TrueTrophies Polls

Forum for our TrueTrophies Polls

Do you think accessibility options and cheats should prevent trophies from unlocking?

• CanezzaCanezza74,208
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 15:54
    Do you think accessibility options and cheats should prevent trophies from unlocking? Let us know by voting in this week's TrueTrophies poll and by sharing your thoughts in the comments.

Please click here to read the full story: https://www.truetrophies.com/poll/19737/do-you-think-accessi...
    Poll: Do you think accessibility options and cheats should prevent trophies from unlocking?
    • 11.2% - Yes, both should disable trophies
    • 39.5% - Yes, cheats should
    • 0.7% - Yes, accessibility options should
    • 33.3% - No, neither should
    • 15.2% - Don't care

We had 276 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
  • Posted on 18 July 21 at 16:15
    The way I see it, it's pretty simple: trophies are a part of gaming; & everything about gaming should be accessible to anyone who's interested in them, regardless of their physical condition. Ergo, the need to enable accessibility options shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying trophy hunting. :-)
  • Posted on 18 July 21 at 16:37
    Right from Wikipedia:
    “A trophy is a tangible, durable reminder of a specific achievement, and serves as a recognition or evidence of merit.”
    Trophies and accessibility are the furthest things apart, either block them if you use cheat or accessibility options, or rename them as participation awards.
  • yannyb83yannyb83337,490
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 17:34
    I voted cheats should... I'm a massive hypocrite, I totally used dev mode to get the Conan trophies 🤭
  • I-Reaped-UI-Reaped-U387,117
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 18:03
    scemopagliaccioh said:
    Right from Wikipedia:
    “A trophy is a tangible, durable reminder of a specific achievement, and serves as a recognition or evidence of merit.”
    Trophies and accessibility are the furthest things apart, either block them if you use cheat or accessibility options, or rename them as participation awards.
    So, if someone is disabled it should be broadcasted that they only got the trophy because they are disabled? Wow. You’re clearly a great person.
  • ChuckRage77ChuckRage77278,331
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 18:10
    Absolutely, cheats should always disable trophies. I'm all for players having the choice to use in game cheats, but trophies should be earned.
  • CoreyST66CoreyST66627,711
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 19:02
    scemopagliaccioh said:
    Right from Wikipedia:
    You are quoting the description for an actual trophy.

Playstation trophies are anything but tangible.
  • Jet-KlaatuJet-Klaatu144,962
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 19:58, Edited on 18 July 21 at 19:59 by Jet-Klaatu
    I looked at this poll done on the Xbox site and they all said "No, neither should.". Interesting difference in player base for sure! I think it speaks to the character of the Xbox community more than anything.
  • strifekunstrifekun239,340
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 20:02
    For cheats, 100%; but for disability options, absolutely not!! People who have a disability shouldn't be punished for having disabilities!! My choice to use the dyslexia font or using color blind mode shouldn't bar me from trophy hunting.
  • boldfox85boldfox85535,909
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 20:15
    Cheats definitely should. I worked so hard to get 100% in gears of war 1, 2, 3, gta 4 and red dead redemption 1. Allowing cheats would have made it really easy and killed how proud I was to get those achievements.
    GT: boldfoxrd
  • HakuMH4UHakuMH4U443,071
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 20:29
    I guess the only real difference is how prestigious the Platinum is going to be. The only reason no one cares about the Celeste platinum is because most people that have it got it with accessibility options on (which is how I got it). I never even considered getting it legit because of the work it would take for a garbage TT score. I guess what I’m saying is either way is fine, and there certainly room for easy and hard platinum trophies. It comes down to whether or not the developers want their trophy to mean something or not. People will pop those trophies one way or another.
  • Posted on 18 July 21 at 20:30
    Cheats should definately cancel trophies. Accessibility stuff is a bit more tricky. I mean, color blind options and stuff like that are fine, but when you start getting into auto-movement and things of that nature... I'm not so sure. It's great that disabled people can experience games now that they otherwise couldn't, but if there's a trophy for playing on ULTRA-HARD or whatever, no, you don't get a trophy for watching the game play itself.
  • Groudon199Groudon199345,632
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 21:49
    Even cheats aren't as clear as people make them out to be. Sure, there are cheats like level select for Wandersong and health recovery for Grand Theft Auto Vice City but there's also invisible instruments for Guitar Hero: Metallica which is purely cosmetic and doesn't help you earn any trophies more easily. Why should that block trophies from unlocking?
  • Heazie-ManHeazie-Man306,310
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 21:56
    Yes, both
    It me.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 22:53
    I literally do not care. If someone wants to do it, who cares? It's an SP game. If there was some form of "legal cheat", if you will, in an MP game. I'd be more inclined to have an outburst (even though I'm not an MP player anymore).
    Accessibility is a good thing and those people who need or want this shouldn't be made to feel bad because some trophy hunters are eliteists who think everytjing revolves around them. It doesn't, let people game and enjoy it their way.
    Xbox caught race to 400,000TT begins.
  • Posted on 18 July 21 at 22:55, Edited on 18 July 21 at 23:06 by scemopagliaccioh
    I-Reaped-U said:
    scemopagliaccioh said:
    Right from Wikipedia:
    So, if someone is disabled it should be broadcasted that they only got the trophy because they are disabled? Wow. You’re clearly a great person.
    Yes. More than you trying to guilt trip people, for sure.
    And to answer your question, no, it shouldn’t be broadcasted, it should be avoided to hand out the trophy in the first place for nothing, just to make someone happy, like all other competitive activities.

CoreyST66 said:
    scemopagliaccioh said:
    Right from Wikipedia:
    You are quoting the description for an actual trophy.

Playstation trophies are anything but tangible.
    If you go by the feeling of touch, then yes, but that’s not the only meaning tangible can have.
    It’s the same thing regarding money, electronic money nowadays can be used as much as paper money, that’s the same thing regarding trophies or achievements online and a trophy I got during P.E. in my school years, sports and e-sports and so on, it’s really semantics, we use more electronic based stuff because it’s much more convenient, the value of said trophies, PlayStation wise or say a sport like Football may differ based on how much companies invests in those events, or them being electronic or not, but the name and purpose remains the same, to achieve a certain thing, or an award for doing a thing, they’re not meant to be part of the “gaming experience”, hence games tended in the past to block the use of cheats combined with unlocking trophies, and also why achievements/trophies based site blocked individuals who cheated by use of external devices, as it cheapened what the persons that went through legit obtained.
  • VigilantCrowVigilantCrow548,586
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 23:00
    Cheats should definitely disable trophies, disability settings shouldn't.
    We don't need to gatekeep, the trophy community is small enough as it is.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 18 July 21 at 23:03
    strifekun said:
    For cheats, 100%; but for disability options, absolutely not!! People who have a disability shouldn't be punished for having disabilities!! My choice to use the dyslexia font or using color blind mode shouldn't bar me from trophy hunting.
    100% agree with this and I don't really class this as a cheat for people with disabilities that may find the game more enjoyable.
    I bet half the people that are complaining will still use this option and claim to have not done so.
    Xbox caught race to 400,000TT begins.
  • voidwraithsvoidwraiths286,786
    Posted on 19 July 21 at 00:06, Edited on 19 July 21 at 00:07 by voidwraiths
    I play every game I own on the hardest setting from the get-go. I'm not hardcore, I'm not a pro, it was merely how I extended the shelf life of my games growing up and is a habit I carried into adulthood. That's a personal choice, and one that happens to lead to me getting a few more trophies than someone who plays on Easy. I don't care if they use accessibility options or dev-coded cheats to get the same virtual trophy as me, as long as it's not obtained through hacking/external tools.

I S-Ranked every fight in MGR: Revengeance for example, but if you told me you used infinite health and colourblind zandatsu mode in this hypothetical, and you also obtained the trophy, I wouldn't be salty. I got my time out of the game. I use my trophies as a 100% checklist of sorts, not as a barometer for how great a gamer I am.

All I ever ask for from something that offers multiple difficulties/accessibility features, is each be fairly balanced so as not to hinder the others.
  • darkjian92darkjian922,032,916
    Posted on 19 July 21 at 00:36
    This got a bit long and ranty. No one specific is targeted by what follows.

I think the more salient question is why are we even weighing in on this the way the community seems to be? If a developer or publisher chooses to include accessibility options or cheats, then that's up to them. Long gone are the days where you could buy PlayStation magazine and get all the latest cheat codes in an era before trophies muddied the water of "having fun" with video games. Some publishers and developers will have an ethic of inclusion for their trophies, some will not. Every person in the gaming community is capable of knowing which trophies are able to be gained or made easier with cheats, cheesing, or using accessibility options. Every trophy tracking/competitive trophy leaderboard site I know removes those who cheat by contravening the systems put in place by Sony and their devs/pubs.

There is an appalling undercurrent of elitism behind the question and the community at large whenever these topics are discussed - pre/post patch trophy earnings and title updates that bring quality of life improvements are also examples. The delusion that gaming is suffering - and that if one person suffers with a thing, all should suffer - is inherently stupid and restrictive. As a community, gamers should be better than that. Want to earn a Psychonauts plat without invincible mode? Go for it. But, don't bitch and whine if the option is included for those who just want to enjoy it, because that option is available to everyone. Same with games that don't lock you out of trophies because you're not playing on the hardest mode. And, honestly, if you're that interested in vehemence in your competitive gameplay, Fortnite is waiting with open arms, and 800 million preteens who are happy to respond to your competitivity in kind.
    Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela. (To the success of our hopeless task.) - Russian Proverb DJ
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads