Gaming News

All the latest Playstation and gaming news. Only TT Newshounds can post in this forum.

PS5 full specs revealed including a 10.28 TFLOPs GPU, 825GB Custom SSD and more

• CanezzaCanezza74,208
  • Posted on 18 March 20 at 16:58
    825GB SSD? Xbox has 1TB SSD. Interesting. Still waiting to see what it looks like.
  • Posted on 18 March 20 at 17:05
    Aaaaaaaannnnddddddd they did not show it. What a waste of time.
  • Posted on 18 March 20 at 17:41, Edited on 18 March 20 at 17:42 by ultravioletblade
    i'll be interested in what games do come as backwards compatible, i wonder if it will just sony's own, or, it will be all of the back catalogue drip-fed over a series of months a bit like what Microsoft did
    “ I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”
  • supkrissupkris438,063
    Posted on 18 March 20 at 17:48, Edited on 18 March 20 at 17:48 by supkris
    What a bummer that it’s not even 100% backward compatible with PS4. And I was hoping it would be compatible with ps3 and ps2. The only main feature I was expecting from ps5. Guess they never listen to what gamers want
  • DCM7734DCM773421,188
    Posted on 18 March 20 at 18:00
    Not ps3 or ps2 BC, let alone full ps4? Shit, I might not even buy one now if I can't play all of my PS4 games. I thought that was their whole sellign point on the damn thing!
    Bah Humbug
  • HakuMH4UHakuMH4U443,071
    Posted on 18 March 20 at 18:49, Edited on 18 March 20 at 18:50 by HakuMH4U
    But what about KNACK 3 Cerny?!?!?!
  • extrasafeivyextrasafeivy842,973
    Posted on 18 March 20 at 19:32
    People wanting PS3 BC just don't know how these systems are made. Was never going to happen, research a little before saying PlayStation are letting you down by not offering PS3 compatibility. As for this news, Xbox and PS5 seem very close on specs, with the PS5 a little less powerful which may work out on the price side of things. Price will be the determining factor, if PS5 is £100 less than the Xbox or vice versa we already know who'll get the sales. Developers will create games to the limits of the lesser console so Xbox's extra oomph will only show on their exclusives but will there be a good number? Now those who say the console wars have quietened, wait for it to get louder now.
  • Posted on 18 March 20 at 22:13
    supkris said:
    What a bummer that it’s not even 100% backward compatible with PS4.
    From how I understand it is fully backwards compatible with PS4, however not all games will be able to be played in a "boosted mode".
    Gaelic Flame - Hybrid created from Rathalos and Kushala Daora materials. Its cut is a death sentence
  • MayadomeMayadome523,354
    Posted on 18 March 20 at 22:35, Edited on 18 March 20 at 22:37 by Mayadome
    Seems PS5 will be the weaker console this generation. I'm very curious about the Series S specs as it may match the PS5. Microsoft's storage is much slower than PS5, it will be interesting how multi platform developers compensate for that due to how storage speeds are deeply integrated into the game now. I'm a bit concerned about expandable storage for PS5, PCI-e gen4 is very expensive and offers no solutions without huge heatsinks to cool them. I see it as sort of forward thinking where expandable storage will be cheap and easy in 3-4 years time but on launch and the couple of years following it, Microsoft's memory card-like solution will be much cheaper and easier to use for consumers.

T0NY_HAYABUSA_ said:
    825GB SSD? Xbox has 1TB SSD. Interesting. Still waiting to see what it looks like.
    I wonder if that accounts for OS usage. Series X may have a similar capacity after the OS reserves what it needs.
    Feel The Ether
  • PipsqweekPipsqweek1,979,551
    Posted on 19 March 20 at 07:43
    I found the tech talk extremely interesting, especially about game design where they have to build around the limitations of the hardware.

If they had to build levels with twisty tunnels to compensate for the lack of loading speed, then depending on how complex the designs of new games become, they'll still need to come up with workarounds in future if they hit certain speed constraints.

Coupled with the fact that the Series X IO system throughput is less than half that of the PS5, this could lead to a design issue for multi-platform developers where they have to design to the weakest link otherwise they'll essentially have two very different games.

It's all well and good having a blinding fast SSD and all the Tflops, but if your system can't pass the data quick enough between the 2, you're just strangling them.

If this constraint within the system becomes an issue which stifles developers creativity, then I can see PS5 exclusives sky-rocketing.
  • Posted on 19 March 20 at 11:55
    Mayadome said:
    Seems PS5 will be the weaker console this generation. I'm very curious about the Series S specs as it may match the PS5. Microsoft's storage is much slower than PS5, it will be interesting how multi platform developers compensate for that due to how storage speeds are deeply integrated into the game now. I'm a bit concerned about expandable storage for PS5, PCI-e gen4 is very expensive and offers no solutions without huge heatsinks to cool them. I see it as sort of forward thinking where expandable storage will be cheap and easy in 3-4 years time but on launch and the couple of years following it, Microsoft's memory card-like solution will be much cheaper and easier to use for consumers.

T0NY_HAYABUSA_ said:
    I wonder if that accounts for OS usage. Series X may have a similar capacity after the OS reserves what it needs.
    That's what I am wondering too. I saw someone said that 825GB is what there will be after the OS usage. They might've said it on the stream but I honestly don't speak nerd so I have no clue what was being said 99% of the time. No offense to anyone here.
  • LeyhkezeLeyhkeze123,918
    Posted on 19 March 20 at 14:58
    extrasafeivy said:
    People wanting PS3 BC just don't know how these systems are made. Was never going to happen, research a little before saying PlayStation are letting you down by not offering PS3 compatibility. As for this news, Xbox and PS5 seem very close on specs, with the PS5 a little less powerful which may work out on the price side of things. Price will be the determining factor, if PS5 is £100 less than the Xbox or vice versa we already know who'll get the sales. Developers will create games to the limits of the lesser console so Xbox's extra oomph will only show on their exclusives but will there be a good number? Now those who say the console wars have quietened, wait for it to get louder now.
    Have you heard about rpcs3?

And also, do you really think this difference will not show in third party games?
    Many things can differ, resolution, framerate, lod, ambiant occlusion, foliage density, and so on.
  • Posted on 19 March 20 at 19:15
    Leyhkeze said:
    And also, do you really think this difference will not show in third party games?
    Many things can differ, resolution, framerate, lod, ambiant occlusion, foliage density, and so on.
    The thing is, it's not just TFLOPs and raw power that affects how the game performs on a system. For example one of the factors is which system is easier to work with, which was one of the main reasons PS3 was failing a lot, especially early on and often had worse quality in third party titles, despite being much powerful system.

We also have to see how impactful the IO throughput actually is, because it is literally twice as fast than XSX one. Will game developers be more limited by this or the amount of TFLOPs in years to come is yet to be seen.

In general I feel like people are too obsessed with raw spec numbers. Both of these systems will be WAY more powerful than what we're used to. And in the end it's not really the numbers that decide which system will be better (especially since we all have our own preferences)
    Gaelic Flame - Hybrid created from Rathalos and Kushala Daora materials. Its cut is a death sentence
  • Salt_AUSalt_AU707,629
    Posted on 20 March 20 at 00:30
    It is only as good as the games available for it and Sony and their developers pretty much nail it every time. Looking forward to it day one.
  • MayadomeMayadome523,354
    Posted on 20 March 20 at 02:35, Edited on 20 March 20 at 02:35 by Mayadome
    T0NY_HAYABUSA_ said:
    That's what I am wondering too. I saw someone said that 825GB is what there will be after the OS usage. They might've said it on the stream but I honestly don't speak nerd so I have no clue what was being said 99% of the time. No offense to anyone here.
    I'd say that will be the case but I'm no expert on memory configurations. It just seems like... an odd number. If you buy a 500GB XB1 it comes out as about 360GB of usable storage despite being advertised as 500GB.
    Feel The Ether
  • Posted on 20 March 20 at 03:40
    As long as it plays games in true 4K, 60fps, SDD upgrade and eliminates loading screens............ whos going to complain?
  • mysticmoshmysticmosh1,066,859
    Posted on 20 March 20 at 19:33
    That is a seriously small storage. I was hoping for at least 2-3TB. Not everyone likes to wipe games off their consoles and some like to have access to multiple games at any one time. With some games nearly touching 100GB a time this generation, what sense does 825 GB storage make in the next gen?.
    As for backwards compat, I just don't have any reason to want to play something as old as a ps2 game on a ps5. The ps3/4 games will still have a presence without BC if Sony continue with the ps now service. I know that's not everybody's cup of tea, but isn't the idea of moving on with a new system and new tech to play the new games and not use the new tech to play stuff that could be from over 15 years ago?. I'll still use my ps4 a lot to start with (especially if we get Lego games releasing on both platforms!laugh), my ps3 a lot less and my ps2 not at all (nothing to do here with having too many consoles, I just didn't get rid of any!). I have an xbox 1 x and have never played a BC game on that either.
  • saturnsailorsaturnsailor164,678
    Posted on 20 March 20 at 21:11
    extrasafeivy said:
    People wanting PS3 BC just don't know how these systems are made. Was never going to happen, research a little before saying PlayStation are letting you down by not offering PS3 compatibility.
    The only hope for PS3 compatibility will be streaming games on PS Now, like now. If you ask me that's good enough, even though I have a decent collection of PS3 discs. PS Now saves me from buying more used PS3 ones, which is good, I don't want to grow this collection at all, I just want to experience those games and move on.
  • PipsqweekPipsqweek1,979,551
    Posted on 21 March 20 at 08:01
    mysticmosh said:
    That is a seriously small storage. I was hoping for at least 2-3TB. Not everyone likes to wipe games off their consoles and some like to have access to multiple games at any one time. With some games nearly touching 100GB a time this generation, what sense does 825 GB storage make in the next gen?.
    Not really, if you factor in all the other stuff.
    Simply from a cost perspective, 2-3TB for a custom SSD of this speed, would be seriously expensive.
    There is also going to be an expansion bay for another SSD which must match the speed of the original.

With using the new Kraken compression tool. you'll get around 10% more compression, making the file smaller.

SSDs have virtually zero seek time, therefore no need to duplicate assets, like they did with Spiderman in order to speed up loading.

No more loading screens or game designs that mask loading, so those assets aren't required anymore.

All this leads to a much smaller file size.

So, if you were to build a 100g PS4 game using PS5 tech, it would be a dramatically different file size.

All drives lose space when being formatted, so the only question is, is the 825Gb pre or post formatting? I hope it's the latter.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads