Playstation Help

Do you have a problem with your Playstation devices? Post it in here, and someone might be able to help you. Also always make sure to check your regional Playstation website, such as us.playstation.com

Getting shut down screen when starting a game

• DougAScottDougAScott219,567
    Posted on 10 May 20 at 23:24
    Our PS4 has become astoundingly slow lately (bordering on 10 minutes to start-up, massive lag in the games), so I decided to run the rebuild database options. It’s now marginally less slow, but every time I start a game, it sits there for a bit before shutting itself down, complete with standard shut down screen. Tried rebuilding database again with no change.

I’ve only owned the thing since February 2019. It is possible that it’s somehow already died on me? cry
  • GAMERJETGAMERJET577,067
    Posted on 11 May 20 at 03:47
    Might need a new HDD
    True Trophies Senior Moderator - https://www.truetrophies.com/stafflist.aspx
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 11 May 20 at 20:27
    DougAScott said:
    Our PS4 has become astoundingly slow lately (bordering on 10 minutes to start-up, massive lag in the games), so I decided to run the rebuild database options. It’s now marginally less slow, but every time I start a game, it sits there for a bit before shutting itself down, complete with standard shut down screen. Tried rebuilding database again with no change.

I’ve only owned the thing since February 2019. It is possible that it’s somehow already died on me? cry
    Which model do you have
    OG, Slim or Pro?

There's a few reasons for it, but if it persists, the only thing to do would be to contact Sony or take it to a repair shop.

1) Internal hard drive is almost full.
    • Connect an external drive and move all game data over to the external hard drive. Restart the console and see if that helps.
    • Get a bigger HDD internal drive.

2) Impropper Game installation
    If the problem happened after a game install
    • Uninstall and reinstall the last game on the hard drive to be installed.

If this doesn't work.
    • Uninstall the game again
    • Run the database rebuild
    • Reinstall the game.

If it continues, you may need to either try the next step or carefully uninstall your games and reinstall everything unt the problem is found to have been fixed (but I'd do the former)

Next step you may want to use as an last resort, but I'd contact Sony first before looking at this
    3) Interupted system update
    If the last update to the PS4 system was interupt by an power outage/Router interuption.
    The best thing there would be to a factory reset and then redownload the updates from scratch.

• You can also (perhaps a better solution for this) Try to reinstall the last update and see if that works. If not, step 2 may still be a problem. Uninstall that game completely and then see if the reinstalled uodate works correctly.

4) Faulty HDD drive.
    As I said above, your HDD drive could be screwed
    This is probably one of the most common, particularly with OG consoles, that the problem occurs.

The only way to solve this would to be buying a new HDD drive and replacing it.
    link hidden

5) A rare reason
    Internet connection is slow.

• Try restarting your modem
    • Try disconnecting the console from your wireless network and reconnecting it
    • Try setting it up on a wired connection
    • Disable other forms of tech on the network
    ?Phones
    ?TVs
    ?Other consoles
    ?Laptops and iPads

6) External HD fault.

Try disconnecting the External Hard Drive and seeing if that speeds up the machine itself. If the External drive has encountered an error. Not even a database rebuild can help with that.

7) Impropper download of system update
    • under settings use "Initialise PS4 system" instead of rebuilding the database, this will delete and reinstall the last update performed.
    This seems to affect Slim consoles more often than the other two.

Also, have you tried booting the system in safe mode and seeing if it runs effectively in that state? If it does, it's likely to be a HDD or System download fault.
    When an Xbox breaks down a PS4 opens its doors.
  • DougAScottDougAScott219,567
    Posted on 17 May 20 at 21:12
    After trying all the things, I replaced the hard drive and everything went well again. Thanks all!
  • SolaceCreedSolaceCreed702,161
    Posted on 18 May 20 at 04:46
    DougAScott said:
    After trying all the things, I replaced the hard drive and everything went well again. Thanks all!
    No problems. I've found those steps invaluable in the past with my previous machine. In the end I got it swapped for a slim and never had an issue with that machine for neaely four years near.
    When an Xbox breaks down a PS4 opens its doors.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads