The Debating Chamber

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

Poll: Should PlayStation exclusives be day one on the new PS Plus?

• Posted on 14 May 22 at 09:00
    PS Plus won't be getting any exclusives from PlayStation Studios on day one, it was confirmed this week. But should Sony change its mind? Would God of War, Horizon, Gran Turismo, and Uncharted be better suited to the service?

Please click here to read the full story: https://www.truetrophies.com/poll/21173/poll-should-playstat...
    Poll: Should PlayStation exclusives be day one on the new PS Plus?
    • 39.4% - Yes — everything should be day one
    • 41.2% - Sometimes — when the game suits a Plus release
    • 18.3% - No — nothing should be day one
    • 1.1% - Other — comment down below!

We had 284 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • DJbruce92DJbruce92388,288
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 09:52
    Don't know why sony doesn't do some sort of compromise, Like fair enough don't put the games on Plus day one but like maybe a few months down the road, Maybe a year.
  • ParanoimiaParanoimia234,933
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 10:15
    For me, no. They put a lot of time and money into their exclusives, and if everyone's playing it for "free" they won't make that money back, so future games will suffer; either quality will suffer, or fewer titles will be made... or both. (Yes, I know... we pay a subscription for Plus, so it isn't really "free", but it's pretty close.)

I'm certainly one of the people who were not happy about the price rise from PS4 to PS5, especially as I'm in the UK, where - unlike the US - we also had a price rise from PS3 to PS4. But even so, I'd still rather pay for the games I like in order to fund future titles.

Sony will have some insight as to whether this would work for them or not, since they released MLB The Show on Game Pass. If they felt it would work financially, I'm sure they'd do it. I don't know what Microsoft pay developers/publishers for putting their game on GP day one, but I can't imagine it's the same as they'd get for a copy sold in the traditional manner; if it is, then it's surely only sustainable long-term for a company like Microsoft, who effectively have bottomless pockets.
  • Posted on 14 May 22 at 11:42
    As a consumer, it would obviously be great to have day one releases on PS Plus. But it completely makes sense that Sony would lose money by giving away AAA titles for free like that. I don't know (or care) how Microsoft can do it and not lose a ton of money, but I understand Sony's decision making on this one.
  • Posted on 14 May 22 at 12:52
    I really don't care even as someone who used to be subscribed to Game Pass. I prefer owning my games and while Game Pass does offer great value, I almost never used it.
  • Posted on 14 May 22 at 13:26
    It's a no for me, have a game be "free" on release day just devalues the game. The only reason Microsoft can get away with it is because every other parts of the company makes so much money that they can afford to take some losses in the gaming division to keep themselves in the market.
  • zaylzayl250,603
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 14:14
    Games for a service is bad... ive been a hard no on that since day one
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 14:24
    Sometimes, if it's something that requires a huge budget, then obviously giving it away in plus may not be worth the devs time. If it's a more niche title that's exclusive, then yes.
    But niche gamea are different in different regions so.
    Congratulations on your platinum.
  • donald047donald0472,462,152
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 15:44
    Going with no as well. Maybe after a certain period like a few months but certainly not DAY 1 style.
    Donald W Forbes
  • PlumeQueenQPlumeQueenQ268,339
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 18:08
    Like I totally understand that some people would like the exclusives to be day one releases, but let’s just say a AAA game has a budget of 50 million dollars, and you get 1 million people who play it over the course of say 3 months. If we’re paying, for argument’s sake, $20-$25 a month for the highest tier of PS Plus then Sony only makes back about half of what they’ve spent on that game. Game ends up being marked as a flop and then more games are unlikely as it didn’t actually make any profit. Realistically the only reason I feel Microsoft has day one releases is that they have the pockets that are deep enough to take those losses, Sony/PlayStation doesn’t have nearly as deep pockets as Microsoft does so of course Microsoft isn’t gonna care about losing money right now when they’re trying to sell their consoles and bring people to their platform from other platforms. Sad thing is though when someone has the option to pay for your new system and new game(so about $800 where I’m living) or pay you $20 for a month to stream your game with a good internet connection they’d rather pay you the $20 if your exclusives aren’t enough to really sell your system and I feel like Xbox doesn’t have the exclusives to be selling the Series X at this point especially when their exclusives are also on PC and I’d rather put the money into a PC than an Xbox at this point with their Netflix style approach to gaming these past few years.
  • Posted on 14 May 22 at 18:09, Edited on 14 May 22 at 18:11 by superniceguy_2
    Definitely no. Xbox is suffering because of it. Forza games were annual releases before GP, now not only is FM 3 years overdue, as FM 8 should have been 2019, but it is now not available for purchase or even play in GP.

Plus Xbox releases are looking extremely baron for 2022, now Starfield delayed, no doubt due to lack of resources to get done.

You pay for what you get.

GP was great to begin as the games going in GP were created with purchasing in mind, but now not getting the money to keep quality going

If you care for gaming, buy the games, if you do not care for gaming then sponge off services like GP.
  • ShadeSplitShadeSplit787,126
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 19:56
    They could make smaller games for the service that would normally be $20 or so.
    War is hell. The last thing we want is a fight.
  • SilentJay76_SilentJay76_104,537
    Posted on 14 May 22 at 20:43
    Don't call it "Premium" if it's not premium. If they want it to be a success, they'll have to keep up with the competition. Otherwise it'll just continue PS Now's legacy with disappointing subscriber numbers.
  • PLATINBLAZEPLATINBLAZE364,264
    Posted on 15 May 22 at 01:07
    I mean since they change things then DEFINITELY...

[x] Yes — everything should be day one
    "A person's life is not defined by age, but by the choices they make." - Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5)
  • AzureWrath1AzureWrath1134,053
    Posted on 15 May 22 at 03:09, Edited on 15 May 22 at 03:14 by AzureWrath1
    No and if you want to see where this leads, take a look at the state of Xbox's first party releases the last few years. Sub fees alone can't sustain the cost of quality AAA development.
  • HappyDogCPHHappyDogCPH100,002
    Posted on 15 May 22 at 07:53
    I’d say yes.
  • mysticmoshmysticmosh1,066,859
    Posted on 15 May 22 at 08:23
    If they did put stuff on day one, it should only be available to the premium level subscribers and then only as a timed event, say 2 weeks or so. But I think it's a definite 'no' for me for the reason that the companies involved in making the games need to make profit. You don't go into business to lose money, so unless Sony would cover the loses (and there would be losses because why pay for something when you can get it for a fraction of the price through plus), it doesn't make good financial sense.
    I have Game Pass ultimate and even when they bring out the day one games, I haven't felt the need to bother with any, so take that as you will, but I wonder how much MORE profit (to put towards improving/making new games) the studios like Playground would have made if the likes of Forza Horizon 4/5 were not on the service.
  • Posted on 15 May 22 at 11:50
    No, they shouldn't.

I know games are expensive sometimes. But the reason I chose to play on ps4/Ps5 is the quality of their games. To make a game like God of War, the Last of Us, it is needed a huge amount of money. They need to recover that and make profit, so they can do better and better next time.

I don't play just for fun. It's my main hobby, I love videogames and I think it should be taken seriously. As long Sony delivers very high quality games for their console, they deserve to be paid for it. Medium quality games and low quality, we players, don't deserve it, even being cheaper.
    KingTonzera, Brazilian Player.
  • Posted on 15 May 22 at 15:21
    Not only should they be day one, but they should be exclusive to PS+. It should not be possible to buy them separately.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc586,773
    Posted on 15 May 22 at 20:02
    It is absolutely preposterous to think games should go into a Sub Service Day One...

If any of you believe that Xbox could do it, without the help of Mommy Microsoft, then you're delusional. Xbox is hemorrhaging money right now. Loss Leading trying to push this.

Just look at how much Netflix is losing with their 200 Million plus Subs..
    Xbox has either brought in, or supported several bad trends in gaming. Paid online, paid skins, and Micro-transactions, and games as a service
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads