for me, if they don't slack on the quality single-player games. There is a way to foster good live-service games, but publishers nearly always lean too heavily on the monetization elements instead of the actual game. If Sony can manage the common pitfalls of live-service games, like pushing the game out too quickly to try and capitalize on the monetization while the devs finish the game, no good narrative, having major story and back story points presented in some obtuse manner - like putting them on a website instead of in the game, over-charging for mediocre "expansions", obviously having any kind of pay to win microtransactions.... it would nice. Shocking, but nice. There's a lot of ways to screw things up. We'll see if Sony has the willpower and fortitude to produce the kind of quality they seem to hold dear in their live-service titles.
  • CoreyST66CoreyST66630,219
    Posted on 27 May 22 at 15:32
    I wonder how many they are expecting/hoping to be successful. Live service games have such a high failure rate but the ones that make it big, make it real big.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc587,485
    Posted on 28 May 22 at 19:08
    Genuinely disgusted hearing/reading the words "Live Service". Games are not a service
    Xbox has either brought in, or supported several bad trends in gaming. Paid online, paid skins, and Micro-transactions, and games as a service
  • ShinKotakeShinKotake725,164
    Posted on 29 May 22 at 04:16
    NxtDoc said:
    Genuinely disgusted hearing/reading the words "Live Service". Games are not a service
    Sadly, modern publishers disagree. To quote Jim Sterling "They don't just want some of the money, they want all the money"
    "You spoony bard!"
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads