Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Bethesda's Starfield is not coming to PlayStation - report

• Posted on 17 May 21 at 15:31
    Bethesda's long awaited sci-fi RPG Starfield will not be arriving on PlayStation hardware. Jeff Grubb, the VentureBeat journalist and reputable insider, revealed that the game will be exclusive to Xbox and PC on Twitter.

Please click here to read the full story: Bethesda's Starfield is not coming to PlayStation - report
  • GingerJamessGingerJamess143,772
    Posted on 17 May 21 at 17:03
    Oh no! Anyway headspin
  • Posted on 17 May 21 at 17:37, Edited on 17 May 21 at 17:56 by superniceguy_2
    I still say it is coming to PlayStation as MS themselves said that games in current development, which includes Starfield, will still be on PS. The game started life in 2013, shown at E3 in 2018 well before the acquisition. This not a new IP from Bethesda within Xbox ownership.
  • Posted on 17 May 21 at 17:51
    Only MS knows what MS will do (which is presumably a fluid situation depending on other factors anyway.) But my guess is still that new IPs will be Xbox exclusive (incl. PC), while established major franchises like Fallout or Elder Scrolls will be cross-platform or "timed exclusives."
  • Posted on 17 May 21 at 18:13, Edited on 17 May 21 at 21:55 by superniceguy_2
    Total rubbish - https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/31/xbox-online-multiplayer-will-...

Jeff Grubb does seem to say his opinions as though they are facts, especially the first tweet highlighted in above article.

Xbox Live Gold is going away and playing online multiplayer will be free. They will not force you into Ultimate to play online.— Jeff Grubb (@JeffGrubb) July 31, 2020
    I had arguments with people on twitter when I said Gold is not going away, as people all believed Jeff Grubb. Gold going away made zero business sense, more people are subbed to Gold than Game Pass.

I am not disputing Jeff about Starfield because he was wrong about Gold, but because MS stated games before the acquisition would still be honored.

If Starfield is exclusive to Xbox / GP then it could have been exclusive to Xbox since 2018 or whenever, or MS is just full of nonsense and can not be trusted, as they spout rubbish just to try and please everyone, and they have lost the plot.
  • GameplatoGameplato4,959
    Posted on 17 May 21 at 19:36
    The first stage of grief persists.
    — Gameplato
  • Posted on 17 May 21 at 19:52, Edited on 17 May 21 at 19:54 by AstonMatinDBS
    superniceguy_2 said:
    Total rubbish - https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/31/xbox-online-multiplayer-will-...

Jeff Grubb does seem to say his opinions as though they are facts, especially the first tweet highlighted in above article.

Xbox Live Gold is going away and playing online multiplayer will be free. They will not force you into Ultimate to play online.— Jeff Grubb (@JeffGrubb) July 31, 2020
    I had arguments with people on twitter when I said Gold is not going away, as people all believed Jeff Grubb. Gold going away made zero business sense, more people are subbed to Gold than Game Pass.

I am not disputing Jeff about Starfield because he was wrong about Gold, but because MS stated games before the acquisition would still be honored.

If Starfield is exclusive to Xbox / GP then it could have been exclusive to Xbox since 2018 or whenever
    I think, in truth, the wording that Spenser has used to describe the deal and the games coming out has been purposefully opaque. He wants to please every party by never comitting to exclusivity or non-exclusivity but making full use of that buzz word. It wouldn't surprise me if they have already decided that Starfield was exclusive (or indeed, not) but only gave us the hard details a month before launch. With all unconfirmed reports though, I think it is more interesting to plough through all the potential possibilities because it gives us a better indication of the gaming landscape.
  • Posted on 17 May 21 at 21:53
    Gameplato said:
    Personally I do not care myself, as I plan on getting Series X later anyway, if only to play the BC games better, but if Bethesda games are only on Xbox I will lose a lot of respect for MS / Xbox and may not bother getting one at all.

MS never seemed to be mad on exclusivity, and with Satya Nadella claiming that when we all play we all win, earns a lot of respect, but now they seem to be back tracking on that, and in a huge aggressive way. It is not just the odd game here but loads.

MS have been getting games that were on PS on to Xbox, like Yakuza, Nier, No Mans Sky, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts etc, but now take away Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, Fallout, Elder scrolls, Starfield etc from PS is not cool at all.
  • PipsqweekPipsqweek726,998
    Posted on 18 May 21 at 06:30
    Do I care? No, I built myself a top of the range PC.
    Will this be enough to get me to subscribe to GamePass Ultimate? No, not just for one game.
    I'll likely buy it and play it when I feel like it.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed376,262
    Posted on 18 May 21 at 07:25
    superniceguy_2 said:
    Gameplato said:
    Personally I do not care myself, as I plan on getting Series X later anyway, if only to play the BC games better, but if Bethesda games are only on Xbox I will lose a lot of respect for MS / Xbox and may not bother getting one at all.

MS never seemed to be mad on exclusivity, and with Satya Nadella claiming that when we all play we all win, earns a lot of respect, but now they seem to be back tracking on that, and in a huge aggressive way. It is not just the odd game here but loads.

MS have been getting games that were on PS on to Xbox, like Yakuza, Nier, No Mans Sky, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts etc, but now take away Doom, Wolfenstein, Prey, Fallout, Elder scrolls, Starfield etc from PS is not cool at all.
    I mean Square making FF multiplat was always going to be on the cards when a machine that equals the PS on power ect came out. That made business sense.
    No Mans Sky was always a timed exclusive anyway. Yakuza is probably the only surprising one on there.

Elder Scrolls is the only Bethesda title I care about now anyway, personally. Fallout was one of my favourite series until 4 punch me in the Tess T Culls. The less said about 76 the better. DOOM I never really got in to, I grew up with DOOM and although it was fancy and gory ect ect, it wasn't the same for me.

Let's not pretend that if Sony actually went ahead with the deal they had in place to buy Bethesda themselves, they'd not put them behind an exclusivity wall, I don't blame Xbox, I'm just very disappointed in Phil, when I was an Xbox gamer he seemed to be for the community, he wanted very few exclusives outside or Halo and Gears and he seems to be going back on "exclusivity kills the industry" BS he came out with a few years ago. Looks like he was trying to pretend he was the opposite of Mattick, but again, it is a business decision at the end of the day to make more money. It's savvy really.
    Xbox caught race to 400,000TT begins.
  • Posted on 18 May 21 at 11:24
    SolaceCreed said:
    superniceguy_2 said:
    Gameplato said:

I mean Square making FF multiplat was always going to be on the cards when a machine that equals the PS on power ect came out. That made business sense.
    No Mans Sky was always a timed exclusive anyway. Yakuza is probably the only surprising one on there.

Elder Scrolls is the only Bethesda title I care about now anyway, personally. Fallout was one of my favourite series until 4 punch me in the Tess T Culls. The less said about 76 the better. DOOM I never really got in to, I grew up with DOOM and although it was fancy and gory ect ect, it wasn't the same for me.

Let's not pretend that if Sony actually went ahead with the deal they had in place to buy Bethesda themselves, they'd not put them behind an exclusivity wall, I don't blame Xbox, I'm just very disappointed in Phil, when I was an Xbox gamer he seemed to be for the community, he wanted very few exclusives outside or Halo and Gears and he seems to be going back on "exclusivity kills the industry" BS he came out with a few years ago. Looks like he was trying to pretend he was the opposite of Mattick, but again, it is a business decision at the end of the day to make more money. It's savvy really.
    You have to put some of the blame on Sony's toxic behaviour, in my opinion. If one company plays dirty, you can expect the other to fight back at some point.

MS/Phil Spencer tried to reach out to Sony regarding cross-play and a friendlier relationship "for the gamer" on numerous occasions. Sony was never interested and responded by introducing more and more of these exclusivity deals and actively blocking cross-play unless the developer pays a hefty fee to enable it. (Which is a monthly fee that can run up to millions of dollars a year, from what I understand. MS and Nintendo offer it for free.) Sony has made it abundantly clear that, as the market leader, they consider themselves above the rest and don't want to (or need to) play nice. Great games, shitty attitude. So here we are.

I don't like it, since we all lose in the end, but I certainly understand that MS has changed course and decided to fight fire with fire. And I'm guessing most of us here on TA/TT will end up with both consoles (or a gaming PC) anyway.
  • I-Reaped-UI-Reaped-U310,126
    Posted on 18 May 21 at 13:14
    No way I’ll buy an Xbox. I hate their controllers sooooo much. The left thumb makes no sense to me after playing on PS for so long. I also just don’t need another console when I have a gaming PC. But, I’m not a huge PC gamer because of the game breaking bugs that sometimes don’t get fixed. I had the same game breaking bug happen to me on Gears of War 5 on PC. Two completely different PC builds months apart, same bug. Never finished the game. I hate wasting my time on a game I’m unable to finish because it crashes and won’t ever be fixed. PC gaming can be so unreliable because of all the various components involved.
  • BurningGodBurningGod263,874
    Posted on 18 May 21 at 15:17
    I guess I don't understand business. How is M$ going to make money from this? People who buy Gamepass to play a game like this but never actually buy the game. They're taking a hit on software sales on both console and PC. Gamepass for a year is $120, they'd make a lot more money getting some actual sales which Playstation would generate for them.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc531,549
    Posted on 18 May 21 at 15:55
    Oh well. Bethesda Games RPG's are some of the most overrated games I have ever played. I can't finish them. And I have given them several tries. Fallout in particular.

Now Wolfenstein or Doom are different stories. Those I'd actually be a little bummed about.
    Xbox has either brought in, or supported several bad trends in gaming. Paid online, paid skins, and Micro-transactions, and games as a service
  • Posted on 18 May 21 at 16:01, Edited on 18 May 21 at 16:03 by AstonMatinDBS
    BurningGod said:
    I guess I don't understand business. How is M$ going to make money from this? People who buy Gamepass to play a game like this but never actually buy the game. They're taking a hit on software sales on both console and PC. Gamepass for a year is $120, they'd make a lot more money getting some actual sales which Playstation would generate for them.
    They don't at the moment. Microsoft makes so much money that Xbox GamePass losses are but a drop in the ocean. The long-term goal, in my opinion, is to create an monopoly using their wealth. If Starfield, for example, were on gamepass but £70 on PS, very few are going to be buying on PS for much longer. If they can force PS out the market in this way, then eating the cost now will be nothing compared to every fiscally savvy gamer switching to xbox. Then they can up the price whenever they want to start earning $$$ again.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc531,549
    Posted on 18 May 21 at 16:04, Edited on 18 May 21 at 16:05 by NxtDoc
    SolaceCreed said:
    superniceguy_2 said:
    Gameplato said:

Phil is a double talkin crook. He lies on a regular basis. And somehow gaming media overlooks it. As you pointed out Solace, he claims "exclusives are bad for gamers, and against what gaming is about", or the other one "We will not be doing timed exclusives anymore" Yet, Falconeer and STALKER say otherwise. Or my personal favorite, for the past 4 years "The biggest and best E3 Xbox has ever had" 🙄.

Phil is a business man. All this Bethesda move was for was to try to infiltrate PlayStation and Nintendo's platforms with gamepASS. If Sony or Nintendo want Bethesda games. They'll need to allow gamepASS on their Networks. And I hope Sony doesn't allow it. It's ultimately bad for gamers
    Xbox has either brought in, or supported several bad trends in gaming. Paid online, paid skins, and Micro-transactions, and games as a service
  • Posted on 19 May 21 at 04:59
    No problem for me. Just more broken,buggy and dlc filled Bethesda AAA garbage. I'll pick all the Bethesda Xbox games in 5 years when they are 9.99$ new, fully patched and with all dlc included.
    I am an a$$hole. Deal with it.
  • Posted on 19 May 21 at 09:09
    AstonMatinDBS said:
    BurningGod said:
    They don't at the moment. Microsoft makes so much money that Xbox GamePass losses are but a drop in the ocean. The long-term goal, in my opinion, is to create an monopoly using their wealth. If Starfield, for example, were on gamepass but £70 on PS, very few are going to be buying on PS for much longer. If they can force PS out the market in this way, then eating the cost now will be nothing compared to every fiscally savvy gamer switching to xbox. Then they can up the price whenever they want to start earning $$$ again.
    Obviously it's a strategy to increase market share. But I don't think they're trying to (or need to) force PS out of the market. They're trying to establish Game Pass as a money maker.

It's often compared to Netflix - which costs less per month than buying a single movie (or box set.) But it works because of the sheer number of subscribers. And MS has said often enough that Game Pass subscribers actually buy more content than non-subscribers do. (Buying games to keep when they leave GP, more DLC for more games because the games themselves are "free.")

For people on these hardcore gaming sites it's usually hard to believe, but most people do not spend $120 on games every year. Meanwhile $10 a month seems like a bargain, so they sign up, whether they play a lot or not.
  • Posted on 19 May 21 at 09:46, Edited on 19 May 21 at 09:47 by Prem-aka-Prince
    AstonMatinDBS said:
    BurningGod said:
    ... The long-term goal, in my opinion, is to create an monopoly using their wealth. If Starfield, for example, were on gamepass but £70 on PS, very few are going to be buying on PS for much longer. If they can force PS out the market in this way, then eating the cost now will be nothing compared to every fiscally savvy gamer switching to xbox. Then they can up the price whenever they want to start earning $$$ again.
    It's an interesting question. BurningGod, to answer you first, using this [https://gamingshift.com/how-much-money-does-the-average-pers... ] third party analysis I cite two key numbers: Americans spent $36 billion on gaming software and there were 200 million American gamers in the same year, 2018. That approximates to $180 per gamer per year spent on software.

"Game Pass" may be $120 per year, but this standard single-platform service does not include gold, which is $60 per year (or double that if buying monthly). Game Pass Ultimate is priced at $180 per year, which not only makes obvious sense for anyone needing online access, but is also available on a monthly basis, includes both console and PC, and EA play (basic).

Long story short the only sensible proposition if buying game pass is priced at $180 per year, which is the average (mean) spend per american gamer on software - therefore (coming back to what AstonMartinDBS said) if Microsoft captures that they are going to do pretty well on revenue while going a long way towards capturing the market - like Netflix back when it had no real competitors.

Kes I think you are a little over-optimistic in your conclusions that they will gain anything more than just the subscriptions market, as Xbox Series Essex is still being outpaced by PS5 2:1... I would say it is more a case of Microsoft throwing money at the problem to survive, rather than to dominate. The Xbox platform has very little distinguishing merit (USP) on a hardware *or* software side (unlike Nintendo).
    I never change, except in my affections.
  • Posted on 19 May 21 at 13:31
    SolaceCreed said:
    superniceguy_2 said:
    Gameplato said:

I have not liked the way PS made a lot of stuff exclusive over Xbox, and I do not think they would have had the money to buy Bethesda or gone that big but Xbox are just flip flopping and doing whatever to get people to join but also alienating long time loyal fans in the process.

They are ignoring Gold users and just promoting Game Pass. I have been with Xbox since day one with 17 solid years Gold tenure, which only counts if subscribed, so unsubbed on and off for 2-3 years. Now they are just ramming game pass down our throats and I am getting sick of it. If 12 months subs are not available when it expires later this year, then I will not be subbing to Gold or Game Pass or Ultimate, not paying month on month. Over the years I own 800 digital games plus loads more physical so not much need for Game Pass.

At least PS still offer deals for PS+ and PS NOW, so it makes it easier to stay subscribed now. Hopefully next month they will offer them for £29.85 / £34.99 each like last year through Days of Play.

The ideal situation for Xbox would be to make the Bethesfa games that were on PS available in Game Pass and would not ever come to PS plus or PS NOW but purchaseable for maybe more than Xbox and deals on the games would be rare and not as good as on Xbox too, then they would keep to their slogan “Xbox best place to play” Xbox can not be the best place to play if it is only on Xbox as have no choice.

Plus also get Bethesda to create new IPs to rival Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Death Stranding, God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, Bloodborne, Ratchet and Clank etc

Microsoft clearly have no game development talent unlike Sony or Nintendo, just throw money about and buy up studios and take mass loads of games away from PS instead of the odd game here and there that PS have done.

MS should hire more developers for their existing studios and create more new IPs, 343 could create a new franchise other than Halo, which would interest me more than another Halo, like Guerrilla stopped with Killzone and did Horizon Zero Dawn.

They have not even managed to get another Forza out for 2019 and 2020, when before Game Pass a new Forza released each year for the past decade.

If Starfield is Xbox only I do not see people going to get a Xbox or a PC just for it, nobody knows what its like, but people who have enjoyed the other long time games may be tempted to get a Xbox or a PC to play them, but for me it is all the false talk that puts me off completely. I found article on Eurogamer from Bethesda saying that they hope next gen will be about cross play and that people on PS and Xbox can play together, but now not only can they not play together but PS people can not play at all.

For people on Xbox only what do they care if it is on PS as well? Is it not enough they taunt that game pass owners play the game for free when PS pay £70 or whatever?

If Bethesda does not get enough revenue now from the loss of PS players, then the quality of the games will decline. Xbox exclusive games no where near match the quality of PS exclusives as it is.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.