Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

Update: Spider-Man Miles Morales might be "an expansion" instead of a full game

• CanezzaCanezza74,208
  • Posted on 11 June 20 at 20:40
    Wow that was fast writing!
    I love this announcement, Miles was great as the protagonist in Into the Spider-Verse, and seeing him in Spider-Man PS4 (which was one of my favourite games of current gen) clearly set him up for the series... but even I'm surprised to see him taking over the lead immediately! Great stuff, and sure to keep the series moving forward (both in story arc and gameplay) from the very first opportunity.
    I never change, except in my affections.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc586,773
    Posted on 11 June 20 at 22:35, Edited on 11 June 20 at 23:09 by NxtDoc
    I am both excited and disappointed about this announcement. I think the pushed the Miles Morales a bit too fast.... I mean we couldn't get a another Spider Man with Peter Parker as the main protagonist? With several missions where you train him? Kind of like how Arkham Knight has Nightwing come in and you could fight as both?

What is the rush with getting Miles in? Such a missed opportunity.

EDIT: I hope it is a stand alone expansion. Similar to inFamous: Festival of Blood
    Xbox is ruining gaming. They have made record profits with no games. Shifting focus on adding more & more subscriptions, with a lack of content.
  • ShyGuyDYShyGuyDY62,971
    Posted on 12 June 20 at 04:47
    Question, is this a full game, DLC for the first game or a stand-alone expansion? Also is this gonna be on the PS4 cause I need it hooked to my vains and I'm not buying a PS5 yet.
  • Posted on 12 June 20 at 07:25
    NxtDutch said:
    I am both excited and disappointed about this announcement. I think the pushed the Miles Morales a bit too fast.... I mean we couldn't get a another Spider Man with Peter Parker as the main protagonist? With several missions where you train him? Kind of like how Arkham Knight has Nightwing come in and you could fight as both?

Okay, I understand the feeling, I know Miles isn't anywhere near as beloved a name as the household Peter Parker. Especially after so many great movie adaptations that would have been a part of many of our childhoods.

But on the console scene, I looked back across the PlayStation years (only going back 20 years, though spider-man games have been around since the 80's). If I'm not mistaken Peter had starred in 13, now 14 Spider-Man games on PlayStation (not counting all the Marvel games where it's presumably the peter version that appears).

There are 20+ different versions of Spider-Man (like Batman, and Sherlock Holmes...), so why does it always have to be Peter? He is charming, earnest, and loyal, but does the 15th PS game really have to be him to be good?

Ultimately I know it's reader's choice to give it a chance, but remember that it's made as a direct sequel by the same developers that made the game you love, I'm appealing to you not to dismiss it just because the story arc took a leap.
    "That's all it is Miles... a leap of faith."

p.s. If you haven't seen Into the Spider-Verse, I highly recommend it.
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 12 June 20 at 11:15
    Prem-aka-Prince said:
    NxtDutch said:

Okay, I understand the feeling, I know Miles isn't anywhere near as beloved a name as the household Peter Parker. Especially after so many great movie adaptations that would have been a part of many of our childhoods.

But on the console scene, I looked back across the PlayStation years (only going back 20 years, though spider-man games have been around since the 80's). If I'm not mistaken Peter had starred in 13, now 14 Spider-Man games on PlayStation (not counting all the Marvel games where it's presumably the peter version that appears).

There are 20+ different versions of Spider-Man (like Batman, and Sherlock Holmes...), so why does it always have to be Peter? He is charming, earnest, and loyal, but does the 15th PS game really have to be him to be good?

Ultimately I know it's reader's choice to give it a chance, but remember that it's made as a direct sequel by the same developers that made the game you love, I'm appealing to you not to dismiss it just because the story arc took a leap.
    "That's all it is Miles... a leap of faith."

p.s. If you haven't seen Into the Spider-Verse, I highly recommend it.
    Nightwing will never get a game though, he's too boring on his own even in the comics he bores the tits off me.

At least Miles has some sort of a personality. Plus, I'd assume that Into the spider-verse being a cannon part of Sony's Spider-verse (not the MCU version), that it could even be used to bridge the gap in the writing. Peter moaning about Uncle Ben for the 20th game in a row is also going to be annoying.

The only reason to keep Peter around (IMO) is to throw Deadpool in to a storyline with him, but since Disney now own Fox, that's unlikely.
    Trying to catch my 6year Xbox total in half the time on PS.
  • Mini-MyselfMini-Myself343,812
    Posted on 12 June 20 at 12:05, Edited on 12 June 20 at 20:34 by Mini-Myself
    For the people who don't know: This is a remaster of the PS4 game with an added expansion focussing on Miles becoming the next Spider-Man.

