Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TT Newshounds can start threads here.

Report suggests a single PS5 unit costs $450 to manufacture

• CanezzaCanezza65,903
  • Posted on 14 February 20 at 13:55Permalink
    Well hopefully the price tag will go no higher than $500.
  • Posted on 14 February 20 at 14:07Permalink
    T0NY_HAYABUSA_ said:
    Well hopefully the price tag will go no higher than $500.
    I highly doubt it. There's still distribution costs to account for, and at least some of the money spent on marketing gotta be earned back. And then perhaps a profit margin, since Sony is a for profit company after all.
  • Skydude252Skydude252294,559
    Posted on 14 February 20 at 14:15Permalink
    They sold the ps3 at a loss, they may do the same with the ps5 to get that money back with subscription and software sales. Especially if it’s priced low to compete with the new Xbox. $500 seems likely.
  • Posted on 14 February 20 at 14:21Permalink
    They will wait to see what MS prices the Series X at then go from there.
  • Posted on 14 February 20 at 14:55Permalink
    Skydude252 said:
    They sold the ps3 at a loss, they may do the same with the ps5 to get that money back with subscription and software sales. Especially if it’s priced low to compete with the new Xbox. $500 seems likely.
    Yes, and then as years go by and the components' price inevitable decreases they may recover that initial loss. Including the loss from units stolen and sold by thieves on eBay.
  • MayadomeMayadome395,974
    Posted on 15 February 20 at 05:39, Edited on 15 February 20 at 05:47 by MayadomePermalink
    The specs are simply too high. When the PS4 released it had equivalent of a 7870, a fairly low to mid end video card that cost around $200 (not the exact numbers so don't quote me on it). Couple that with the awful CPU running slow cores (albeit a lot of them), and a bottom of the barrel laptop 5400rpm hard drive that is worth $20 today (which funnily enough is still used in the Pro and XB1X but with doubled capacity). The PS4 was a fairly modest system at the time compared to its PC counterparts. It wasn't entirely impossible to build a pretty similar spec PC for around the same price as the PS4.

Fast forward to 2020 with the PS5 and we have specs that a $1000+ computer has. AMD's latest Zen 2 architecture for the CPU, a 5700 equivalent GPU, GDDR6 memory, and the cherry on top a premium NVMe equivalent SSD storage device. These are all mid to high end premium parts. Fitting all that into a $500 box, let alone a $400 box is pretty much impossible unless they take a huge loss. I said from day 1 that we could see a $599 console like the PS3, and this seems more and more likely unless Sony somehow takes a huge loss or the rumoured specs are more than what they actually are.

It actually makes sense that Microsoft wants to keep supporting the Xbox One S and X systems when Series X comes out. I think the Series X will be a highly premium console in specs and price so it would make sense to have the X at a mid tier price and the S as an entry level price, at least for the first couple of years until prices can come down.
    Feel The Ether
  • a44Speciala44Special62,422
    Posted on 15 February 20 at 13:21Permalink
    If it's above $600 dollars on day one a lot of people, myself included will wait for a bundle deal or the likely PS5 PRO.
    All gave some, some gave all.
  • Posted on 15 February 20 at 20:26Permalink
    a44Special said:
    If it's above $600 dollars on day one a lot of people, myself included will wait for a bundle deal or the likely PS5 PRO.
    If it is that high, then I don't see it selling well.
  • soniqsoniq366,654
    Posted yesterday at 08:56Permalink
    a44Special said:
    I think everything over $500 is difficult to sell to a mainstream audience. Playstation is popular, but it's no new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S phone.

I'm also curious how the Corona virus will impact production of the new consoles and if they'll do another worldwide launch if supply is limited.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.