Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

PlayStation exclusive Resistance 4 cancelled due to post-apocalyptic fatigue - report

• FlailFlail591,028
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 12:04
    I would prefer a reimagined version of the first Resistance game and rebooting the series.
    So Insomniac can realize their first vision of the game/franchise with huge battles with a lot of NPCs on the screen.
    And a FPS is really missing in Sonys first party lineup.

If you want to replay the series... Don't especially the first game feels really dusty 😂 With no aiming down sight
    You can always go and watch a walkthrough on YouTube if you want to check out if you missed something.
  • ShadeSplitShadeSplit640,736
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 12:08
    I'm definitely tired of post-apocalyptic games, and I haven't even played many of them.
  • Posted on 08 June 21 at 13:38
    I literally just played Burning Skies and thought it was decent enough (for a Vita game.) Was thinking about playing Resistance 3 via PS Now (if that's smooth enough) and lamenting the lack of any Resistance games for PS4, or first person shooters in general.

Burning Skies didn't feel like the usual post-apocalyptic world to me. Had more of a sci-fi vibe, really. And considering that every 2nd game is post-apocalyptic these days, surely there's a spot for a decent FPS series?
  • Posted on 08 June 21 at 14:52
    Flail said:
    If you want to replay the series... Don't
    Thanks, I'll stay well away and keep waiting for that remaster!
  • Searing_WaveSearing_Wave133,876
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 15:11
    Flail said:
    I would prefer a reimagined version of the first Resistance game and rebooting the series.
    So Insomniac can realize their first vision of the game/franchise with huge battles with a lot of NPCs on the screen.
    And a FPS is really missing in Sonys first party lineup.

If you want to replay the series... Don't especially the first game feels really dusty 😂 With no aiming down sight
    You can always go and watch a walkthrough on YouTube if you want to check out if you missed something.
    The first game did have ADS, not that that mechanic alone makes a game age well or not.

I actually do still recommend the games, graphically obviously they are dated by now but the gameplay still holds up. I played the first two around their era, but the third I did not get around to playing until just about two years back. I would not say they are worth re-purchasing a whole PS3 for alone, but alongside other games you may want to play they are a decent shooter romp and don't overstay their welcome.
  • mysticmoshmysticmosh861,675
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 16:03
    I still haven't managed to finish Resistance 3 after buying it on launch!. That apart, I would like to see a 4th instalment of the franchise. Just leave out the MP. rock
  • Posted on 08 June 21 at 20:03
    I unfortunately never got the chance to play most old PS Exclusives as I have bought a PS5 having only ever played Xbox in the past. I hope they do bring them all back even if it's a HD port or Remastered. Rather PS has a lot of post apocalypse games or not they still have a huge verity compared to Xbox.
  • extrasafeivyextrasafeivy712,494
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 20:31
    One of my favourite series, Resistance, spent hours in MP at the beginning of PS3 and worked through the story finishing my first ever hard mode to get the black ops costume for MP. Gave it a go after playing the demo as I wanted to try out various genres at the time and didn't look back. Good times. Remastered trilogy would be awesomely nostalgic.
  • ItsKristaItsKrista453,370
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 21:30
    I'd love this franchise to come back!
    What might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc541,390
    Posted on 08 June 21 at 21:51
    Aw man. I get the "Post Apocalyptic" fatigue. As I am "Zombie'd" out myself. But I never viewed Resistance as post apocalypse. I can see a parallel though. I hope it makes a return in the future
    Xbox has either brought in, or supported several bad trends in gaming. Paid online, paid skins, and Micro-transactions, and games as a service
  • Posted on 09 June 21 at 01:37
    Another Sony exclusive cancelled. Not surprised one bit.
    Impatienly waiting for the next Life is Strange
  • Posted on 09 June 21 at 08:22
    SilentJay76_ said:
    I literally just played Burning Skies and thought it was decent enough (for a Vita game.)
    I think compared to Killzone Mercenary it doesn't quite get the most out of vita. Definitely recommend Killzone on if you haven't played! Also just generally, don't doubt the little beast. Danganrompa, Virtue's Last Reward, Dragon's Crown, Persona 4 Golden, Sine Mora, Metal Gear, Severed... Quite a catalogue of games that are worth delving into!
  • Posted on 09 June 21 at 09:03
    AstonMatinDBS said:
    SilentJay76_ said:
    I literally just played Burning Skies and thought it was decent enough (for a Vita game.)
    I think compared to Killzone Mercenary it doesn't quite get the most out of vita. Definitely recommend Killzone on if you haven't played! Also just generally, don't doubt the little beast. Danganrompa, Virtue's Last Reward, Dragon's Crown, Persona 4 Golden, Sine Mora, Metal Gear, Severed... Quite a catalogue of games that are worth delving into!
    I played Killzone a while ago. Too long to remember how it compares to Resistance, tbh. (But I rated both 3.5, so they were both "good" in my book.) I'll have to check out some of those other games. (Although anime really isn't my thing.)

Still have a few games in my backlog as well. Not getting around to the Vita much, since our friendly neighbourhood virus put a stop to vacation travel...
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed424,847
    Posted on 09 June 21 at 13:14
    This is one series I'd happily buy 4K remasters of the SP campaigns.
    I never got to finish 3. For some reason I started Resistance 2 on this profile knowing the MP is dead *facepalm*
    Xbox caught race to 400,000TT begins.
  • Posted on 09 June 21 at 13:36
    I swear I bought Fuse, but I must have put it somewhere special because I just can't find the box/disc anywhere.
    I never change, except in my affections.
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET566,856
    Posted on 10 June 21 at 03:46
    Resistance was a great series. I spent many hours online in 1 and 2 playing the deathmatch and co-op. The campaign was solid in 1 and 2, but the ending in 2 really destroyed the story for me. Going into 3 I wasn't quite as excited. 3 definitely felt the weakest of the main trilogy and the online lost it's magic.

I'd happily take a remastered trilogy or even better a reboot Resistance.
  • Posted on 10 June 21 at 06:36
    There is a big difference between a post-apocalyptic or distopian sci-fi setting and a zombie apocalypse. I could not care less for the Last of Us but I enjoy games like Fallout and the likes. And since Fallout is well on it's way to Xbox exclusivity it is a great time to bring back Resistance or even Killzone.
  • Posted on 10 June 21 at 16:16
    Prem-aka-Prince said:
    I swear I bought Fuse, but I must have put it somewhere special because I just can't find the box/disc anywhere.
    From what I hear, it might be best left unfound ;)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.