Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Microsoft acquires ZeniMax/Bethesda for $7.5 billion

  • PorthMinsterPorthMinster252,389
  • Posted on 21 September 20 at 18:57
    Lets hope it doesn't stop future fallouts or elder scrolls for PlayStation. So many games get screwed when you have to buy a whole new platform to play a sequel.
  • TheMikeSCTheMikeSC141,958
    Posted on 21 September 20 at 19:51
    Cannot imagine MS paying that much money to do multi platform. There would be very little benefit to them in doing so.
  • RoboPondRoboPond26,550
    Posted on 21 September 20 at 20:14, Edited on 21 September 20 at 20:57 by RoboPond
    TheMikeSC said:
    Cannot imagine MS paying that much money to do multi platform. There would be very little benefit to them in doing so.
    It makes more sense for them to release multi platform. Aside from them saying they will go on a case by case basis, and that they are honouring the exclusive deals for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo for PS5.

    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993

    Also they will make more money. Sure they might fav the Xbox so it might get more exclusives and such but they own the developer and most likely the publisher so any PS sales they make money on.

    Also people seem to be forgetting MS own Obsidian and they released The Outer Worlds SP and DLC on PS4. Also Minecraft is still supported.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed377,522
    Posted on 21 September 20 at 21:25
    RoboPond said:
    TheMikeSC said:
    Cannot imagine MS paying that much money to do multi platform. There would be very little benefit to them in doing so.
    It makes more sense for them to release multi platform. Aside from them saying they will go on a case by case basis, and that they are honouring the exclusive deals for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo for PS5.

    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993

    Also they will make more money. Sure they might fav the Xbox so it might get more exclusives and such but they own the developer and most likely the publisher so any PS sales they make money on.

    Also people seem to be forgetting MS own Obsidian and they released The Outer Worlds SP and DLC on PS4. Also Minecraft is still supported.
    As someone on my friendfeed said, it's more likely all going to be timed exclusivity for Xbox to try to push more consoles.
    Trying to catch my 6year Xbox total in half the time on PS.
  • TheMikeSCTheMikeSC141,958
    Posted on 21 September 20 at 22:04
    RoboPond said:
    TheMikeSC said:
    Cannot imagine MS paying that much money to do multi platform. There would be very little benefit to them in doing so.
    It makes more sense for them to release multi platform. Aside from them saying they will go on a case by case basis, and that they are honouring the exclusive deals for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo for PS5.

    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993

    Also they will make more money. Sure they might fav the Xbox so it might get more exclusives and such but they own the developer and most likely the publisher so any PS sales they make money on.

    Also people seem to be forgetting MS own Obsidian and they released The Outer Worlds SP and DLC on PS4. Also Minecraft is still supported.
    It makes as much sense as Sony putting out their stuff multi platform, which they aren't going to do nor would anybody expect them to do so.

    The deals for Outer Worlds and the Bethesda deals were made before purchase so they had to honor prior obligations. Going forward, if they were wise, they'd not multi platform much of anything. Sony wouldn't and MS should follow that plan.
  • Posted on 21 September 20 at 22:47
    Platinum_Dodo said:
    Lets hope it doesn't stop future fallouts or elder scrolls for PlayStation. So many games get screwed when you have to buy a whole new platform to play a sequel.
    Gee, just like anyone with an Xbox having to buy a PS to play all those exclusive sequels?
  • TheMikeSCTheMikeSC141,958
    Posted on 22 September 20 at 00:34
    Johnny_Broflex said:
    Platinum_Dodo said:
    Lets hope it doesn't stop future fallouts or elder scrolls for PlayStation. So many games get screwed when you have to buy a whole new platform to play a sequel.
    Gee, just like anyone with an Xbox having to buy a PS to play all those exclusive sequels?
    Indeed. I have both so it's no biggie...but the cheers about Spider-Man being exclusive was a bad move because that was just as anti-consumer.

    Sony's biggest benefit is that MS doesn't view XBox as a huge deal for their bottom line.
  • PLATINBLAZEPLATINBLAZE161,420
    Posted on 22 September 20 at 06:15
    Man their pockets are deep... roll
    "A person's life is not defined by age, but by the choices they make." - Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5)
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed377,522
    Posted on 22 September 20 at 06:32
    PLATINBLAZE said:
    Man their pockets are deep... roll
    They do make billions a year on PC sales and software. This is just another step to keeping Xbox going.
    Trying to catch my 6year Xbox total in half the time on PS.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc531,634
    Posted on 22 September 20 at 13:31
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.

    Bethesda games are bug riddled, and recently they have been getting greedy with their micro-transactions. So it actually seems like a good fit for Xbox. As they too like to release unfinished buggy games filled with predatory micro-transactions.
    Xbox is hurting gaming. They have made record profits with few games. Shifting focus on adding more & more subscriptions, with 0 exclusives
  • PostmortimusPostmortimus220,886
    Posted on 23 September 20 at 02:17
    This isn't anywhere near as big of news as a lot of sites are making this out to be. Bethesda has been on a decline plus with damn near all their games almost consistently releasing buggy as all hell and their direction towards primarily games-as-a-service model, of course they're going to make a choice like this. Their sales were starting to make a noticeable decline.

    It bothers me even less since I've only played Bethesda games on xbox as is. So on a personal level, this news literally changes nothing for me.

    Maybe with MS, Bethesda's games will start releasing with more polish and less bugs (laugh yeah right laugh)
  • Posted on 23 September 20 at 05:26, Edited on 23 September 20 at 05:26 by A_Tennis_Giraffe
    NxtDoc said:
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.

    Bethesda games are bug riddled, and recently they have been getting greedy with their micro-transactions. So it actually seems like a good fit for Xbox. As they too like to release unfinished buggy games filled with predatory micro-transactions.
    This literally made me LOL - we really need a like button on here laugh
    Hope for the best but expect the worst.
  • Posted on 23 September 20 at 05:43
    PLATINBLAZE said:
    Man their pockets are deep... roll
    With as they say 65 million active users, all buying 3 month cards a whole year is earning 5.2 billion dollars, from Xbox LIVE Gold only a year.
    PSNprofiles has too many unkind members, so wasn't something for me.
  • Posted on 23 September 20 at 05:46, Edited on 23 September 20 at 05:55 by KGI_KlikoNL
    A_Tennis_Giraffe said:
    NxtDoc said:
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform. Bethesda games are bug riddled, and recently they have been getting greedy with their micro-transactions. So it actually seems like a good fit for Xbox. As they too like to release unfinished buggy games filled with predatory micro-transactions.
    This literally made me LOL - we really need a like button on here laugh
    Fallout 76 was awefull on release yeah, Skyrim I never had any major issue (lucky me), only 1 dragon spinning circle's. Older Fallouts also not, but maybe didn't play them on release.

    But Forza Motorsport 7 was so broken. And Forza Motorsport 5 was only a half game compaired to FM4. They rushed that game to be available on release Xbox One.
    PSNprofiles has too many unkind members, so wasn't something for me.
  • Posted on 23 September 20 at 05:51, Edited on 23 September 20 at 05:56 by KGI_KlikoNL
    NxtDoc said:
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.
    Frrom already existing games, they can't change, but new things, depends on contract. The case by case part, do wurries me.

    Or they make new IP's for Xbox only and current IP's like Fallout and TES keeps multi. Or we on PS will not have TES6, in then most positive case, 6 months later, with a chance on, never.
    PSNprofiles has too many unkind members, so wasn't something for me.
  • Posted on 23 September 20 at 09:34
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    NxtDoc said:
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.
    Frrom already existing games, they can't change, but new things, depends on contract. The case by case part, do wurries me.

    Or they make new IP's for Xbox only and current IP's like Fallout and TES keeps multi. Or we on PS will not have TES6, in then most positive case, 6 months later, with a chance on, never.
    Probably something like this. I'd imagine the established IPs will continue to be released multi-platform, maybe as "timed exclusives" on Xbox first, and they'll also create some new IPs which will be Xbox exclusives (console/PC/xCloud.)

    Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein are too big/popular to limit the potential customers to Xbox only. I'm sure they'll want those piles of cash from the Sony and Nintendo faithfuls.
  • Posted on 23 September 20 at 10:01, Edited on 23 September 20 at 10:06 by KGI_KlikoNL
    SilentJay76_ said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    NxtDoc said:
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.
    Frrom already existing games, they can't change, but new things, depends on contract. The case by case part, do wurries me.

    Or they make new IP's for Xbox only and current IP's like Fallout and TES keeps multi. Or we on PS will not have TES6, in then most positive case, 6 months later, with a chance on, never.
    Probably something like this. I'd imagine the established IPs will continue to be released multi-platform, maybe as "timed exclusives" on Xbox first, and they'll also create some new IPs which will be Xbox exclusives (console/PC/xCloud.)

    Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein are too big/popular to limit the potential customers to Xbox only. I'm sure they'll want those piles of cash from the Sony and Nintendo faithfuls.
    Then have with Digital Versions have to pay Sony for each sale. By not doing, you have chance that people buy Xbox X/S and the game and not have to pay Sony for the sale.

    EA had rights for Porsche, also made case by case, if others would get license or not. In the end only EA games had Porsches, then Porsche didn't extended the agreement.
    PSNprofiles has too many unkind members, so wasn't something for me.
  • DLchief58DLchief582,618
    Posted on 23 September 20 at 17:28
    TheMikeSC said:
    RoboPond said:
    TheMikeSC said:
    Cannot imagine MS paying that much money to do multi platform. There would be very little benefit to them in doing so.
    It makes more sense for them to release multi platform. Aside from them saying they will go on a case by case basis, and that they are honouring the exclusive deals for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo for PS5.

    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1308062702905044993

    Also they will make more money. Sure they might fav the Xbox so it might get more exclusives and such but they own the developer and most likely the publisher so any PS sales they make money on.

    Also people seem to be forgetting MS own Obsidian and they released The Outer Worlds SP and DLC on PS4. Also Minecraft is still supported.
    It makes as much sense as Sony putting out their stuff multi platform, which they aren't going to do nor would anybody expect them to do so.

    The deals for Outer Worlds and the Bethesda deals were made before purchase so they had to honor prior obligations. Going forward, if they were wise, they'd not multi platform much of anything. Sony wouldn't and MS should follow that plan.
    You are stuck in the same old school mindset and believe the myth that exclusives are big console movers (when statistics show otherwise, most garnering less than 1% of the installed base outside of the big guns, those reaching 10 % tops). As they did with Minecraft (and the spin off Minecraft Dungeons) they will capitalize on the popularity of the games and profit off the competition by leaving the majority of big, established franchises multiplatform (hence them keeping the Bethesda publishing arm as well). This will continue the customer friendly front and open gaming platform they've built since Spencer took over. And what better way to stick it to your competitor than to profit off their customers? However I see a few titles wil become exclusives, most of the lesser profile ones and very possibly new IPs...I could very well see Starfield become an exclusive even if it is only a timed one.

    As I said you are stuck in the old school way of thinking, just as SONY and many Japanese developers are. Had SONY bought Zenimax, then yes every one of those IPs would become exclusive....because that is what SONY does.
  • DLchief58DLchief582,618
    Posted on 23 September 20 at 17:31
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    SilentJay76_ said:
    KGI_KlikoNL said:
    NxtDoc said:
    From the way it was worded it sounds like they will remain multi-platform.
    Frrom already existing games, they can't change, but new things, depends on contract. The case by case part, do wurries me.

    Or they make new IP's for Xbox only and current IP's like Fallout and TES keeps multi. Or we on PS will not have TES6, in then most positive case, 6 months later, with a chance on, never.
    Probably something like this. I'd imagine the established IPs will continue to be released multi-platform, maybe as "timed exclusives" on Xbox first, and they'll also create some new IPs which will be Xbox exclusives (console/PC/xCloud.)

    Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein are too big/popular to limit the potential customers to Xbox only. I'm sure they'll want those piles of cash from the Sony and Nintendo faithfuls.
    Then have with Digital Versions have to pay Sony for each sale. By not doing, you have chance that people buy Xbox X/S and the game and not have to pay Sony for the sale.

    EA had rights for Porsche, also made case by case, if others would get license or not. In the end only EA games had Porsches, then Porsche didn't extended the agreement.
    LOL, check your facts on that as EA did in fact sublicense Porsche to several games, including the Forza series. When the Porsche pack was added as DLC EA still retained the Porsche rights.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.