Edit: I have been corrected by @Prem-aka-Prince
    Posted on 12 June 20 at 17:24
    Based on the Update.

So, this is a disappointment if true.
  • Posted on 12 June 20 at 19:14
    Mini-Myself said:
    For the people who don't know: This is a remaster of the PS4 game with an added expansion focussing on Miles becoming the next Spider-Man.
    For those of you who are misinformed, it's just an expansion.
  • Posted on 12 June 20 at 20:08
    I know a lot of sites have drawn their conclusions based on some fumblings from a Sony business executive, but Insomniac Games have themselves specified, in response:
    Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales is the next adventure in the Marvel's Spider-Man universe. We will reveal more about this standalone game at a future date.
    https://twitter.com/insomniacgames/status/127146823288142233...
    With further clarification:
    It is a standalone game [x4]
    I believe it is similar to Uncharted Lost Legacy, or Infamous First Light.
    Posted on 13 June 20 at 02:23
    I want a SpiderPig game, Goddamn it.
  • Posted on 13 June 20 at 04:09
    NxtDutch said:

EDIT: I hope it is a stand alone expansion. Similar to inFamous: Festival of Blood
    There is still a sequel to spiderman in the works. This isn't a sequel
  • Posted on 13 June 20 at 22:41
    SolaceCreed said:
    At least Miles has some sort of a personality. Plus, I'd assume that Into the spider-verse being a cannon part of Sony's Spider-verse (not the MCU version), that it could even be used to bridge the gap in the writing.
    Having a Spider-verse tie in could be cool. With the different power set that Miles has compared to Peter, this could make for some interesting gameplay mechanics. Hell, it could even give us a little Spider-Man stealth with Mile's ability to camouflage.
    - But that's just my 2¢ HyurleBalverine
    Posted on 13 June 20 at 22:48
    HyruleBalverine said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    At least Miles has some sort of a personality. Plus, I'd assume that Into the spider-verse being a cannon part of Sony's Spider-verse (not the MCU version), that it could even be used to bridge the gap in the writing.
    Having a Spider-verse tie in could be cool. With the different power set that Miles has compared to Peter, this could make for some interesting gameplay mechanics. Hell, it could even give us a little Spider-Man stealth with Mile's ability to camouflage.
    Exactly my thoughts.
  • Posted on 14 June 20 at 14:45
    they should either give up on this or make a spider-verse game.

parker is, and always will be, spider-man.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc586,773
    Posted on 14 June 20 at 19:40
    IceBlazeWinters said:

My thoughts exactly.
    Xbox is ruining gaming. They have made record profits with no games. Shifting focus on adding more & more subscriptions, with a lack of content.
    Posted on 16 June 20 at 06:00
    NxtDutch said:
    IceBlazeWinters said:

My thoughts exactly.
    Eh, if there was going to be a superhero game that has this sort of set up. I'd rather see it be Batman. A game based on RIP and Final Crisis Batman(men) would be amazing.
  • NxtDocNxtDoc586,773
    Posted on 17 June 20 at 04:22
    SolaceCreed said:
    NxtDutch said:
    IceBlazeWinters said:

My thoughts exactly.
    Eh, if there was going to be a superhero game that has this sort of set up. I'd rather see it be Batman. A game based on RIP and Final Crisis Batman(men) would be amazing.
    For sure, I think he was just implying that either go full Spider-Verse or not at all. We just want a fully fleshed out great Peter Parker Spider-Man trilogy or Saga. We've never had it. Then, as I said in my prior post. As the trilogy winds down, and Padker gets older then bring in Miles.

I just don't understand the rush to have Mikes be Spider-Man. But we will see
  • Posted on 24 June 20 at 01:11
    NxtDutch said:
    SolaceCreed said:
    NxtDutch said:
    IceBlazeWinters said:

My thoughts exactly.
    For sure, I think he was just implying that either go full Spider-Verse or not at all. We just want a fully fleshed out great Peter Parker Spider-Man trilogy or Saga. We've never had it. Then, as I said in my prior post. As the trilogy winds down, and Padker gets older then bring in Miles.

I just don't understand the rush to have Mikes be Spider-Man. But we will see
    it's all about that pandering to get publicity and more money
  • Posted on 24 June 20 at 01:40
    IceBlazeWinters said:
    it's all about that pandering to get publicity and more money
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they added Nightwing and Catwoman as playable characters in the Arkham games. Were they pandering then or is it only pandering if the character isn't white? There have been lots, LOTS, of Spider-Man games over the years. Sure a fair percentage of them weren't good, but Peter Parker has been in a ton of games. Why is it a bad thing to add another playable Spider character with a different skill set (or even make him the main character)? Personally, I look forward to getting to play as Miles.
    - But that's just my 2¢ HyurleBalverine
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads