Forum for the Hangman 2020 Contest

Hangman 2020 Discussion

• erod550erod550135,703
    Posted on 11 May 20 at 03:26, Edited on 11 May 20 at 03:45 by erod550
    BeardedScot86 said:
    WalllessFury said:
    how do you get vita trophies to count towards hangman?
    The vita must be online when the trophy is unlocked so it gets timestamped. Then you need to sync them to the site without syncing another consoles trophies. If you sync them out of order then the site sees it as old trophies and doesn't count them. This is to avoid people holding trophies back for a challenge and syncing them late.
    There's something else going on there. I have been very diligent about making sure I sync my trophies as soon as I unlock them. I started my latest puzzle last night and about 15-30 minutes later unlocked the first letter on my Vita (which I haven't had a problem with on quite a few other letters so far). Went downstairs to my PS4 and unlocked all but the last two letters, which I unlocked today. I go to check it and the L from my Vita trophy never counted. I know that I immediately synched with PSN after I unlocked it, and it's not out of order on the TT scan order, so I have no idea why it didn't count it. Sucks too cause it was a brand new game I started specifically for that letter and now I have to go find another game that has one available.

https://i.imgur.com/gjudkyM.png

I through V in The Swapper were unlocked previously for a different puzzle, but because of the grouping they look like they were unlocked after the Furmins trophy. But the order was actually:

Learning the Ropes
    VI
    Sandstorm
    One Odd Sock

with a sync to PSN after every unlock, but for some reason Learning the Ropes didn't count as a Hangman guess. This is the second time this has happened to me and it's really dampening my enjoyment of the contest. And I just spent $45 for 2 years of Pro specifically for this contest cause I needed more scans so this kind of problem wouldn't happen again.

Guess that was a mistake and actually made the problem worse, because say I'm playing a game for 30 minutes and unlock two trophies while playing and a Pro scan happens in between the two trophies. If I didn't stop playing to synch the first trophy, when the synch to PSN does happen, one trophy will be before the last scan and therefore won't count. At least change it to 12 hours or something, or even 24 hours because non-pro people only get auto-scanned once a day, but not just the last 1 scan which might have only been 30 minutes ago. That would still protect against people popping days or weeks worth of trophies at the end of a contest but wouldn't screw over regular people not doing anything wrong.
  • Nelson-HellierNelson-Hellier1,109,623
    Posted on 11 May 20 at 06:58
    My current puzzle has nineteen unique characters, and is therefore unfailable.
    Look after the bronzes, and the platinums will look after themselves.
  • ArcticCressArcticCress866,037
    Posted on 11 May 20 at 18:56
    The challenges are hidden if you go to each person's Hangman challenge page, but you can still see each person's first phrase if you check their completed challenges page. Don't believe this was intended, at least.
  • WalllessFuryWalllessFury278,166
    Posted on 12 May 20 at 22:11
    I see there is an option to see trophies we need in games we have, is there an option an option to check in games we dont have? I feel helpless asking friends for all the random letters lol
  • erod550erod550135,703
    Posted on 12 May 20 at 23:13, Edited on 12 May 20 at 23:13 by erod550
    WalllessFury said:
    I see there is an option to see trophies we need in games we have, is there an option an option to check in games we dont have? I feel helpless asking friends for all the random letters lol
    https://www.truetrophies.com/playstationtrophies.aspx?easy=1...

Replace the letter at the end of the URL with whatever you're looking for. I used this to find a Ratalaika game that had the letter I needed as the first trophy, heh.
  • Posted on 13 May 20 at 05:11
    I love this game/event
    Posted on 16 May 20 at 10:45
    I was hoping to just take things easy this weekend with a relatively comfortable lead... but the intense battle raging on just below for second place has me concerned.

In order to get a quick E trophy, I played a game with a literal starting class of 'Hentai Fiend'. My soul is stained, and I will probably have to kill myself if I don't win.

Given the lockdown and instruments at my immediate disposable, probably by hanging. Ironic. But don't let my possible need to commit harakiri overshadow the fun I am sure we have all had.

Here is to us, the people at TT who made this all possible, and going hard for the next six days.
  • erod550erod550135,703
    Posted on 16 May 20 at 20:24, Edited on 16 May 20 at 20:26 by erod550
    I'm trying to break into the top 3 but those two just stay a couple steps ahead all the time. My PlayStation library is less than 1/3 the size of my Xbox library so it is getting very difficult to find certain letters that are in every puzzle that don't require unlocking a bunch of unwanted letters first. I also work from home so I don't actually have any extra time during quarantine. If anything we've been busier lately which is really cutting into my gaming time. :\
    Posted on 17 May 20 at 14:39, Edited on 17 May 20 at 14:41 by WalllessFury
    okay here was my first trophy/letter not unlocking problem. I had won "Everything's going to be okay" Trophy from The Walking Dead Vita, made sure to sync my PSN trophies first to the site, then synced the vita to PSN, then to the site, it read it on the site, but hangman doesn't acknowledge the E?
  • Posted on 17 May 20 at 17:59
    WalllessFury said:
    okay here was my first trophy/letter not unlocking problem. I had won "Everything's going to be okay" Trophy from The Walking Dead Vita, made sure to sync my PSN trophies first to the site, then synced the vita to PSN, then to the site, it read it on the site, but hangman doesn't acknowledge the E?
    To clarify, when you say "made sure to sync my PSN trophies first to the site", do you mean, you unlocked "Everything's going to be okay" on Vita, then synced trophies from your PS4 to the site, then synced the trophy on the Vita to PSN and then the site?

If so, that will cause it to not count.

The only way to get it to count from Vita is to unlock and sync it to the site, without syncing any other trophies.

The reason it wouldn't count is if the site sees the trophy as being unlocked in the past, prior to newer trophies that have arrived. Basically, if using a Vita, make sure you are not doing any other trophy hunting / syncing until you have synced the Vita unlocks.

The same works for PS3, if you were to unlock those and sync them in later than newer PS4 trophies. The PS4 is exempt from this as the PS4 automatically syncs to PSN on unlock, so it shouldn't be possible (unless you play with the PS4 offline, then you could cause this scenario also)

Hope that helps and isn't confusing
    Posted on 17 May 20 at 18:16
    I dont think I did it that way, I think when I do vita trophies, I have already synced everything from PS4 first. then do the trophy
  • erod550erod550135,703
    Posted on 17 May 20 at 22:35, Edited on 17 May 20 at 22:35 by erod550
    WalllessFury said:
    I dont think I did it that way, I think when I do vita trophies, I have already synced everything from PS4 first. then do the trophy
    You want to go to the Vita trophy app as soon as you pop the trophy on the Vita. Don't do anything with the TT site before you sync to PSN on the Vita (or PS3 or PS4). If you do a scan on this site after you've unlocked the trophy but before you have sync'd to PSN on the Vita or PS4, there is a chance it will not count because the timestamp will be before the previous TT scan. Always sync to PSN immediately to avoid this. I've done over 200 letter guesses and only had 2 instances of letters not counting as guesses by doing it this way and both times were because the TT site did a scan before the trophy got sync'd with PSN on the device.
  • Posted on 18 May 20 at 14:53
    Jesus Nelson, 34.
    Posted on 18 May 20 at 18:39
    The key to being a success in life is taking advantage of opportunities.

It's been pointed out in previous contests, that those with active asocial lives, thriving careers and meaningful relationships are at a disadvantage when it comes to winning on True Trophies.

Covid-19 is the great leveller. It has put us all on an equal footing, and if I didn't make the most of this, it is quite likely that I would have never, ever realised my boyhood dream of winning the hangman competition.

Because one day, and that day will hopefully come soon, everything will go back to normal. We'll go back to our friends, to our offices, to our families.

I'm just glad that I get to do so as a champion.
  • Posted on 18 May 20 at 21:11
    Just wanted to say that the last game I got on Hangman is not a PS game...
    Should't it be?
    Posted on 19 May 20 at 02:37
    Yeah I got Gears of War Judgement too... was wondering
    Posted on 19 May 20 at 10:18, Edited on 19 May 20 at 10:19 by Nelson-Hellier
    It's nice to see Erod having moved up to the podium. Since your previous comment I've been rooting for you, man. I'm also having to continue working from home, so I feel your pain.

It's not going to be any secret that I've really made the most of PS Now. And while it's true there are a couple of games I've started and will likely never play again... there are some real gems I only played for a quick trophy and went on to play for actual fun.

Ninja Pizza Girl, Gravity Rush, House of the Dead 3, 4 and Overkill, Defense Grid 2, Tennis in the Face, Back to Bed and many more.

My completion percentage took a pretty big hit, but I've discovered some cracking games which is really what it's all about.

And then there is Gal Gun. If you need a quick E, and can live with the shame, it's actually quite a fun reskin of House of the Dead.
    Posted on 21 May 20 at 07:50
    I'm not able to start a new puzzle. Clicking the button just reloads the page as is.

I saw on TA that there is some kind of limit that takes into account the times you give up, but having the heart of a champion I obviously haven't had to use it.

I've completed 37 puzzles, which includes 1 duplicate answer, and 1 Xbox exclusive.
  • erod550erod550135,703
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 08:03
    So that’s it right? Locked in at #2? I was about 15 minute away from completing a 30th puzzle too. Tried really hard and stopped worrying about misses and almost got there but just came up short.
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 08:35
    When I checked the leaderboard this morning, I really wasn't expecting to see that. What a fightback, good job.

I hope it's over now though, and that having gone in hard on this I haven't a) burnt myself out for whatever comes next, or b) destroyed any chances of competing at the top of the leaderboards. If it's a spelling one, i'm pretty much screwed.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads