Forum for the Hangman 2021 Contest

Hangman 2021 FAQ

• Posted on 15 September 21 at 23:31, Edited on 15 September 21 at 23:32 by BeardedScot86
    This event is an trophy-themed twist on the classic game of hangman, with the player guessing the letters in a phrase provided to them using the first character of their trophy unlocks. Guessing one letter correctly will show all of that letter within the phrase, allowing the phrase to be guessed and then completed. Guessing incorrectly will use up an attempt and draw part of the hangman. Successful completion of your first puzzle will add a level to your Community Challenge badge. Failure IS possible and if you tire of the game, there is an option to give up.

The player will be allowed a total of 7 incorrect guesses. The 8th wrong guess will end the puzzle. Guessing the same letter again will not count as a guess.

NEW FEATURE: After 6 "incorrect" guesses you can find the "Skip Rare Letters" button. Clicking this will reveal any J / Q / V / X / Z letters in your phrase - meaning you won't have to unlock those. Don't worry - there is a confirmation required if you accidently hit the button. Clever readers will understand that we are not pulling any punches with the phrases and you might just have to find some rare letters.

There will be a pool of phrases, one of which will be randomly assigned to the player upon starting the puzzle.

There is no provision to type in the phrase if you do discover what it is. To solve it, unlock the appropriate trophies. This ensures there is at least some level of challenge if/when the list of phrases is puzzled out.

Only trophies that start with a letter in the English alphabet are valid trophies for this event. Special characters such as those with umlauts are just too hot for this event and are ignored.

The event starts on Friday the 17th of September at 11am UTC and will last until Monday the 18th of October at 11am UTC.

You are responsible for scanning in your unlocked trophies.

A final reminder that ALL valid trophies are considered guesses once you start on your phrase. Be careful with trophies that have simultaneous unlocks as they will be considered guesses too. Plan accordingly!

QUESTIONS:
    How do I make a guess?
    Once you've started the puzzle, all valid trophies unlocked are considered guesses. Guessing the same letter doesn't count as a wrong guess. Accidental unlocks of other letters will count as incorrect guesses if the letter they start with is not in the puzzle. Plan accordingly!

Why does the 8th wrong guess end the game?
    Everyone plays hangman with different rules. The way this has been planned ensures the puzzles are difficult enough that you need to plan a bit when unlocking the trophies to spell them out.

If I click the "Skip Rare Letters" button, do I still need to unlock them?
    Nope. This button will fill in the rare letters in the puzzle for you. Any instance of J / Q / V / X / Z will be populated in your phrase should you choose to use this feature.

Can I get a new puzzle once I've started?
    No. Everyone is given one puzzle randomly from the pool we've created. Once that puzzle is completed - you may pull a new puzzle, but no changing puzzles once the phrase is provided.

Are there more puzzles to complete?
    Yes, we have a pile of phrases that can be pulled, but you must complete the puzzle before getting a new one.

Do we have to spell the phrase in order?
    No, just like traditional Hangman, you can guess letters in any order.

Can I register, clean up some games I don't want to interfere with my play, click a start button and then get going?
    Yes. There is a start button.

Is there a way to pause the event so I can play without making accidental guesses?
    No.

Is it cool to share the phrases?
    No, why would you ask this? If you figure it out, please don't post the phrase publicly. Abuse of this will lead to a contest ban. Please play nice!

Where is my event panel? Its not on my homepage.
    You may need to add that by heading here:
    Customize Homepage and making sure contest panel is set to a color. Once its there you will see your progress and a link to a larger display of the event.
  • webgmchewebgmche226,292
    Posted on 23 September 21 at 12:18
    I have a problem with the letter "u"
    I got an achievement, but the letter didn't count.
    vaka, vaka, and vaka again!
  • Posted on 23 September 21 at 21:45
    webgmche said:
    I have a problem with the letter "u"
    I got an achievement, but the letter didn't count.
    There was an issue with how it scanned in. It had been unlocked, but not synced, and then you unlocked other trophies and synced them. So when the U trophy was scanned into the site, it appeared as older than your most recent trophies and was ignored on the event. One of the devs has fixed this for you
  • webgmchewebgmche226,292
    Posted on 24 September 21 at 07:26
    Wow. I have already looked at the rest of the achievements with the letter "U" and thought that I would not finish this challenge. Thanks a lot!
    vaka, vaka, and vaka again!
  • Posted on 24 September 21 at 17:37
    Hiya, I have the same problem, but with my R. I think I unlocked it on vita and scanned it after others. It might well be an incorrect guess, but it would be nice to have it anyway.
  • Posted on 25 September 21 at 18:15
    krakenofchaos said:
    Hiya, I have the same problem, but with my R. I think I unlocked it on vita and scanned it after others. It might well be an incorrect guess, but it would be nice to have it anyway.
    Sent it along for the devs although as it is the weekend, it may not get looked at for a few days
    I'm Commander Shephard and this is my favourite trophy website on the internet!
  • Posted on 27 September 21 at 02:09
    Thank you.
  • ItsDampmanItsDampman409,476
    Posted on 10 October 21 at 15:55
    Is there a limit on how many Hangman challenges you can do? I seem to have run out.
  • Posted on 11 October 21 at 09:41
    ItsDampman said:
    Is there a limit on how many Hangman challenges you can do? I seem to have run out.
    You have finished all the phrases available for Hangman. Congrats :)
  • JrSolarisJrSolaris107,838
    Posted on 13 October 21 at 01:54
    I have just one guess left, no special letters, and can't see the "Skip Button".
  • Posted on 13 October 21 at 12:57
    JrSolaris said:
    I have just one guess left, no special letters, and can't see the "Skip Button".
    The Skip button will only appear if you have rare letters in your phrase and haven't guessed them already. You don't have rare letters for your phrase and therefore the button isn't there. You will have to continue unlocking trophies for your remaining letters to finish the phrase. If you guess incorrectly, you will fail on the phrase, but you can start new phrase
  • readyashreadyash141,747
    Posted on 13 October 21 at 23:17
    @beardedscot86

Same problem for me :(. Did not sync the "W" trophy from Mega Man 10 game. PS Now might not have synced until after I manually tried to sync since I saw it missing.
  • Posted on 14 October 21 at 12:36
    readyash said:
    @beardedscot86

Same problem for me :(. Did not sync the "W" trophy from Mega Man 10 game. PS Now might not have synced until after I manually tried to sync since I saw it missing.
    Sent this over to the devs. Unsure when they will get to it though as they are busy working on stuff at the moment
  • Posted on 15 October 21 at 21:12
    I'm throwing in the towel for this year's contest, but it's always one of my favorites. Got to double digits, which was my goal. "U" ended up becoming a bigger problem letter than I expected. Like all contests on the site, it gave me a push to dive deeper into games I've wanted to play more of and I'm very happy to come out of this with Yakuza 0 as my main game right now. Also played through God of War 3 and Ghost of Sparta and played enough Castlevania: Lords of Darkness to want to get back to that at some point soon.

Good luck to everyone else trying to push up the leaderboard in the last few days!
  • Posted on 18 October 21 at 16:26
    Am I right in believing I've not got the completion badge because I used the cheat button for the Z?
    If so, wish I'd realised that was the case and found the time to pop one legit. never mind.
  • Posted on 18 October 21 at 20:15
    Soup_of_pants said:
    Am I right in believing I've not got the completion badge because I used the cheat button for the Z?
    If so, wish I'd realised that was the case and found the time to pop one legit. never mind.
    You should have received the badge. The "cheat" button was just added as some letters are very difficult to obtain if you don't have the right games. I have sent this to the devs for investigation
  • Langy900Langy900873,208
    Posted on 19 October 21 at 08:00
    Maybe I’m just being blind but I also cannot see the badge received on my profile?
    [URL=http://psnprofiles.com/Langy900][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Langy900.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • Posted on 19 October 21 at 09:57
    Langy900 said:
    Maybe I’m just being blind but I also cannot see the badge received on my profile?
    Flagged this for the devs to look at
  • Posted on 19 October 21 at 11:18
    BeardedScot86 said:
    Soup_of_pants said:
    You should have received the badge. The "cheat" button was just added as some letters are very difficult to obtain if you don't have the right games. I have sent this to the devs for investigation
    Cool, thanks mate, wasn't sure if it was just something I'd missed somewhere in the rules. Fingers crossed they can sort it. Still feel a bit dirty for using the cheat button though!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads