Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

No Man's Sky's free Expeditions update is available now

• CoreyST66CoreyST66607,595
    Posted on 02 April 21 at 05:40
    Does this game continue to sell well or is it subsidized from something else? They've been pumping out free DLC and no micro-transactions for a long time now; I'd think that's a tough business model. Not that I'm complaining; just makes me wonder if they're pulling a loss and hoping the goodwill eventually translates to sales of some future title or if they actually keep pulling in revenue from this game.
  • soliunasmsoliunasm463,016
    Posted on 03 April 21 at 08:47, Edited on 03 April 21 at 08:49 by soliunasm
    CoreyST66 said:
    Does this game continue to sell well or is it subsidized from something else? They've been pumping out free DLC and no micro-transactions for a long time now; I'd think that's a tough business model. Not that I'm complaining; just makes me wonder if they're pulling a loss and hoping the goodwill eventually translates to sales of some future title or if they actually keep pulling in revenue from this game.
    Considering it's been selling at mostly full price on every storefront with discounts only down to roughly $40 ever since its launch and they've gotten a bunch of goodwill from keeping the patches coming it's most likely that whatever deal they did with Sony for the initial launch paired with launch sales and then all these post-update sales they're set for a long time to allow them to keep updating the game. It seemed like it was a passion project for Sean in particular since I believe he stated in one or two interviews this was the kind of game he wanted so that probably adds to them dedicating more time to it.

Hello Games is also a fairly small company (Only 26 total employees according to Google) so I'm sure they can coast fairly well on goodwill and the reasonable entry price. Getting access to the Xbox side of things also helped them I'm sure since they were Sony and PC only for quite a while.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed601,330
    Posted on 03 April 21 at 15:34
    soliunasm said:
    CoreyST66 said:
    Considering it's been selling at mostly full price on every storefront with discounts only down to roughly $40 ever since its launch and they've gotten a bunch of goodwill from keeping the patches coming it's most likely that whatever deal they did with Sony for the initial launch paired with launch sales and then all these post-update sales they're set for a long time to allow them to keep updating the game. It seemed like it was a passion project for Sean in particular since I believe he stated in one or two interviews this was the kind of game he wanted so that probably adds to them dedicating more time to it.

Hello Games is also a fairly small company (Only 26 total employees according to Google) so I'm sure they can coast fairly well on goodwill and the reasonable entry price. Getting access to the Xbox side of things also helped them I'm sure since they were Sony and PC only for quite a while.
    They've probably used some of the momey from Last Campfire towards it too, but you're right, tapping in to the Xbox market at the end of the timed exclusivity probably helped. Sony's stupidly optimistic marketing didn't help them from the start.

Fans did crowd fund for them back in 2019 as well, so that probably helped a little that fans still have their backs.
    Xbox caught race to 400,000TT begins.
  • KGI_KlikoNLKGI_KlikoNL134,350
    Posted on 04 September 21 at 06:32, Edited on 04 September 21 at 06:33 by KGI_KlikoNL
    some systems are pretty crowded, so wonder how that will be with putting this in. Like overlapping with your base, etc.

Ohh wait, this not the news-post about last update.
    Started gaming on NES, before it was Retro [laugh].
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.